Old habits die hard: Stores try to cut down on plastic bags, but shoppers remain stubborn

rooster59

Old habits die hard: Stores try to cut down on plastic bags, but shoppers remain stubborn

By The Nation

800_230cabe003751f1.jpg

After a rescued dugong died from ingesting plastic bags, Thailand has been on high alert about plastic pollution. This topic is being widely discussed among Thai netizens, who have been suggesting many measures, including controlling the use of plastic bags at supermarkets and convenience stores.

Upon asking CP All – the owner of 7-Eleven convenience stores – about their measures and results, it said they have enforced a strong policy to reduce the use of plastic over 10 years. Its campaign, “reduce plastic bags every day, you can do it”, has saved the company the cost of 646 million plastic bags, and this money saved will be donated to hospitals for medical equipment. As of August 29, CP All said it has donated Bt126 million.

campagn1.jpg

Tesco Lotus began campaigning for customers to “say no to plastic” since 2015 and even introduced a variety of incentives such as reward points. As of August this year, Tesco had implemented a policy of not giving out plastic bags for purchases of one or two items at all its 1,800 hypermarkets.

campagn3.jpg

According to Amazon Café, the number of clients who bring their own cup for coffee has risen from around 1.8 million in January 15 to 2.2 million by August 15. In about seven months, Amazon coffee shops were reportedly able to reduce the use of 16.7 million plastic cups, averaging at 2.2 million cups per month

campagn2.jpg

However, when we monitored the Amazon Café near Interlink Tower during lunch break for an hour, we discovered that not a single person had brought their own cup to the coffeeshop. This is even though staff insisted that 20 to 30 regular clients brought their own cup for a Bt5 discount.

We also wanted to see if the behaviour of shoppers has really changed.

So, on August 31, we decided to count the number of customers at Tesco Lotus and 7-Eleven who rejected plastic bags. The test at Tesco Lotus (Seacon Square) ran for an hour from 12.45pm, and we found that 453 shoppers still asked for plastic bags, while only 29 either rejected a plastic bag or used their own cloth bag.

During the hour, we discovered that on average, individual shoppers used one or two plastic bags, while a family of four averaged at eight to 10 plastic bags. There were eight shoppers who used both plastic bags for wet products and cloth bags for dry products.

Another test at a 7-Eleven opposite Central Plaza Bangna for an hour from 10am showed that 27 customers still demanded plastic bags, while 23 people who bought either cigarettes, bottled water or coffee rejected plastic bags. Only three people were seen bringing their own bags.

After learning about our tests, Tesco Lotus announced on September 2 that all express checkout lanes at 200 of its hypermarts will become “green lanes” and will not give out plastic bags. It said its goal is to close the loop on packaging, not to just limit single-use plastic bags.

Though it is not yet clear if the measure will work, the company is obviously taking a first step towards a better environment.

The government recently announced that by the end of this year, Thailand will stop producing three types of plastic – microbeads, cap seals and oxo-degradable plastic. It also aims to stop single-use plastics by 2022.

20190831110451002.jpg

Though the joint effort by the Natural Resources and Environment Ministry and the supermarket network has reduced more than 2 billion plastic bags or 5,755 tonnes of plastic valued at Bt400 million since July 21, 2018 to August 31, 2019, experts doubt if this is enough to end the pollution.

Anusorn Tamajai, dean of Economics Faculty at Rangsit University, said that the government must come up with both short and long-term measures to tackle the pollution problem, and suggested the introduction of pollution tax.

Though many conservation organisations and related government agencies have suggested that the state impose “green” or “pollution” tax to tackle the problems of air and plastic pollution, there has been no clear message on the subject from the government.

Another suggestion is to impose the “polluter pays” principle, in which the producer of the pollution must cover the cost of damaging people’s health or the environment.

This policy has proved to be successful in many countries. Ireland was one of the first countries to levy a tax on plastic bags in 2002 and has managed to reduce the consumption of single-use plastic bags by 90 per cent, generating US$9.6 million (Bt294 million) for environmental projects.

20190831110451460.jpg

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30375937

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-09-08

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our local Tesco has tried to introduce large brown paper bags on 3 occasions I know of. Customers seem to be OK with them but the checkout staff get very frustrated trying to unfold and pack them.

Stores like Makro will not allow you to carry reusable carry bags with you into their stores so one has to go through their bullshlt method of placing items from one trolley into another as they are being checked out then repacking in the boot of the car. These effin wackers are not trying to help the situation

42 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

Another suggestion is to impose the “polluter pays” principle, in which the producer of the pollution must cover the cost of damaging people’s health or the environment.

This policy has proved to be successful in many countries. Ireland was one of the first countries to levy a tax on plastic bags in 2002 and has managed to reduce the consumption of single-use plastic bags by 90 per cent, generating US$9.6 million (Bt294 million) for environmental projects.

It is good to see the beginnings of a serious policy to reduce the use of plastic bags in the kingdom; it is long overdue.

I started to carry my own plastic bags to the market a few years ago, and I have seen an excellent response from the stall ladies. Initially, they didn't care a whit, but over time they grew to appreciate what I was doing, and now when I enter the market, they nudge their friends and say things like "that is the Farang who brings his own bags" and "he is so eco-friendly that I want to throw my knickers at him". Now, they chastise me if I forget and I have gotten numerous discounts over the last while because of this.

However, in order to make serious progress in Thailand, I wholeheartedly believe that there needs to be a tax on plastic bags (perhaps 5 Baht a bag?), and that tax needs to be advertised widely, often and loudly. I like the Thai people, but I doubt that they will do much UNLESS there is a financial cost to using the bags.

I rarely say this, but kudos to CP ALL and Tesco for trying...

Those damm Dugong they need to be shipped off to some remote island...We need our plastic and the Dugong keeps eating it........I am no cloth bag carrying sissy...My grandfather used plastic bags, My father used plastic bags, And you know what? I plan to carry on the family plastic bag tradition...

31 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

I wholeheartedly believe that there needs to be a tax on plastic bags

Disagree. Plastic bags should be banned period. The government and private sector strategy of using fewer bags, less harmful plastics, or pay for bags is all nonsense because none of these strategies solves the problems. Why don't we cut to the chase here? If people want a bag, sell them a RECYCLED PAPER BAG. Problem solved before the year is out. We need 0 plastic bags out there, not billions. But no one has this vision.

2 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

perhaps 5 Baht a bag

The real problem is the street food vendors and the mico thin plasics ....take a minute to watch this someday ,come to beach rd and look at the piles of trash  made up of street vendor plastics ...absolutely thoughtless mindless abuse,it just thai nature to eat most meals this way ,and this will never change...

7 minutes ago, blackcab said:

Some branches of Homepro in Bangkok have completely stopped giving out plastic bags for free. You can buy a plastic bag for 1 baht each.

Bizarre, in Chiang Mai Homepro has totally banned all plastic bags, no options of buying them

I was just reading the Bangkok post article about 26 retailers agreeing to stop giving out free bags next January. It's high time and this should have been done years ago, but Thais are going to really struggle to adjust to this. 

I think many people (including myself) reuse the plastic bags from supermarket for trash bags at home. Educating people on alternative trash bags might help- I live in a condo where we place our small trash bags in bins on each floor which the maid empties daily. 

Also so I think much shopping can be impulsive and not planned so that shoppers might not have their cloth bags with them when they shop. I am currently visiting Bali...when I brought my purchases to the counter she asked if I had a bag, when I said no she added cost for a cloth bag automatically to my bill. If they did this in Thailand I think people would change their habits quickly.

21 minutes ago, blackcab said:

Some branches of Homepro in Bangkok have completely stopped giving out plastic bags for free. You can buy a plastic bag for 1 baht each.

I had to pay 59 baht yesterday at the Gateway Homepro for the only bag available and it was still made out of plastic.   

21 minutes ago, DoctorG said:

Whilst shopping in OZ I use a backpack but many places in Asia will not allow you to take a backpack into the store. I guess the theft risk is too high.

Tops feels the need to stick paid labels on every single item then sign the paid labels, not going in there again on a no bag day. I had my own bag bought from them but still had to go through this nonsense

3 hours ago, canopy said:

Disagree. Plastic bags should be banned period. The government and private sector strategy of using fewer bags, less harmful plastics, or pay for bags is all nonsense because none of these strategies solves the problems. Why don't we cut to the chase here? If people want a bag, sell them a RECYCLED PAPER BAG. Problem solved before the year is out. We need 0 plastic bags out there, not billions. But no one has this vision.

Agreed but there needs to be a suitable waterproof alternative for bin bags coz that's often what people re-use plastic shopping bags for. That's half the solution - supply and subsequent use (demand).

3 hours ago, canopy said:

Plastic bags have other uses. Trash bags. Protective packaging. And so on. Can’t be replaced by paper.  

A solution is using compostible bioplastic bags. They break down into natural materials quickly when exposed to the elements. But the cost is three times as much as regular bags, around 1.5 Baht each. So retailers haven’t adopted them. 

2 hours ago, Farma said:

The wife's businesses have both paper and plastic bags. Most customers ride motorbikes and prefer plastic due to possible rain on their ride home.

Yeah I thought that yet the times I get caught in the rain I'll try and continue using my Friendship bag for life.

Those paper bags with handles and that are not waterproof are not very good at all.

Banning bags won't work: would be more observed in the breach, etc. Like helmet laws. Perhaps 5 baht tax on each bag sold wholesale level & gov advertising widely that customers (or retailers) will be expected to pay that 5 baht.

"People respond to incentives" to quote freakonomics. Money gets people's attention, "moralsuasion" (save the earth, etc) doesn't do the job. I believe in treating the people gently, but first ya gotta get their attention.

I was recently caught in Tops on one of their bag free days. This policy is idiocy. Three quarters of the store is packaged in plastic or supplied with plastic bottles. And they want to attack plastic bags, which are reused most often as trash can liners?  Stupid. When I got to the check out line, Tops said no bags and offered me cardboard boxes. Cardboard boxes? How was I supposed to walk around the mall with cardboard boxes doing the rest of my shopping? A couple of plastic bags is easily manageable. But three or four unwieldy cardboard boxes is not, especially when one arm is already full of a large container of repaired shoes. I just left the food items on the Tops checkout counter and walked out. This is nothing but a virtue signalling feel good policy that has zero effect on a clean environment. If they meant it, they would be using glass bottles with return deposits. 

4 hours ago, bdenner said:

Our local Tesco has tried to introduce large brown paper bags on 3 occasions I know of. Customers seem to be OK with them but the checkout staff get very frustrated trying to unfold and pack them.

Stores like Makro will not allow you to carry reusable carry bags with you into their stores so one has to go through their bullshlt method of placing items from one trolley into another as they are being checked out then repacking in the boot of the car. These effin wackers are not trying to help the situation

We take our own re-useable bags to Makro every time we shop there. You only have to leave them at the desk and pick them up just before you go through the check-out, hardly a chore.

9 minutes ago, giddyup said:

We take our own re-useable bags to Makro every time we shop there. You only have to leave them at the desk and pick them up just before you go through the check-out, hardly a chore.

I shop at Macro, I have never known them to issue bags or pack into your bags,  They scan items and it remains in the trolley. At some point you take the items from the trolley and put in your own bags, usually as you load it into the car. Why are you leaving bags at the desk ?

Just now, Peterw42 said:

I shop at Macro, I have never known them to issue bags or pack into your bags,  They scan items and it remains in the trolley. At some point you take the items from the trolley and put in your own bags, usually as you load it into the car. Why are you leaving bags at the desk ?

You are wrong. We leave our bags at the desk until we are ready to go through the checkout, then the checkout girl loads our groceries into our bags, with our help. There are two trollis involve, the one we have full and one in front with our own bags, which is then wheeled to our car. We don't use one bag supplied by Makro. Normally we have at least 5 or 6 big re-useable bags.

We accept free one use plastic bags then use them in the bins for rubbish. If we didn’t have these we would be using plastic pedal bin liners. So what’s the difference? Is there such a thing as recycled paper pedal bin liners?. Also If rubbish is not in a bag (loose)the bin men just leave it so it’s a bit of a vicious circle.

Archived