Jump to content
BANGKOK
maxcorrigan

Mint Booting problem!

Recommended Posts

Being a bit of a PC noob especially regarding Linux Mint, the problem i have is after running a 15 hr dban nuke, i have tried to get Linux Mint (latest version) running on an old ASUS laptop which formerly before dban was running windows vista, it starts up running in the USB boot sequence OK then gets as far as Mint icon with the 5 dots underneath, and then after a couple of seconds (with a couple of the little flashes top left hand screen) goes back to BSOD. i have tried several apps for burning to a USB stick all seemingly successful, and also tried booting from a DVD which i also burned successfully does'nt respond at all even though CD/DVD shows in the boot sequence, does anybody have any pointers to what i can do next (keeping it simple) at the moment all i've got is an ASUS brick!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since you are seeing the Mint icon, that suggests that Mint is getting started. The most likely problem, in my experience, is issues with hardware drivers. If there is a method to get Mint to boot with the console displayed, then this might provide you with better information on where the problem is:

 

   https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=210285

 

Otherwise, you might try installing another flavor of Linux (e.g., Ubuntu) to see if that is more successful.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, timendres said:

Since you are seeing the Mint icon, that suggests that Mint is getting started. The most likely problem, in my experience, is issues with hardware drivers. If there is a method to get Mint to boot with the console displayed, then this might provide you with better information on where the problem is:

 

   https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=210285

 

Otherwise, you might try installing another flavor of Linux (e.g., Ubuntu) to see if that is more successful.

Thanks for your quick response, the reason i went for Mint is it's resemblance to Win 10 desktop which i have got used too, other flavours of linux i can't comment on, The boot does'nt get as far as the console stage unfortunately so no help there!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you have another machine available to test with, you might try booting it with the same USB/DVD to see if it gets farther, but not actually installing. The point being to decide if it is the medium or the machine that is the issue.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, timendres said:

If you have another machine available to test with, you might try booting it with the same USB/DVD to see if it gets farther, but not actually installing. The point being to decide if it is the medium or the machine that is the issue.

Yes OK i'll give it a go, would prove that it might be the machine, will get back!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, maxcorrigan said:

Yes OK i'll give it a go, would prove that it might be the machine, will get back!

OK Just did that, and Mint loaded up OK got the page with three icons, install mint, Home page which opened up with various icons etc. so fault must lie in my other laptop!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, maxcorrigan said:

OK Just did that, and Mint loaded up OK got the page with three icons, install mint, Home page which opened up with various icons etc. so fault must lie in my other laptop!

OK Got it, tapped enter on the screen with the five dots (mentioned) and one of the options that came up was compatibility a whole load of text scrolled up and that was it, got mint!

Thanks for your help!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depending on your hardware you might want to install proprietary graphic driver. It will give you proper video acceleration and longer battery life. 

 

Open a console and type: "lspci -k". Post the output here and we could help you optimize your installation. 

 

The reason mint graphical interface sometimes fail to boot is because cinnamon uses composition. 

Edited by Tayaout
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

Depending on your hardware you might want to install proprietary graphic driver. It will give you proper video acceleration and longer battery life. 

 

Open a console and type: "lspci -k". Post the output here and we could help you optimize your installation. 

 

The reason mint graphical interface sometimes fail to boot is because cinnamon uses composition. 

Ok i'll try when i get it going again seems to have reverted to the old way again i spoke too soon!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, maxcorrigan said:

Ok i'll try when i get it going again seems to have reverted to the old way again i spoke too soon!

If the OS has installed but you lose the graphic then you will need to boot in console mode. From there you can install proprietary graphic drivers. You could also try another windows manager that doesnt use composition by default.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Tayaout said:

If the OS has installed but you lose the graphic then you will need to boot in console mode. From there you can install proprietary graphic drivers. You could also try another windows manager that doesnt use composition by default.

As an update i got it going again and set about installing on my PC, this is the second time i have tried, the install gets as far as the last part "restarting", then seems to get stuck, last night i left it on this restarting part and 3 hrs later it was still there, so turned off and am now running a dban (2nd time) to clear the junk that has happened with my two partly installed efforts so far!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe you should install Ubuntu Desktop (more user friendly).

 

If you like the look and feels of Cinnamon (default Linux mint windows manager) you can still install it on ubuntu: https://itsfoss.com/install-cinnamon-on-ubuntu/

 

When you login on your device you can then choose which Windows manager you want and can install as many as you want. Here is a list: https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/best-linux-desktop-environments/

 

My guess is you have an old laptop with a Nvidia graphic card. They were a common source of problem on older systems. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also using dban is an unnecessary step. When you install Linux it ask if you want to delete everything and install Linux or run Linux alongside an existing installation. Simply deleting everything and installing Linux will wipe the disk. dban is more usefull if you need to delete sensitive data before hand. There is better alternative on SSD and also full disk encryption. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2019 at 9:07 AM, Tayaout said:

Maybe you should install Ubuntu Desktop (more user friendly).

 

If you like the look and feels of Cinnamon (default Linux mint windows manager) you can still install it on ubuntu: https://itsfoss.com/install-cinnamon-on-ubuntu/

 

When you login on your device you can then choose which Windows manager you want and can install as many as you want. Here is a list: https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/best-linux-desktop-environments/

 

My guess is you have an old laptop with a Nvidia graphic card. They were a common source of problem on older systems. 

Been away for a couple of weeks, I am quite happy with mint 19.2 so far better than i thought i would be, other than the booting that is, which i have to do at the moment via boot sequence then alt. etc. after switching on pc, The graphics according to a label on the laptop read ATI RADEON HD 3470 BTW. I have tried boot repair app. a couple of times the results are seen below, so if i can get help in simpleton terms to alter the partition i will be very happy, sorry for crappy pix but i'm not PC minded enough to post otherwise   PS everything seems to be in triplicate, sorry for that!

IMG_20190919_121737_BURST001_COVER.thumb.jpg.07a047d5a1a8af4f43ab16620020b77f.jpgIMG_20190919_121737_BURST001_COVER.thumb.jpg.07a047d5a1a8af4f43ab16620020b77f.jpgIMG_20190919_121737_BURST001_COVER.thumb.jpg.07a047d5a1a8af4f43ab16620020b77f.jpgbelow, so if anyone can help in simpleton terms how to alter the partition setup might make a difference in the booting problemIMG_20190919_121737_BURST001_COVER.thumb.jpg.07a047d5a1a8af4f43ab16620020b77f.jpgIMG_20190919_121737_BURST001_COVER.thumb.jpg.07a047d5a1a8af4f43ab16620020b77f.jpgIMG_20190919_123550.thumb.jpg.3d23f8f2d4c2eb51c8259e70083cee18.jpgIMG_20190919_123550.thumb.jpg.3d23f8f2d4c2eb51c8259e70083cee18.jpgIMG_20190919_123550.thumb.jpg.3d23f8f2d4c2eb51c8259e70083cee18.jpgIMG_20190919_123550.thumb.jpg.3d23f8f2d4c2eb51c8259e70083cee18.jpgIMG_20190919_123550.thumb.jpg.3d23f8f2d4c2eb51c8259e70083cee18.jpgIMG_20190919_123550.thumb.jpg.3d23f8f2d4c2eb51c8259e70083cee18.jpgIMG_20190919_123550.thumb.jpg.3d23f8f2d4c2eb51c8259e70083cee18.jpgIMG_20190919_123550.thumb.jpg.3d23f8f2d4c2eb51c8259e70083cee18.jpgIMG_20190919_123550.thumb.jpg.3d23f8f2d4c2eb51c8259e70083cee18.jpgIMG_20190919_123550.thumb.jpg.3d23f8f2d4c2eb51c8259e70083cee18.jpg1283191863_20190919_1341581.thumb.jpg.7fed85e20478618cf03303c7a9f92f70.jpg1283191863_20190919_1341581.thumb.jpg.7fed85e20478618cf03303c7a9f92f70.jpgIMG_20190919_121737_BURST001_COVER.thumb.jpg.07a047d5a1a8af4f43ab16620020b77f.jpgIMG_20190919_121737_BURST001_COVER.thumb.jpg.07a047d5a1a8af4f43ab16620020b77f.jpgIMG_20190919_121737_BURST001_COVER.thumb.jpg.07a047d5a1a8af4f43ab16620020b77f.jpgIMG_20190919_123550.thumb.jpg.3d23f8f2d4c2eb51c8259e70083cee18.jpgIMG_20190919_123039.thumb.jpg.36e02bff74a0430116a05056cdb1d6c3.jpgIMG_20190919_123039.thumb.jpg.36e02bff74a0430116a05056cdb1d6c3.jpgIMG_20190919_123550.thumb.jpg.3d23f8f2d4c2eb51c8259e70083cee18.jpgIMG_20190919_123550.thumb.jpg.3d23f8f2d4c2eb51c8259e70083cee18.jpgIMG_20190919_121737_BURST001_COVER.thumb.jpg.07a047d5a1a8af4f43ab16620020b77f.jpg

Edited by maxcorrigan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...