TURP Operation, Still Suffering

ThaiPauly

52 minutes ago, xylophone said:

That doesn't work for me I'm afraid (and I have had a TURP but have a slow digestive system) and I feel that constipation and urine retention are linked.......SO I now take a glass of 100% Sunsweet Prune juice when I wake up and it works a treat.

I can personally confirm that link. In my early 20's I was  struck  by a small motorcycle directly on my  coccyx which resulted in it being broken/dislocated into what was described as an "anteverted" position. In basic  terms it means it is very close  to my bowel so when it is  full it makes more pressure on the prostate area. Because I now have a very large prostate that does cause me  some problems but which are much relieved once I have had a "dump". Luckily my  constitution favours me that function without assistance.

This  topic  has been  very interesting to  follow because  although I have an annual digital exam ( more out of concern about cancer than anything else) I am resigned to the  fact that at  some future  time I will have to consider some sort of procedure for  prostate reduction because it has been  described as  very large and  my PSA levels are  quite high.

All that aside I do admire all those who have  been and faced the trauma of the problem.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

This  topic  has been  very interesting to  follow because  although I have an annual digital exam ( more out of concern about cancer than anything else) I am resigned to the  fact that at  some future  time I will have to consider some sort of procedure for  prostate reduction because it has been  described as  very large and  my PSA levels are  quite high.

All that aside I do admire all those who have  been and faced the trauma of the problem.

I suppose it depends upon what you mean by "quite high", because I have a couple of friends here who have had quite high readings, but they have settled back down into a "normal" type reading after time.

Well I have had a TURP and a bladder neck incision/reworking and these days it is nothing to worry about in general, although poor ThaiPauly seems to be going through the mill after his operation. And as for a prostate removal, well that is a lot better than it used to be, and with the new da Vinci robotic system, then side-effects are minimised.

I came across this https://urobop.co.nz/ the other day because I have always known that this particular surgery in the Bay of Plenty in New Zealand is a world leader in prostates and associated workings, so if I have to have anything more serious done, then I will head back to NZ for it. Interesting reading though.

13 hours ago, xylophone said:

That doesn't work for me I'm afraid (and I have had a TURP but have a slow digestive system) and I feel that constipation and urine retention are linked.......SO I now take a glass of 100% Sunsweet Prune juice when I wake up and it works a treat.

Sure it does. 

Prune juice contains Sorbitol which is a laxative.

Mucilin is soluble fiber and thus more physiological, it is more the natural way

7 hours ago, uhuh said:

Sure it does. 

Prune juice contains Sorbitol which is a laxative.

Mucilin is soluble fiber and thus more physiological, it is more the natural way

Sure it doesn't, nor does it for people who have a very slow digestive system, as I have, and this is a known condition although not that common. It was diagnosed back in 1982 when I had extended tests at a BUPA Hospital in London.

For folks like me the problem with stuff such as Mucillin and many others like it, is that it is too slow to get through the digestive system, thereby partially exacerbating the problem of constipation, fibre or not, whereas prune juice which contains natural sorbitol works in a different way.

Please believe me when I say that there is not one natural fibre type that I haven't tried, from eating bowlful's of porridge in the morning and afternoon through to the exotic "fibre" called Glucomannan......and everything else in between.

Anyway, prune juice comes from dried plums and is natural, so I am very happy to continue with this regime.

17 hours ago, xylophone said:

Sure it doesn't, nor does it for people who have a very slow digestive system, as I have, and this is a known condition although not that common. It was diagnosed back in 1982 when I had extended tests at a BUPA Hospital in London.

For folks like me the problem with stuff such as Mucillin and many others like it, is that it is too slow to get through the digestive system, thereby partially exacerbating the problem of constipation, fibre or not, whereas prune juice which contains natural sorbitol works in a different way.

Please believe me when I say that there is not one natural fibre type that I haven't tried, from eating bowlful's of porridge in the morning and afternoon through to the exotic "fibre" called Glucomannan......and everything else in between.

Anyway, prune juice comes from dried plums and is natural, so I am very happy to continue with this regime.

Ok, you may be right.  But you seem to be a special case. 

When I wrote  "natural" I didn't mean the natural origin of the laxative, I meant the physiological way our digestion works. 

I wanted to write "it's more the physiological way" and then I thought "natural" might be easier to understand ????

Anyway, I like Sheryl's suggestion that actual prunes combine fiber and sorbitol

6 hours ago, uhuh said:

Ok, you may be right.  But you seem to be a special case. 

When I wrote  "natural" I didn't mean the natural origin of the laxative, I meant the physiological way our digestion works. 

I wanted to write "it's more the physiological way" and then I thought "natural" might be easier to understand ????

Anyway, I like Sheryl's suggestion that actual prunes combine fiber and sorbitol

555, hopefully not that "special"! And there is quite a bit written about people with slow digestive systems who don't respond to bulking fibre, so I was so pleased to come across this research when I had tried just about everything, and also I wasn't keen on laxatives that artificially stimulate the digestive system (believe me I was getting desperate!).

Prune juice suits me because I don't actually like the taste of prunes and eating a bowl of prunes is one hell of a struggle, whereas quickly swallowing a glassful of prune juice gets it over and done with, and I am careful to try and get some fibre in my diet, so the combination works well.

Anyway, getting a bit off track, and only hope that ThaiPauly is getting some relief from his symptoms after the TURP.

On 12/5/2019 at 6:33 AM, Dumbastheycome said:

This  topic  has been  very interesting to  follow because  although I have an annual digital exam......

Immediately prior to the operation I was asked if I would agree to a couple of medical students making a digital examination while I was in the theatre. I'd signed off on everything else, so hey, why not. The one time I did balk at medical student participation as opposed to observation was when I declined to let the students do a catheter change. I know they have to get some practice somewhere, but the risk of an uncomfortable changeover was one I didn't fancy at the time. Some of you guys know the difference....

Archived