Getting out of a trap

moogradod

My Thai stepdaughter (19) was forced to finish highschool because of unwanted pregnancy. She has joined us now in Pattaya to find a job and she did start work with one of the larger shopping center chains. No work contract was provided nor did they tell what the salary would be – which she regarded as normal during the first 3 months (trial time). Now after one month the salary has come and it is THB 8’000.— per month which I regard as not acceptable for the effort she spends.

So I want to get her out of that trap with additional education and quitting the current job. As she obviously cannot go back on the normal route (she has now the level Matyom 3, although attended highschool classes and she was actually quite good at school) I thought to use a pragmatic approach: 1. English, 2. Microsoft Office User Training (Word, Excel and just a bit of Power Point), 3. Driving license. 4. Typing skills. She is well versed using Social Media and Internet. For all first three I believe it is mandatory to finish with a recognized examination and not only an attendance certificate to help brush up the otherwise meager CV (no noteworthy previous working experience).

For language I would have picked AUA, but they do not have a center in Pattaya anymore I think. So I came across PLC in Pattaya, which do offer computer courses as well. They do not issue certifications but it is possible to take external exams for different levels according to the web. Will visit them soon. Time frame for the brush up before the next job application: 1 year.

The crucial point: Would this plan eventually enable her to get a better (paid) job at all ? If not what could be acceptable and better options ? Is PLC recommended ? Maybe someone has experience with all that and I appreciate any comments, thoughts that could help to improve the situation.

To put it politely the standards for Thai Citizens in Thailand seem to be quite different from where I have been living before. THB 8K for a month of 6 day weeks is less than a lawyer in BKK quoted me once for one single hour. And I have never heard of a reputable company employing someone without working contract and even without telling what salary one might expect. But maybe that is really the standard for young unexperienced Thai.

56 minutes ago, vinniekintana said:

A lifetime of low-paid jobs...

..or a well-off farang.

Sorted.

Pragmatic. But you can do one thing without blowing off the other. These well off and overall acceptable farangs are not just waiting around the corner either. But it can work if you are lucky. My wife and me is the very best example. Happy together since 17 years now. But I suspect this is not that common.

For the time being some English and MS Office and Typing (I learned 10 finger system some 50 years ago in school and although I got my further edu at both Zurich University and ETH it was one of the more useful things I did ever learn) . And learning languages is extremely useful in particular. Opens up many possibilities. Plus the driving licenses - better to have them than just driving around without - even for a Thai citizen.

She needs to enroll in a Kor Sor Nor tuition centre to get the M6 certificate. After that she can enroll in Thai "Open University" to get a Bachelors degree. That would get her the basic qualifications to head for better employment. It is possible to do all these while working at the same time. Many Thais do this.

9 minutes ago, cmsally said:

She needs to enroll in a Kor Sor Nor tuition centre to get the M6 certificate. After that she can enroll in Thai "Open University" to get a Bachelors degree. That would get her the basic qualifications to head for better employment. It is possible to do all these while working at the same time. Many Thais do this.

This sounds very good. Hope we have such a Kor Sor Nor tuition center nearby. I will for sure investigate in this direction. Thanks for the hint !

14 minutes ago, orchis said:

she could still get high school equivalency outside school hours.

Thank you but I am not sure I understand. Do you mean she can do home study while working ? Or enroll in some institution (probably like cmsally did suggest) ?

Honestly, if she is from a class/caste the Thais consider low, her options will be heavily restricted. 

For example, if she is a poor girl from a family in Isaan, any education will have limited impact on her upward mobility withing the Thai context. 

Also, without any serious long-term strategic roadmap, Thailand is going down the pan which further limits the opportunities for average Thais. 

That said, the plan you've laid out is quite modest. And with no disrespect to you, it's the type of plan that a step parent, any step parent, would have. In other words, most step parents can't love a child as a biological parent might. 

If her life is to be more successful, any plan needs to be dramatic, not modest. 

She needs to start absolutely drilling for the hyper-competitive world she is entering. Microsoft Office training was appropriate 20 years ago, but now the world is far, far different. 

Good skills for her would be those that allow her to be marketable outside of thr Thai strict caste and nepotism system. Such skills as:

1. High English or Chinese proficiency 

2. Information Technology trades 

3. Maths

If for example, she can code, she will be in demand as the Thais are generally terrible. The idea is to take stock of where the global economy is headed and develop the skills that will be and are in demand. 

If a plan is only going to be uninspired, I would not even worry about her. Let her biological parents manage it. 

I know people who make a nice living after a 2 week course Facebook advertising. Of course with some background and knowledge of the language of their clients, the market the clients are in etc.

>> 1. English, 2. Microsoft Office User Training (Word, Excel and just a bit of Power Point), 3. Driving license. 4. Typing skills.

That seems like a very nice start!

Education is critical, but it will be of little value (imo) if it does not follow the traditional Thai education path. And note that kids coming out of university after four years, say in accounting, are getting jobs that pay less than 15,000 per month. In Bangkok.

"Certificates" and certifications, I believe, have less meaning to Thai employers, than they would, say, in the US.

English is a very marketable skill in Thailand, but typically only when combined with an existing degree. It opens up more opportunities and a chance for a better salary. It is also very marketable in certain sectors - hotel industry comes to mind. If she had excellent English skills, there are numerous hotels desperate for English speakers for reception and customer service.

As mentioned previously, tech employees are in very high demand right now, and there are more jobs than can be filled. And, in general, these companies are more interested in skills than in education, but the education will still be a big help. It is not difficult to become proficient in HTML/CSS and JavaScript, if you are reasonable intelligent. And this can be learned on your own online. But you really need a mind for it.

The people I see who have no formal education, but still make a good living, are the Thai entrepreneurs that start their own businesses. People selling at the market, food carts, etc., make a surprisingly decent amount of money, albeit with hard work and some up front investment. The noodle cart across from my office is generating 20k baht of profit each month run by one woman. Another girl I know opened at karaoke bar that was generating 40k of profit each month. The caveat here is that most of these folks spent years in the school of hard knocks before they finally found the formula (business, location, suppliers, etc.) that brought them success. It is a tall order for a young woman. But, if she were to "apprentice" with someone, working for low wages, she could learn the trade and possibly run her own operation at some point in the future.

I think investing in strong English skills can never be a mistake. 

9 hours ago, cmsally said:

sound advice, like in most countries any decent employers want to see the bit of paper that confirms the level of education achieved, and the higher the level the greater the opportunities.

9 hours ago, cmsally said:

At least Mc Donalds, Kentucky fried chicken and 7/11 might give her a chance for 12k to 15k a month. 

15 hours ago, moogradod said:

This sounds very good. Hope we have such a Kor Sor Nor tuition center nearby. I will for sure investigate in this direction. Thanks for the hint !

If she can read, write and speak English to a high level (as if she had lived overseas) then she will be able to earn much more. 

We are trying to hire junior office staff but they need to be able to work with people who can only speak English, the applicants we are getting are all looking for salaries in the 25,000-40,000 range.   

If she can demonstrate a bit of initiative and the ability to think for herself, instead of being just a drone that needs to be told what to do all the time; and she has better than average English language abilities, then she should be fine.

18 hours ago, moogradod said:

The crucial point:

You talk alot about what you want for her... all good intentions, but much more important might be what she wants for herself... 

make sure she is involved in the process and assist where and how you can.

Best of luck to you... 

I am involved with helping many nephews and nieces... it runs from heart-warming to heart-breaking to totally impossible. Ultimately, it depends on their motivation and inclination. They all know their wants and inclinations better than I do. 

7 hours ago, AlexRich said:

Everything is possible but it all depends on the girl in question. If she is focused and motivated then you’re money and efforts will be well spent. But if she is not you are wasting both time and money. 

That is the key question. Many girls here seem to lack motivation. If she lacks the drive to improve her employment prospects. You are wasting money. 

32 minutes ago, nickmondo said:

How on earth does anyone survive here on 8k a month?

I am not talking about this particular girl, but for Thais in general.

Credit cards and huge debt I think.

Families sticking together plus this is a big factor in girls sticking with dead beat bf’s, no choice. 

Pattaya is a tough place to find a decent paying job for someone even with a traditional education in my experience.

My girlfriend has a Bachelors in Business Management, speaks English well and is highly skilled with all facets of the Microsoft Suite and self motivated. 

She was on around 30K as an insurance manager at a law firm in BKK but has only been able to find work in management at a pasta wholesaler in Pattaya, 15K monthly salary for 6 days per week plus commissions (when possible)

This is not meant to be advice to the OP but I thought it was worth sharing.  
A girl from my wife's village in Issan came to Pattaya to find work, it was her first time out of the province.  She too got a job with one of the major department stores in town and started out making about 8,000 THB.  She worked very hard and within one year she became manager of one of the 'express' stores opened by this chain and was making over 20,000 THB per month.  Her employer also helped her get a loan to buy a house, which she rents out as an investment.  Now she has a position where she goes around training new staff at locations around town.  

Anyone who understands employment in Thailand knows most staff will quit after a very short period.  I think the low paid entry level positions are there to weed out the lazy folks who have no real work ethic.  As an employer of Thai's myself, it doesn't make sense to invest much in every new hire that comes in the door.  However, those who prove themselves usually end up doing quite well.  Education or not.

Get her to learn how to code. It's free to learn online. After that she can pay to do the tests and get certificates. It seems intimidating at the start but there is always work to be found as a half decent coder with some certificates. Salary would at least triple and have a 5 day work week, then with freelance jobs on the side she will be able to make a decent living.

Your stepdaughter is 19. Would you consider her to be mature enough to start a modestly-funded (very little in fact) business? if she has a passion for anything, it is possible for her, with guidance from you maybe, to turn that passion into some kind of niche business, either directly from home and/or on the Internet.

Encourage her to research any ideas she may consider: The Internet is full of fantastic free help to discover "how" and "what" are the possible ways forward with a venture in just about any subject. There is plenty of rubbish and hype out there but we all have to learn how to filter it out to get at the real stuff.

Helping her to be independent, self -confident and other positive personality traits will be useful for her in anything she pursues in her life.

Let me say one thing about running any kind of business in Thailand or anywhere else for that matter. Do something that no-one else is doing or do what many people do but establish a new angle on it or simply do it better. Start small!

One idea springs to mind: her own story: She could offer help to those in a similar situation as herself, young, unwanted pregnancy, trying to look for work, what education to follow, her feelings about these very important issues that affect many thousands of young women in Thailand.

How to monetize? Again, research this.

Good luck to her and your efforts to make it happen for her

21 hours ago, moogradod said:

was forced to finish highschool

I assume that you mean forced to NOT finish high school.  Anyway, 8000 bht is not that bad for Thailand.  It is much better than most factory workers get and about the same as a new Police officer.

Archived