Oh Buddha!: Thais using Holy Water on the roads to stop the carnage

rooster59

Oh Buddha!: Thais using Holy Water on the roads to stop the carnage

1567772907805.jpg

Image: Thai News Agency MCOT

Thais have started using holy water on the roads to stop so many people dying. 

Locals in Ang Thong in central Thailand are convinced that mysterious spirits are at work as people keep dying in pairs at the Phai Thong intersection on Route 306.

So they got the monks at the local temple to bless some water and sprayed it on the road. 

A highway engineer said there were other more earthly reasons for the frequent accidents and said that the installation of an "optical speed bar" would be the answer. 

Thai News Agency MCOT reported that figures from the Thai RSC site indicated that 11,228 had died on the Thai roads from January to Sept 5th. 

A total of 630,894 had been injured so far this year. 

Top five in the provincial charts for road death were Bangkok (637), Korat (399), Chonburi (389), Chiang Mai (352) and Udon (299). 

Thaivisa notes that these are likely to be figures from death at the scene of accidents. It is widely accepted that the annual death toll in Thailand is around 25,000 people per year.

Source: Thai News Agency MCOT

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-09-07

Whoever wrote the title (which is not present in the MCOT version linked to) is undoubtedly culturally insensitive.  I doubt the author would have written "Oh, Mohammed", but seems happy to treat the name of the Lord Buddha disrespectfully.

Just now, Oxx said:

Whoever wrote the title (which is not present in the MCOT version linked to) is undoubtedly culturally insensitive.  I doubt the author would have written "Oh, Mohammed", but seems happy to treat the name of the Lord Buddha disrespectfully.

That's because the OP has confused Buddha with God, a common belief, even by many Buddhists; no-one at all confuses Mohammed with God

2 minutes ago, apophyss said:

When they will understand they looks so stupid to all the world ?

Every country does things that some assert "will make the country look foolish". It rarely does, especially in an age of a 24-hour news cycle, but most people simply don't care about faraway cities in their own country, let alone faraway countries

10 hours ago, Oxx said:

I'm pretty sure the Buddha doesn't really give a <deleted>.  

Now I know where to sell my magic snake oil.  

But in all seriousness, IvorBiggun2 made a comment in post #23 that could be true and cause even more problems. Would wearing an amulet while riding on a "blessed" road give many Thais the feeling of absolute invincibility? 

Breaking News.............

Police and several rescue vehicles were called to the Phai Tong intersection of route 306 in Ang Thong province this morning as twenty motorbikes and 10 cars lost control and crashed on an unexpectedly wet and slippery road which appeared despite the lack of rain in the area......  

Archived