Have there been any reports of denying TV at Chiang Mai airport?

I can remember people being denied entry (legitimately) when applying for visa exempt entry. As far as I know, they have never abrogated a tourist visa, only denying entry (if at all) according to the law. That is no guarantee for the future but, if entering at an airport with a tourist visa after a long sojourn in Thailand, Chiang Mai is the airport I would choose.

I was taken aside and interviewed for over 2 hours after returning on flight after 10 days in Burma to CM earlier this year.p and then let in.

I Have no overstays I’ve not done Visa runs just a genuine retired tourist.

They  just simply didn’t like the amount time I have spent in Thailand and number of stamps despite it being only the English winter.

hope this example helps.

Edited by PaulJ
Addition

20 hours ago, Los Luver said:

Just a thought:

If CM is still safe, the pressure will be high soon and ends up with treating visa runners in the same way as the others......

Nonsense, we are still a red area. Besides, there is nobody left to kick out anyway. Almost everyone left already.

Edited by tabarin

If you've ever been in the immigration entry hall at CNX, you'll understand why they don't hassle western tourists much, especially ones over age 50.  There are swarms of airplanes from China, some of them charter flights, that seem to arrive at the same time as the usual flights that westerners take.  The few immigration officers they have staffing the podiums (usually at about half strength), just want to clear out the hall.

1 hour ago, PaulJ said:

I was taken aside and interviewed for over 2 hours after returning on flight after 10 days in Burma to CM earlier this year.p and then let in.

I Have no overstays I’ve not done Visa runs just a genuine retired tourist.

They  just simply didn’t like the amount time I have spent in Thailand and number of stamps despite it being only the English winter.

hope this example helps.

Were you trying yo enter visa exempt, or did you have a visa? Most people do not seem to understand that the difference, officially, at least, is important. With visa exempt entry, immigration is making the same kinds of judgements made by consular officials when applying for visas at consulates. It is appropriate for them to have discretion and, indeed, they were instructed (back in 2014) to deny visa exempt entry to those using visa exempts to stay longer in Thailand than necessary for tourism purposes (though the prime minister stated that this rule should be applied flexibly).

On this occasion visa exempt I do understand the difference but take your point.

i was just saying in reply to original post that CM was harder for me on that occasion.I was just surprised as I have gone out my way to keep correct visits and times and it’s just for  tourism's

I am taking their advice and getting visa in UK which I have before.I accept things have changed.

14 hours ago, PaulJ said:

On this occasion visa exempt I do understand the difference but take your point.

i was just saying in reply to original post that CM was harder for me on that occasion

Your feedback is appreciated, and a reminder that while CM is a better bet than BKK, it's still not a guarantee if a person has some visa history.

Got in at CNX today no questions asked. A 3-month non-b business, a visa exempt and a tv from Savannakhet all maxed out, back to back in 2019. Blue stamp on the visa granted by the consulate in Saigon. Moving back to EU so I don't care anymore.

No 20k, no onward flight and no grumpiness from any official there. Getting to BKK domestically seems safer for visa runners.

The procedure to get the tv in Saigon was not pleasant though. Applications are allowed in the evening so it took me almost 2 hours to get the passport back. Lots of moaning, begging and blatant cue skipping by grown-up men who either forgot to do their homework correctly or booked a flight on that same evening without ever considering the possibility of a overwhelmed, dysfunctional Royal Thai consulate.

Whatever visa they were applying for I doubt it was their 1st one. Wonder if they could've known a bit better by now or whether they were just playing dumb in order to cut in line.

Guess some will keep playing roulette so here's a heads-up for you.

Edited by VictorInBKK

• 2 weeks later...

Brit Tim

I was coming  back in on a Visa exempt and I do agree and understand your points.Im trying to point out but I’m only in Thailand for 3 to 4 months of the year in the English winter I using exempt and Visas issued in England as far as I was concerned I did comply with everything Thailand required and I’m a genuine tourist. I’ve gone back to England I’ve got a year multiple entry non-immigrant visa.

best of luck to everyone 

3 hours ago, PaulJ said:

Brit Tim

I was coming  back in on a Visa exempt and I do agree and understand your points.Im trying to point out but I’m only in Thailand for 3 to 4 months of the year in the English winter I using exempt and Visas issued in England as far as I was concerned I did comply with everything Thailand required and I’m a genuine tourist. I’ve gone back to England I’ve got a year multiple entry non-immigrant visa.

best of luck to everyone 

I hope you do not think I was accusing you of anything. The point I was trying to make is that Immigration is supposed to screen requests for visa exempt entry, and they will get notifications to scrutinise you more closely as a genuine tourist if you have many previous visa exempt entries (since around the middle of 2015). Immigration at Chiang Mai airport apparently did just that, eventually concluding that you were eligible for a visa exempt entry. If you had been given the third degree when entering with a tourist visa, that would be a bigger concern.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, BritTim said:

I hope you do not think I was accusing you of anything. The point I was trying to make is that Immigration is supposed to screen requests for visa exempt entry, and they will get notifications to scrutinise you more closely as a genuine tourist if you have many previous visa exempt entries (since around the middle of 2015). Immigration at Chiang Mai airport apparently did just that, eventually concluding that you were eligible for a visa exempt entry. If you had been given the third degree when entering with a tourist visa, that would be a bigger concern.

I didn’t at all thanks for your post.I was just updating people 

cheers