TURP Operation, Still Suffering

ThaiPauly

6 hours ago, Sheryl said:

The rectal pain may be due to the constipation.

Try eating prunes and if that doesn't help try Senna tablets which you can buy at 7-11.

The longer the constipation continues the worse it will get and the  harder to resolve.

There is an oral  medication that will numb the urethra and stop the pain from the catheter. it is called Phenazopyridine  (generic name), brand names are Anazo,  Pyrizole, Sumedium , Uzone-T , Phendiridine , and Phenazopyridine T Man .

You may find it at a large pharmacy (does not require prescriotion) or else ask the doctor for it. It will dye your urine reddish orange so don't get alarmed by that.

With this medication plus relief of constipation I think you'll be able to make the trip homeeven if you have to do so with catheter in place.

Managed to go today thanks Sheryl, which was a relief, no straining as I am taking Senakot right now, ones that Tracyb recommended and I had already brought, however I will buy some Phenazopyridineas that sounds like a multi-tasking medication

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, ThaiPauly said:

Arghhhh,

I have just spent 20 minutes composing a post and it vanished.

TracyB, I hope your visit to immigration went well.

I have answered all the points you have brought up "bullet point style" to stop me waffling

*     Wittawatt never mentioned anything about a blood clot, I did pas some bloody urine for a few days

but that has stopped now

*     I am taking the tablets for constipation that you were taking, but after 3 days nothing so far

*     My rectum is giving me a lot of pain as is the catheter, but I suppose that is only to be expected

*     I am drinking at least 3 litres of water a day, trying to do it all before 4pm so I am not up all night

*     Wittawat never told me how large my prostate was, wheras Dr. Bunnakit (who trained him) told me it

was large 3 years ago when i started having mild problems. In fact Wittawat has never done a rectal 

exam on me, at least not while I have been awake

*    Lastly the BIG question TracyB...I know that eventually I will more than likely get better but will I be 

well enough to visit my children, grandchildren and my 90 year old father in 20 days time?

Thanks for taking the time to read all this, I think again it took me 20 minutes but no matter, it's all for my benefit but my bum has gone numb now so time for the lay-z-boy Downton Abbey and some water

Thanks very much

Paul

Hi Paul.....  see my message for some discussion.

On 9/7/2019 at 7:25 PM, BritManToo said:

Contact the airline and get them to take you around in a wheelchair, they will deal with the baggage.

Good point.

I had my gall bladder removed after a sudden attack whilst on a project in KL.

I wanted to return to Bkk to family as soon as possible. My company office KL arranged my air ticket on Malaysian Airlines and also booked a wheel chair to be at the airport kerb when the hospital car arrived at KL international a/port. It worked well, the same friendly and focused wheel chair attendant stayed with me until I was seated on the aircraft, and then on arrival in Bkk an attendant took care of everything from the door of the aircraft until we got out to the public arrivals area and my son took over.

I forget the fee but it was very minimal and I was expecting it to be a lot more. But the company medical insurance policy refused to reimburse the fee. 

14 hours ago, scorecard said:

Good point.

I had my gall bladder removed after a sudden attack whilst on a project in KL.

I wanted to return to Bkk to family as soon as possible. My company office KL arranged my air ticket on Malaysian Airlines and also booked a wheel chair to be at the airport kerb when the hospital car arrived at KL international a/port. It worked well, the same friendly and focused wheel chair attendant stayed with me until I was seated on the aircraft, and then on arrival in Bkk an attendant took care of everything from the door of the aircraft until we got out to the public arrivals area and my son took over.

I forget the fee but it was very minimal and I was expecting it to be a lot more. But the company medical insurance policy refused to reimburse the fee. 

Normally there is no additional charge from an airline for wheelchair service.  And it's also customary for the airline to provide an attendant who provides exact the type of good service that scorecard describes.  Even if the passenger is traveling with a companion, they have to accept the services of the attendant whose job it is to make sure the wheelchair is properly used and the passenger safe.  It's good form to tip the attendant, but there isn't an additional charge from the airline, so it's not surprising that the insurance company refused to pick up the "expense".

On 9/10/2019 at 4:59 PM, connda said:

There is another thread in the CM forum.  Dr. Witawat also performs Thulium laser enucleation surgery.  According to the thread I believe the price was 200K THB.  The Op TracyB had the procedure a couple of months ago and seems to be getting on fine.  I've put off surgery because TURP until recently has been virtually the only option that Thai doctors will perform and I've refused to go with TURP because I keep reading posts like yours.  I feel for you.  I really hope things get better for you soon. 

Spot on with that about TURP. When the time comes I will try Rezum. At the moment things aren't too bad and the Pygeum supplement I am taking seems to be working. I switched from beta-sitosterol (recommended by Xylophone - I had never heard of it), but actually I think for me they are about equally effective and I may change back. Another possibility is ryegrass, but I have not tried this yet.  Also, while a lot has been written about the benefits of saw palmetto on BPH, there do not appear to be any clinical trials that support this position.

In any case I really do not want to go on the meds either and the reason for this is that I seem to suffer exactly the same side effects to other medicines as my father, and he has suffered very badly with BPH meds and continues to suffer.

Would the above supplements help someone in TP's situation? It would certainly be worth looking into.      

It will be sub meatal stenosis (probably)  you did not do the rod diligently. Scabs,op tissue get into the pipes lodges at the bell end,the cock outlet gets smaller,difficulty passing water,becomes blocked.

i saw no need for the rod as passing water well,until 2/3 weeks down the road,like a  Lightning bolt at passing water,twice over it happened until learned to control flow without sudden stop,gees it was painful,went to govt. hospital ,where cock was opened up  500 baht.   The doc in India did follow up constantly I was rodding,saw no need at that point

Was couple of years now,2 hospitals approached so had clue at cost 6 to 7 hundred £s  turp or laser,if a lot of cutting  (mine was 140 grammes) hardly going to notice at flow of blood,took 3 day package,upped to 5 days as blood flow was still there,offered morphine strip at day 4 at the damned catheter was getting painful.

Was OK  shot like a bullet at first pee after op,that hurt too at strength of flow,like a jet.

My prostate was huge,biggest one operated on,dozens of doctors there at op observing. Prices will have gone up  was half the amount two years before. Fantastic treatment  eventually paid $700,they made a mistake I think  should have been £s

Was informed the prostate was cut back in a fashion that would not create any further problems

1 hour ago, ThaiPauly said:

I'm taking Saw Palmetto

It's the only herbal drug I had time to really research as everything happened so quickly.

They arrived just 2 days before the operation so I thought I may as well take them to save wasting them

A pal of mine down the road had the standard TURP done in Chiang Mai a few years back, he reports no problems but is told to still take the 5mg Finasteride tablets every day, or it'll grow back (That was done by the military doctor at McCormick for 40,000Bht).

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

A pal of mine down the road had the standard TURP done in Chiang Mai a few years back, he reports no problems but is told to still take the 5mg Finasteride tablets every day, or it'll grow back (That was done by the military doctor at McCormick for 40,000Bht).

That's interesting BM I am seeing my doc tomorrow and will ask his opinion on that.

I was aware that the prostate may grow back and the operation may need to be repeated in 5-10 years

18 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I hear finasteride  can give ED problems.

4 hours ago, GarryP said:

Spot on with that about TURP. When the time comes I will try Rezum. At the moment things aren't too bad and the Pygeum supplement I am taking seems to be working. I switched from beta-sitosterol (recommended by Xylophone - I had never heard of it), but actually I think for me they are about equally effective and I may change back. Another possibility is ryegrass, but I have not tried this yet.  Also, while a lot has been written about the benefits of saw palmetto on BPH, there do not appear to be any clinical trials that support this position.

In any case I really do not want to go on the meds either and the reason for this is that I seem to suffer exactly the same side effects to other medicines as my father, and he has suffered very badly with BPH meds and continues to suffer.

Would the above supplements help someone in TP's situation? It would certainly be worth looking into.      

I am taking saw palmetto, i had some urination problems though i changed something else too so i can't be sure its just the saw palmetto but my problems are gone. I might stop taking it once the tablets are done to see if the other change caused it. 

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I've been taking it for 6 months with no negative effects I can detect.

At 64 I'm still banging the misses 2x-3x a week.

But maybe that isn't enough for me to notice any dysfunction.

I said i heard it can give it.. its a known side effect. Your hair might be ticker now (one of the things it used for too). I considered taking it when I had problems with urinating but decided against it. All solved now either something else or the saw palmetto. 

Catheter Out, no infection , pee flowing freely..there area few niggles like dribbling but the doc says that's normal.

I have a follow up next Friday to see how I am progressing, and if the dribbling persists it will have to be assessed

Thanks for all your interest in this thread

On 9/13/2019 at 2:52 PM, ThaiPauly said:

Catheter Out, no infection , pee flowing freely..there area few niggles like dribbling but the doc says that's normal.

I have a follow up next Friday to see how I am progressing, and if the dribbling persists it will have to be assessed

Thanks for all your interest in this thread

Great to hear you're getting better.

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Great to hear you're getting better.

I wish I was.

Since my last report, the dribbling is worse, in fact I cannot stand up without wee ing myself. I am doing the excercises but nothing is helping.

Seeing the doc on Friday but am currently housebound, I have read that this problem can last anything from a few weeks to many months !!

• 2 months later...
On 9/9/2019 at 8:08 AM, ThaiPauly said:

Been back to see the doctor this morning, he was very concerned and gave me a lot of his time.

He took a sample of my pee to create a culture so at least if I still have an infection when I have to go and see him a week today he will have a better idea of my condition.

He is very confident that it will come right, which is very good news.

It's just the awkwardness of the catheter no for the next weeks, but I'll get used to it Britman has had his for ages I think...a very brave guy, especially putting it in himself.

I could NEVER do that

I had a catheter in for months. No way was I going to take up the option of doing it myself. Recommended period for each one is no more than 6 weeks before a change (in the UK). Some doctors/nurses are better at the procedure than others re smoothness of operation. Yes, one does get used to  having one, but not recommended indefinitely to avoid an operation.

On 9/16/2019 at 1:51 PM, ThaiPauly said:

I wish I was.

Since my last report, the dribbling is worse, in fact I cannot stand up without wee ing myself. I am doing the excercises but nothing is helping.

Seeing the doc on Friday but am currently housebound, I have read that this problem can last anything from a few weeks to many months !!

How is progress now since 2+ months have passed?

4 hours ago, JAS21 said:

When I had mine done the Dr said do not get bunged up ...he gave me these ...I still take them now and again ... one after every meal will fix you!! 

20191203_195509.jpg.2d4e256c6f224732a5537120598d7126.jpg

Best way to have regular, soft stool.

You can buy a can of 400g for about 180 baht,  much cheaper than these small packs. When opened the can lasts many months.

4 hours ago, SheungWan said:

How is progress now since 2+ months have passed?

Still incontinent.

I am learning to live with it now. Hopefully it will resolve itself, but there is nothing I can do about it

My wife has been very poorly so all my time goes on helping her, I don't really have the time for my problems

6 hours ago, uhuh said:

Best way to have regular, soft stool.

You can buy a can of 400g for about 180 baht,  much cheaper than these small packs. When opened the can lasts many months.

After several days post-op of using codeine, one is going to get backed up big time. The trouble is the agony when one eventually wants to go as it can only be likened to attempting to push out impacted hard rocks. Not a pretty process to go through.

17 hours ago, SheungWan said:

After several days post-op of using codeine, one is going to get backed up big time. The trouble is the agony when one eventually wants to go as it can only be likened to attempting to push out impacted hard rocks. Not a pretty process to go through.

This should not happen. 

It can only happen if the patient was eating regular diet before normal defecation began. 

That's a mistake. 

6 hours ago, uhuh said:

This should not happen. 

It can only happen if the patient was eating regular diet before normal defecation began. 

That's a mistake. 

Diet did not come up as an issue. Offered laxatives but if one is in some pain discomfort and taking the stronger pills then some relief not to have to go due to immobility. Only after returning home and reducing/stopping the codeine in favour of paracetemol did the rumblings begin.

On 9/12/2019 at 10:16 AM, BritManToo said:

Interesting advice because I was advised post-op to stop taking Finasteride and Tamsulosin and bin any remaining supplies I had.

On 12/3/2019 at 8:06 PM, JAS21 said:

When I had mine done the Dr said do not get bunged up ...he gave me these ...I still take them now and again ... one after every meal will fix you!! 

20191203_195509.jpg.2d4e256c6f224732a5537120598d7126.jpg

That doesn't work for me I'm afraid (and I have had a TURP but have a slow digestive system) and I feel that constipation and urine retention are linked.......SO I now take a glass of 100% Sunsweet Prune juice when I wake up and it works a treat.

Archived