Chinese exodus

phycokiller

https://calvinayre.com/2019/09/06/business/sihanoukville-cambodia-sees-chinese-exodus-following-gambling-ban/

according to this article theres a mass exodus of chinese from cambodia. the article has many errors right from the first sentence and i have heard nothing about it but it is being posted on other sites. I dont see how a ban on online gambling could lead to an exodus, is there any truth this story?

Edited by phycokiller

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I'm guessing Chinese nationals were running the online gambling from Sihanoukville.

Now there's no work for them, they are all going home.

still work for them, you can run online gambling from anywhere. you only need a few people to run a website. I cant see how this would effect a large amount of people

Edited by phycokiller

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/18/2019 at 7:53 AM, CaptainNemo said:

I haven't met and Cambodians who are happy with the situation, and I was talking to some last night, I think they'll be relieved if it's true, they seem to much prefer westerners for all kinds of reasons.

the westerners arent coming. I think they are going to be out of luck

I think much of this was simple hysteria. Stories tend to get exaggerated. Yes, there were some layoffs of Chinese due to the announced ban on internet gambling, and I think the new prakas banning foreigners from self employment had a chilling effect. There definitely was some kind of impact from these announcements, because I do have first hand reports of people having difficulties booking flights to China for a few days. But things seem to be completely normal now. This is going to shut down a sizable portion of the money laundering activities that were providing growth. But I suspect cooler heads have now realized they simply have to adapt rather than completely abandon the country.  There are still many avenues left to exploit.  They just need to push the more eggregious behavior underground a bit more.

https://cne.<deleted>/2019/09/19/chinese-gambling-exodus-overblown/

But I do agree the average Khmer is not terribly happy with the direction the country is going. I suspect that is primarily what fueled the rumors.

• 3 months later...