Beware people stealing your Facebook username and password

rooster59

Beware people stealing your Facebook username and password

1567778904126.jpg

Image: Thai News Agency MCOT

Thai News Agency MCOT warned Thais about being conned into revealing their Facebook usernames and passwords. 

They said that strangers unknown to Facebook users were contacting them to claim that people were exposing them as cheating others and being in debt. 

It was a ruse to get them to reveal their username and password on a fake site that looked like Facebook. 

They were sent a link and when users were tricked they revealed their personal data which was then stolen.

Facebook usage in Thailand - and particularly Bangkok - is among the highest in the world, notes Thaivisa.

Source: Thai News Agency MCOT

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-09-07

I only use FB to stay in touch and communicate with a few trusted friends and family.

I established an email address that I only use to register on FB, I use a fake name and the wrong birthday. The only real thing is my profile picture. 

Very very interesting.

I for one have never and will never have Facesbook.

I trust nothing about it.  Seems especially in Thailand for braggarts or insecure people needing to post a photo they are at Starbucks having a coffee...

But interestingly, for some reason I occasionally get some sort of Facebook email from some Thai account not sure why.

Then,  I search a name of a person I know on Facebook and come up with a bunch of posts and personal information on the person.

Wow, seriously?

I believe it has major security issues and am so glad I do not have it.

Good luck to all who feel this is necessary in their lives.

I for one can certainly live without it..

18 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I only use FB to stay in touch and communicate with a few trusted friends and family.

I established an email address that I only use to register on FB, I use a fake name and the wrong birthday. The only real thing is my profile picture. 

Whoa, just wait for biometric profiling of your profile picture to work out who you are.

I'd suggest adding a false nose and dark glasses immediately. Chop an ear off and they'll think you're really Van Gogh.

22 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Whoa, just wait for biometric profiling of your profile picture to work out who you are.

I'd suggest adding a false nose and dark glasses immediately. Chop an ear off and they'll think you're really Van Gogh.

If they did that maybe I could find out what breed of dog I have lol ????

1 minute ago, Fred white said:
25 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

If they did that maybe I could find out what breed of dog I have lol

I'm sure someone will claim it's a Shih Tzu. But then I bet they've never been to that zoo.

I have a FB account with some fake data just to be able to read "public" stuff especially from my huge circle of two friends :smile:. No active contribution at all.

It's quite hard to avoid using FB content at all. So many businesses use it as only form of presentation.

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

It is easy to report you to FB who will then require you to submit photo ID such a passport and that will be your future user name.

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

Does all that get around the TM30?

1 minute ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

It is easy to report you to FB who will then require you to submit photo ID such a passport and that will be your future user name.

Call my local bank, they have so many copies of my passport I now understand where the rain forest is going. ????????

26 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Who cares? I will simply set another account befriend the same people, or stay out of FB all together.  

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

i just ordered a very sophisticated disguise from Amazon.

Take that Facebook!!

Image result for groucho marx disguise

18 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Very very interesting.

I for one have never and will never have Facesbook.

I trust nothing about it.  Seems especially in Thailand for braggarts or insecure people needing to post a photo they are at Starbucks having a coffee...

But interestingly, for some reason I occasionally get some sort of Facebook email from some Thai account not sure why.

Then,  I search a name of a person I know on Facebook and come up with a bunch of posts and personal information on the person.

Wow, seriously?

I believe it has major security issues and am so glad I do not have it.

Good luck to all who feel this is necessary in their lives.

I for one can certainly live without it..

I disagree with the  comment above! I am in my mid-60’s and find FB more of an asset than a burden ( true, I am not on it daily). Since I have taught at 5 international schools around the world, it has “reconnected” me with my former students who are now successful adults with various jobs. It is priceless to hear from them. Also FB has reconnected me with friends from my high school and university days. And with “Messager” it is private for communicating & I always have a good phone connection when calling (free).  True, I am not a big fan of seeing pet or baby photos posted by my FB “friends” but we all go through various stages/ interests during our lives. (I’ll put up with posted baby or pet photos if my FB friends can handle my travel photos to Bali, Vietnam, Cambodia or Thailand-555.)  Yes, my FB identity has been hacked a couple of times where a message was sent out to my FB friends stating that I needed “financial help” due to being stranded somewhere. But all my friends on FB are savvy enough not to believe this nonsense. 

One must remember that FB is a bit of a facade... no one is going to post photos of their daily routine ( cleaning the toilet, taking out the garbage, or some other noneventful routine. ) -So FB can give one a feeling that everyone’s life is exciting and running smoothly... which is untrue for all of us. We all have personal challenges in our daily lives or weeks of boredom. Something to remember when looking at FB. 

18 hours ago, sirineou said:

I read recently that Facebook's Terms of Service Agreement require the use of real names.  

17 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

I have a FB account with some fake data just to be able to read "public" stuff especially from my huge circle of two friends :smile:. No active contribution at all.

It's quite hard to avoid using FB content at all. So many businesses use it as only form of presentation.

I'm the same and sometimes use it to gain information on others. More fool them i say.

29 minutes ago, toenail said:

And with “Messager” it is private for communicatin

I think that depends on your definition of private......

I understand your reasoning but I would not trust Faceache (or Google) even with a VPN and make sure to delete any browser cookies if I happen to go to one of their pages.

2 hours ago, toenail said:

I disagree with the  comment above! I am in my mid-60’s and find FB more of an asset than a burden ( true, I am not on it daily). Since I have taught at 5 international schools around the world, it has “reconnected” me with my former students who are now successful adults with various jobs. It is priceless to hear from them. Also FB has reconnected me with friends from my high school and university days. And with “Messager” it is private for communicating & I always have a good phone connection when calling (free).  True, I am not a big fan of seeing pet or baby photos posted by my FB “friends” but we all go through various stages/ interests during our lives. (I’ll put up with posted baby or pet photos if my FB friends can handle my travel photos to Bali, Vietnam, Cambodia or Thailand-555.)  Yes, my FB identity has been hacked a couple of times where a message was sent out to my FB friends stating that I needed “financial help” due to being stranded somewhere. But all my friends on FB are savvy enough not to believe this nonsense. 

One must remember that FB is a bit of a facade... no one is going to post photos of their daily routine ( cleaning the toilet, taking out the garbage, or some other noneventful routine. ) -So FB can give one a feeling that everyone’s life is exciting and running smoothly... which is untrue for all of us. We all have personal challenges in our daily lives or weeks of boredom. Something to remember when looking at FB. 

I agree I am 72 now and use FB to communicate with my friends all over the world

and use Messenger as well and I can always tell who I am talking to because I use

the camera

just use common sense;

- have a secondary email address for social media and such like

- dont put things like your real DOB or phone number (facebook keeps asking for my phone number, no way will they get it)

- enable privacy setings

- dont accept friend requests from people you dont know

- dont put any personally identifiable information on line

or simply dont bother with social media, which is quite a nice place to be.

40 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:
2 hours ago, neeray said:

And now in other parts of the world, there is FakeBook Dating.   

Next thing you know, Zuckerberg will announce that he is buying Greenland. 

Why not? hes got more money than Trump has

Don't be absurd!

I reckon if/when FB will have some issues hence not working in Thailand or be banned ( Id love to see that happening ???? ) Most if not all of them will be  tempted to commit a suicide, they literally can’t live without it !

I’ve just told this to some of my students they turned blue ???? Can’t even imagine to think a life without this dodgy FB..

What a world of mappetts ????????‍♂️

Fyi, apart from FB there are many other means of communication far better than FB & Instagram ( same thing )  ????

I use fb and instagram a lot. It has grown my business and I have reveived sponsorship from a sports company simply because of the number of followers.

Though it did take me a while to understand how to use it properly, the way its intended, to help and promote my work.

It has more than tripled my income so I would not be happy if hacked.

Archived