Jump to content
BANGKOK
ThaiPauly

TURP Operation, Still Suffering

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, ThaiPauly said:

If I have to learn to self-catheterize as much as the idea fills me with dread I will just have to do it

I'm hoping it doe not come to that though

You would be surprised what you can do TP if you have to!!

 

I had to self catheterise about three times a day after I had the permanent catheter and bag removed in Australia, and I did this for about a week or more (can't remember exactly as it was over 10 years ago).

About a year ago I was finding it difficult to pass water again and some bladder neck surgery was done here, and I don't believe it was done well, however for up to a month after that I had to self catheterise to "retrain my bladder" as the specialist said. Even now I have rubber gloves and spare catheters in the house just in case I have to start again.

 

I did start to pass water again, but to no great extent and that has remained until this present day, when I worry that I may have to get another TURP of some description done, as apparently the prostate can grow back again within this timeframe. 

 

If I do have to have another operation, then I will go to Australia and try to get the REZUM process as the whole thing is over and done with in about 30 minutes and one can walk out after the surgery. It may be new although it has had some field trials and is seen to be successful, however I will put up with the uncertainty rather than go through the <deleted> that I have been through over the past 10 years.

 

All the best and remember that there are other folks on here who have had similar and it has been many weeks if not months before they have come right again.
 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, xylophone said:

You would be surprised what you can do TP if you have to!!

 

I had to self catheterise about three times a day after I had the permanent catheter and bag removed in Australia, and I did this for about a week or more (can't remember exactly as it was over 10 years ago).

About a year ago I was finding it difficult to pass water again and some bladder neck surgery was done here, and I don't believe it was done well, however for up to a month after that I had to self catheterise to "retrain my bladder" as the specialist said. Even now I have rubber gloves and spare catheters in the house just in case I have to start again.

 

I did start to pass water again, but to no great extent and that has remained until this present day, when I worry that I may have to get another TURP of some description done, as apparently the prostate can grow back again within this timeframe. 

 

If I do have to have another operation, then I will go to Australia and try to get the REZUM process as the whole thing is over and done with in about 30 minutes and one can walk out after the surgery. It may be new although it has had some field trials and is seen to be successful, however I will put up with the uncertainty rather than go through the <deleted> that I have been through over the past 10 years.

 

All the best and remember that there are other folks on here who have had similar and it has been many weeks if not months before they have come right again.
 

That sounds terrible, and you have my complete sympathy. I got the guernsey ( on a much lower level ) by being catheterised six weeks in a row during BCG treatment.

While I seem to be keeping obstruction at bay with saw palmetto, the REZUM information is very interesting. Thanks.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ThaiPauly.  Did Dr Witawat perform a standard TURP or did he perform laser surgery? 
Hope things get better for you quickly.  Hang in there!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, connda said:

ThaiPauly.  Did Dr Witawat perform a standard TURP or did he perform laser surgery? 
Hope things get better for you quickly.  Hang in there!

Hi Connda,

 

It was the standard procedure. The doctor made scant mention of the laser.

 

It's way more expensive though. I don't know how much it is at Bangkok Hospital but at Bumrungrad prices start from 400,000 baht

 

But they say it's less painful with a faster recovery time.

 

If I was a middle eastern gentleman with oil money to burn (which a lot of Bumrungrad's patients are) I would have gone for that, but alas........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, connda said:

There is another thread in the CM forum.  Dr. Witawat also performs Thulium laser enucleation surgery.  According to the thread I believe the price was 200K THB.  The Op TracyB had the procedure a couple of months ago and seems to be getting on fine.  I've put off surgery because TURP until recently has been virtually the only option that Thai doctors will perform and I've refused to go with TURP because I keep reading posts like yours.  I feel for you.  I really hope things get better for you soon. 

 

 

Hi,

Still no regrets having the Thulium laser prostate surgery at BKK hosp. Chiang Mai.  My final bill was 210,000.

Dr. Wiitawat is the best!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ThaiPauly,
 
Did you have the older, hot wire TURP, or the, Laser TURP? I've heard pain when urinating is common with the older TURP.
 
 I had Laser TURP done in India, 2 1/2 years ago. The surgeon told me there would be no pain, no incontinence, and no erectile problems.  He was right.
 
 However, after a week in India, I got home and there was no improvement in my condition. I wrote to the Dr., explained what was happening and he said I shouldn't be having problems. He said I could have developed a stricture and to go to my urologist and have him insert a Foley catheter into my bladder and then remove it. Well, my urethra was REALLY tender, so that wasn't going to happen.
 
 I was not too happy and didn't know what to do, so I did nothing. Then, after 3 weeks, I noticed some improvement. After that, it got better and better and by week 8 I was satisfied with the results. My urine stream was strong (not like a fire hose as some say), and it was steady. No more stop-start, stop-start, and never knowing when I'm finished. I could leave the house, run errands, visit someone and not have to till I get home!
 
 There was very slow improvement for a full year until I felt that's as good as it's gonna get. There was another TVF member who went to India after me and his story is very similar to mine.
 
 I was under the impression you walked out of the hospital and everything was fine, just like a kid again.
 
So, ThaiPauly, I hope this gives you some comfort. It just may take awhile. 
Were you happy with your India experience? finding a hospital, doctor and the cost? would you recommend exploring the India option for medical treatment?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tracyb,

 

Thank you for posting such a detailed report. There is so much in it I want to discuss with you, but would it be alright if I could get back to you tomorrow,? I am too tired to think straight today, I spent half an hour being worried sick about my 90 year old dad because I could not reach him on the phone...after I phoned my sister in the UK  to get her to find him  she told me it was Tuesday...I call him every WEDNESDAY, he is deaf and only answers the phone at pre-arranged times...what a stupid sod I am !!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ThaiPauly said:

Tracyb,

 

Thank you for posting such a detailed report. There is so much in it I want to discuss with you, but would it be alright if I could get back to you tomorrow,? I am too tired to think straight today, I spent half an hour being worried sick about my 90 year old dad because I could not reach him on the phone...after I phoned my sister in the UK  to get her to find him  she told me it was Tuesday...I call him every WEDNESDAY, he is deaf and only answers the phone at pre-arranged times...what a stupid sod I am !!!

Contact me anytime!  Tomorrow I’ll be having my annual adventure at CM IMM for my retirement extension.  I’ll answer You as soon as possible after I’m done there, ok?  Keep drinking water!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tracyb said:

Contact me anytime!  Tomorrow I’ll be having my annual adventure at CM IMM for my retirement extension.  I’ll answer You as soon as possible after I’m done there, ok?  Keep drinking water!

I will post something in the morning and you can answer it when you are done.

 

Good luck at immigration tomorrow, I will be praying for you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Arghhhh,

 

I have just spent 20 minutes composing a post and it vanished.

 

TracyB, I hope your visit to immigration went well.

 

      I have answered all the points you have brought up "bullet point style" to stop me waffling

 

*     Wittawatt never mentioned anything about a blood clot, I did pas some bloody urine for a few days

       but that has stopped now

 

*     I am taking the tablets for constipation that you were taking, but after 3 days nothing so far

 

*     My rectum is giving me a lot of pain as is the catheter, but I suppose that is only to be expected

 

*     I am drinking at least 3 litres of water a day, trying to do it all before 4pm so I am not up all night

 

*     Wittawat never told me how large my prostate was, wheras Dr. Bunnakit (who trained him) told me it

       was large 3 years ago when i started having mild problems. In fact Wittawat has never done a rectal 

       exam on me, at least not while I have been awake

 

*    Lastly the BIG question TracyB...I know that eventually I will more than likely get better but will I be 

      well enough to visit my children, grandchildren and my 90 year old father in 20 days time?

 

 

 

Thanks for taking the time to read all this, I think again it took me 20 minutes but no matter, it's all for my benefit but my bum has gone numb now so time for the lay-z-boy Downton Abbey and some water

 

Thanks very much

 

Paul

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So sorry to hear your in such pain Pauly !

 

Just reading your story made my knees weak. I hope you turn a corner

sooner & your recovery speeds up so your trip to the UK is comfortable & enjoyed

 

Chok Dee!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The rectal pain may be due to the constipation.

 

Try eating prunes and if that doesn't help try Senna tablets which you can buy at 7-11.

 

The longer the constipation continues the worse it will get and the  harder to resolve.

 

There is an oral  medication that will numb the urethra and stop the pain from the catheter. it is called Phenazopyridine  (generic name), brand names are Anazo,  Pyrizole, Sumedium , Uzone-T , Phendiridine , and Phenazopyridine T Man .

 

You may find it at a large pharmacy (does not require prescriotion) or else ask the doctor for it. It will dye your urine reddish orange so don't get alarmed by that.

 

With this medication plus relief of constipation I think you'll be able to make the trip homeeven if you have to do so with catheter in place.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...