Bit by Dog

jonwilly

This morning around 08.30 I was bit by a dog. I had a Thai friend, check and he confirmed a small penetration on my leg. I went immediately to nearest hospital Siripat.

Emergency room 2 Drs confirmed a slight puncture and ordered a course of antibiotics.

B540 and following one shot, 4 more over next few weeks I was on my way in 40 mins from entering to leaving.

I would like to express my admiration for the polite, considerate, cheerful and pleasant manner shown by all staff from the man who parked and retrieved my M/cycle, to the Doctors, nurses and administrative ladies who took care of me.

I doubt if back in my own country I would have seen a Dr in the time it took to examine and treat me.

john

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

very good John ….  Thailand is not as bad as some would like to have us believe. 

I have always found most staff at hospitals, banks, supermarkets and restaurants to be as helpful as possible and always polite.

In my home country you would probably have to wait 1-2 hours, then get a bill for $100 minimum.

get well ...all the best.

17 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

Would you bite this?

A-stray-dog-01.jpg

I would take a pistol and put a bullet in its brain, if it had bitten me.  Yeah, you wouldn't have got that treatment in thevWest, because you would have been astronomically less likely to have been bitten to begin with.  A Dane friend had a very adverse reactions to the shots and ended up in a hospital in Singapore.

26 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Is the dog still alive? You should also produce the hospital bill to the dog owner.

Indeed, the dog must be put down, the body brought to the nearest Vet, checked for diseases, and only then can the victim be treated sensibly.

20 hours ago, jonwilly said:

I doubt if back in my own country I would have seen a Dr in the time it took to examine and treat me.

But, on the other hand we do not have rabies in my home country

(long quarantine for any dogs coming in)

Nor do dogs run loose biting ????

18 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Clean the wound:
Shot in each upper arm ( rabies and tetanus)
Cost 2,040 baht.

Return 4 more times over a month for rabies shots, 1,010 baht

Total 6,080 baht

And, where was this pricier treatment performed ?

~0:37;

12 hours ago, Trujillo said:

The verb is "bitten," not "bit." -- I was bitten by a dog. 

Having gone through this myself, you also should have been given a shot for tetanus, unless you had the three-shot protocol already sometime in the past 10 years. 

I thought that was a wader, type of heron. I always say "bited", saves confusion.

20 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Is the dog still alive? You should also produce the hospital bill to the dog owner.

Often such dogs don't have suddenly any owners. And if you find one and you are without a witness it will be hard to prove that it was his dog.

2 hours ago, mania said:

But, on the other hand we do not have rabies in my home country

(long quarantine for any dogs coming in)

Nor do dogs run loose biting ????

Only myself to blame for the following two dog bite anecdotes.

I was bit in Thailand, not too deep but there was blood. It was on my first trip and I knew little about the rabies aspect. However, as it was a small domestic dog (that I had reached through a gate to pet), I figured it not to be rabid. I sterilized the bite within two minutes, self treated more and never had a problem. 

I also had a bite in my home country from a domestic dog that had obviously escaped its confines and was running along the sidewalk of a busy main street. I had stopped my travelling to rescue it. This time, I don't think I self treated (maybe I did). However, that night, strange things started happening in my arm. I went to the hospital before midnight, where the doctor said had I waited until morning, I may not have been alive. The dog was normal but dogs do have a high level of bacteria in their saliva.

Good on the OP that he got proper care immediately. So would I if there is a next time (three strikes and you're out).

5 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

you are kidding - right? Was this a dog that you knew? 

I guess you didn't read my two confessions which I purposely put there to avoid responses like yours.

1) Only myself to blame for the following two dog bite anecdotes.

2) It was on my first trip and I knew little about the rabies aspect.

Have a great Sunday.

2 minutes ago, neeray said:

I guess you didn't read my two confessions which I purposely put there to avoid responses like yours.

1) Only myself to blame for the following two dog bite anecdotes.

2) It was on my first trip and I knew little about the rabies aspect.

Have a great Sunday.

It is not easy to control the responses you might get on any forum... 

you seem to like dogs, so, I could not understand that you don't know that they are territorial and by reaching into the space of a dog you don't know... well, I just don't think I have ever seen someone do that?? 

Sorry for your pain... rabies or not it is no fun to get bitten... You seem to like dogs, they are wonderful... get one for your own and it will love you forever. 

Thanks - you have a great Sunday too... I have a kid to drive around - I play soccer mom on the weekends.. 

Archived