Granny caught trying to smuggle 6 kilos of gold ingots into Thailand

rooster59

Granny caught trying to smuggle 6 kilos of gold ingots into Thailand

IMG_9518-3-1280x720.jpg

Image: 77kaoded

Nong Khai customs stopped a 77 year old Laotian woman at the Thai Laos Friendship Bridge with six kilos of gold ingots hidden in a ladies bag under the driver's seat. 

The gold was wrapped in black tape. The Fortuner was being driven by a man and there was a child in the car. 

Onesee Pongsawan from Vientiane said she was on her way to take her grandson to see the doctor in Udon Thani. 

Customs said she was really going to sell the ingots on the black market. 

Laotians are able to get 7% more for the gold in Thailand than in Laos, customs explained. 

The gold is worth ten million baht after tax. 

The granny let it go so that charges against her would be dropped, reported 77kaoded.

Source: 77kaoded

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-09-07

40 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

So; the seven 'Hero's' in the picture are having a nice share out !

Well in the west, the govt would take it and waste it. So let the regular dudes get a few.

Its Tenderloin time.

This may be a bit naive, but is against the law to own gold?  Is against the law to bring gold into Thailand?  Maybe she is a little odd and likes to keep her gold with her for safety?  If the police thought she was trying to sell it maybe they should have waited until she actually tried to do it.

I hope she got a receipt and someone can point her to a decent attorney!

16 minutes ago, TGIR said:

Is against the law to bring gold into Thailand?

No.

But it is illegal to attempt to bring gold into Thailand (or your home country I suspect) without paying the relevant duty on it (it's called smuggling).

Slightly off track, but, what normally happens to the ill gotten gains that are recovered by the police here?

I thought I read before that the stations divide it up as a bonus type scheme
This of course could be completely wrong and incorrect information

Interested to know the facts of what happens to the drugs, money, gold and cars etc.....

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, Crossy said:

No.

But it is illegal to attempt to bring gold into Thailand (or your home country I suspect) without paying the relevant duty on it (it's called smuggling).

...but you can bring in 10 million in cash, and not hide it, and it's NOT smuggling?

35 minutes ago, 9653 said:

...but you can bring in 10 million in cash, and not hide it, and it's NOT smuggling?

But anything over 20k USD must be declared to customs on arrival.

One assumes that they will be expecting proof that the 300,000 USD cash was obtained legitimately.

On 9/8/2019 at 10:19 AM, Sticky Wicket said:

Why are they allowed to steal it off her?

If you leave or enter the USA with more than $10,000 worth

of currency, metals, bonds, etc. Without declaring it them the TSA can seize it. If you do declare it they may seize it under Civil Forfeiture laws because they think it may be involved in a crime.

Catch 22.

Archived