Operating small farm. How to?

banagan

Ok, I know nothing John Snow, so go easy.

I'd like to know more about running a small farm in Chiang Mai, possibly organic tomatoes.

What's the avg rent per Rai, for somewhere close enough to the city?

What's a normal lease? 5 years, 10? more?

How difficult is it to set up a proper business, with the correct visa?

Are there gov incentives for starting up a local business?

For trying to find land the only way is to put your Thai in to practice,  and go out and ask ,some one some where will know ,that is how we found our fist place we rented ,Thai word of mouth works well.

Re lease, I would find your land ,then offer a carrot ,say 3 years rent up front  ,go and buy a By-San-Yar ,in Thai ,a contract form ,then a stamp from the local Aumpure to make it legal ,a few years ago when sugar cane become popular in this area ,3 year leases where common ,all the money  was paid up front ,also 3 years will give some idea  if you like the idea of farming ,ie making some money.

Visa's, as a lot of members know on here we rear a few cattle ,all the paper work is in my wife's name up to press no problems with Dor-Mor, immigration  just keep to your self ,learn some Thai ,and get to know your neighbors .

No government  incentives here in Thailand for stating up a local business.as for "setting up ",we just brought in some dairy heifers and started rearing them , and put in a few rie of corn ,no paper work .

Organic tomatoes ?where would you sell them ?

As is often stated, you want a small farm? start with a big one.

This is my first year at farming in Thailand, organic rice for whatever reason, not certified but it should be good eating.

Only have five rai and if we get enough water until harvest, will be happy.

Good luck 

15 hours ago, kickstart said:

For trying to find land the only way is to put your Thai in to practice,  and go out and ask ,some one some where will know ,that is how we found our fist place we rented ,Thai word of mouth works well.

Re lease, I would find your land ,then offer a carrot ,say 3 years rent up front  ,go and buy a By-San-Yar ,in Thai ,a contract form ,then a stamp from the local Aumpure to make it legal ,a few years ago when sugar cane become popular in this area ,3 year leases where common ,all the money  was paid up front ,also 3 years will give some idea  if you like the idea of farming ,ie making some money.

Visa's, as a lot of members know on here we rear a few cattle ,all the paper work is in my wife's name up to press no problems with Dor-Mor, immigration  just keep to your self ,learn some Thai ,and get to know your neighbors .

No government  incentives here in Thailand for stating up a local business.as for "setting up ",we just brought in some dairy heifers and started rearing them , and put in a few rie of corn ,no paper work .

Organic tomatoes ?where would you sell them ?

Thanks for the tips. I have a Thai agent who helped me buy a condo, I'm sure she could help with sourcing a plot of land. 

All I need now is a Thai I can trust.

Not set on Tomatoes, would research what crops are most profitable and suitable for the soil.

Also interested in other types of farming, fish, insects, hydroponics.

Archived