Bit by Dog

jonwilly

On 9/8/2019 at 6:23 AM, mania said:

But, on the other hand we do not have rabies in my home country

(long quarantine for any dogs coming in)

Nor do dogs run loose biting ????

You don't go hiking in France obviously, where AHs farmers use these terrifying beasts to deter wolves from feeding off their sheep. They are totally aggressive, there have been several near fatal accidents and in most instances the farmers haven't been held liable.

Patous.JPG

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A word of warning to the OP and others.  I got bitten on the same day as this topic was started.  A reasonably nasty bite.  I went to the hospital within about 20 minutes for the full works and have been going back daily since for it to be cleaned.  By my own observations I can see that the wounds have developed cellulitis and today my cheery nurse told me that I have also managed to pick up gangrene.  So, rabies not withstanding,  if you do get bitten, don't hang about and think it will be fine.  Pop down to the hospital and get it treated, then cross your fingers (if you can) and hope for the best.

I never heard dogs in Thailand bite Korean or Chinese. Why?  Dogs know they will end up in the cooking pot if they do.

If you watch documentary films of dogs being transport to the slaughter house you will see those dogs all look very depressed and they don't even bark at all. They seem to know they going to die.

You will see in the film(youtube) the man stick a spear into the dog chest and all the other dogs are watching him killed. Unspeakable cruelty in countries that claim to have 5,000 years of civilization. (both Korea and China) of course Vietnam also eat lots of dogs.

On 9/14/2019 at 11:40 AM, jonwilly said:

Had jab No. 3 today. B390 same high standard of service by medical and support staff at Siraphat.

Two more to go, one next Saturday and final one on Saturday 5th of October.

john

Good to hear jonwilly.  For my story, yesterday I attended hospital as usual, but the treatment was a little beyond the norm compared to the previous days.  The doctor decided that the necrosis had become an issue, so more invasive treatment was needed.  He cut several large chunks out around the rotting flesh, which although not too painful due to the anaesthetic, was a seriously unpleasant experience.  Cost was another 5000b. So far it is totalling about 15k baht, with at least 2 weeks of daily treatment to go.  My cleaning today was the most fast and efficient yet, but hell it hurt.

28 minutes ago, Slip said:

Good to hear jonwilly.  For my story, yesterday I attended hospital as usual, but the treatment was a little beyond the norm compared to the previous days.  The doctor decided that the necrosis had become an issue, so more invasive treatment was needed.  He cut several large chunks out around the rotting flesh, which although not too painful due to the anaesthetic, was a seriously unpleasant experience.  Cost was another 5000b. So far it is totalling about 15k baht, with at least 2 weeks of daily treatment to go.  My cleaning today was the most fast and efficient yet, but hell it hurt.

geeeze Slip, that necrosis sounds rather aggressive …  sorry to hear your bad plight at this time.

I hope it clears soon and the healing progresses in a positive way.

4 hours ago, Slip said:

was this bite from a stray soi dog? where? please give details of the attack and what happened afterwards.

19 hours ago, fhickson said:

was this bite from a stray soi dog? where? please give details of the attack and what happened afterwards.

I don't want to hijack the thread (well anymore than I already have), but let's just say it was my own fault.  The fight was between my own two dogs that simply cannot tolerate each other.  I was daft enough to get in the middle by yanking one up in my arms.  (The one that would surely kill the other in a fair fight).  Meanwhile the other (the little one) leapt up and hung off the leg of the one I was holding.  In her panic she had a good old chew on my arm.  I was at A&E within 30 minutes, but it seems that the bacteria got hold all the same.  Such is life.  No good deed ever goes unpunished as they say lol.

Thank you Steven100 for your kind words.  I will live (well I hope I will 55).

On 9/16/2019 at 7:28 PM, Slip said:

I don't want to hijack the thread (well anymore than I already have), but let's just say it was my own fault.  The fight was between my own two dogs that simply cannot tolerate each other.  I was daft enough to get in the middle by yanking one up in my arms.  (The one that would surely kill the other in a fair fight).  Meanwhile the other (the little one) leapt up and hung off the leg of the one I was holding.  In her panic she had a good old chew on my arm.  I was at A&E within 30 minutes, but it seems that the bacteria got hold all the same.  Such is life.  No good deed ever goes unpunished as they say lol.

take the dog to a vet and see if it is carrying anything.
sounds weird that the bite turned out so serious from an animal you own. i have owned animals my entire life both dogs and cats, been bitten many times.

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 5:19 AM, Vacuum said:

Is the dog still alive? You should also produce the hospital bill to the dog owner.

Only problem with that scenario is that if the dog bites someone its the devils own job "finding" the owner, however if you hit a dog in your car there are queues of people saying that you injured their prize thoroughbred pooch, and are looking for compensation !

living with two dogs that want to kill each other must be a bitich. the master is never an impartial party as dogs are pack animals and whomever is feeding them has an alpha role. that means your part of the problem. you need to find out whats going on here and things go back to normal. its typically a hiearchy problem where the two dogs are unclear of pecking order.

When I got bit it was :
Clean the wound:
Shot in each upper arm ( rabies and tetanus)
Cost 2,040 baht.

Return 4 more times over a month for rabies shots, 1,010 baht

Total 6,080 baht

Painful to my backside and my wallet !!
Op got off lightly.

Pattaya City Hospital charged me 3,000 baht for initial Rabies shots and wound cleaning. Because of the rip off bill padding there i went to Bang Lamung hospital for subsequent 3 Rabies injections at 250 baht each

Op got off lightly.

Pattaya City Hospital charged me 3,000 baht for initial Rabies shots and wound cleaning. Because of the rip off bill padding there i went to Bang Lamung hospital for subsequent 3 Rabies injections at 250 baht each

Thinking about it now.
Probably the best result , get the cleaning done at a decent place and as quickly as possible and then the following shots can be sourced at a cheaper place.

Following Slip’s harrowing tale above speed of reaction and a thorough cleaning is all important .

4Th jab today. B360 and usual high standard of service from Thai staff, medical and auxiliary.

I feel I know the routine now better than the staff and now wonder if I am getting a discount down from B390 to B360, wonder if last jab, in 2 weeks, of 5 will be free !

john

4Th jab today. B360 and usual high standard of service from Thai staff, medical and auxiliary.
I feel I know the routine now better than the staff and now wonder if I am getting a discount down from B390 to B360, wonder if last jab, in 2 weeks, of 5 will be free !

john
Find out next time how long the vaccine last for, mixed reports online

23 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
1 hour ago, jonwilly said:

john

Find out next time how long the vaccine last for, mixed reports online

you mean sell-by date or in the body?? or both?

If you've previously been vaccinated against rabies, all it means is that if you get bitten and go for treatment, you would generally need one less injection (the immunoglobulin). You still need all the other injections.

People at high risk of contracting rabies (those working with rabies virus in research laboratories or vaccine production facilities, veterinarians and staff, and animal control and wildlife officers) usually get a booster shot every six months to two years to maintain immunity. If you're not getting regular booster shots, the immunity wanes, as @FredGallaher states.

there is a vicious loose dog guarding a car dealer on ring road.

i was watching traffic from an overpass and the dog came out onto the throughway and tried to nip at a passing motorbike!

this is a fast heavy traffic throughway.

the thai dude stopped suddenly with a chain and chased the dog back into the outlet. sounded like he calmly said "krup".

so thats the secret to not getting bitten when farang are not watching. ka poon krup.

On 9/16/2019 at 7:28 PM, Slip said:

Sorry but no wonder why people get bitten.

Doing what you did is crazy. The only way to separate fighting dogs is to kick them in the head, not difficult, and it has always worked for me even on the worst street dogs. But yes, I guess it could not work on cops dogs trained to fight, or maybe if I should kick him strong enough to let him KO (but difficult I guess).

Archived