BANGKOK
maxcorrigan

Mint Booting problem!

Gaah! Mod needs to edit that post and delete the duplicate images.

When you installed Mint you did a clean install and had Mint wipe the drive and install as the only OS?

Edited by Stocky

Are you installing on a fresh system? 

Check that the BIOS is not using MBR for booting instead of EFI or UEFI. You can change this in the BIOS menu when the computer boot. 

Your problem seems that you are missing the boot partition. It is usually done for you unless you manually partioned the partition. Boot repair are not that good. Usually to fix this you need to boot into Linux from a USB stick. Mount and chroot into the broken Linux install then reinstall grub. Unless you understand what I just said it's easier to do a fresh install. 

1 hour ago, Tayaout said:

it's easier to do a fresh install. 

+1 

8 minutes ago, Stocky said:

+1 

Thanks for your replies, trouble is trying to boot from a USB is not that easy it does not respond quickly have to keep trying over and over again many times before it suddenly opens, usually it goes straight to HDD which also does'nt start DVD does'nt seem to work at all!

As i said previously at the moment i can only start by going to BOOT >HDD >ENTER >ALT >ADVANCED >RECOVERY >START LINUX MINT 

8 minutes ago, maxcorrigan said:

Thanks for your replies, trouble is trying to boot from a USB is not that easy it does not respond quickly have to keep trying over and over again many times before it suddenly opens, usually it goes straight to HDD which also does'nt start DVD does'nt seem to work at all!

As i said previously at the moment i can only start by going to BOOT >HDD >ENTER >ALT >ADVANCED >RECOVERY >START LINUX MINT 

If you can enter the BIOS menu then you can boot from USB. Usually there is also a boot menu that can be accessed directly. 

What is the laptop model? 

3 hours ago, Stocky said:

Gaah! Mod needs to edit that post and delete the duplicate images.

When you installed Mint you did a clean install and had Mint wipe the drive and install as the only OS?

Yes after dban!

24 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

If you can enter the BIOS menu then you can boot from USB. Usually there is also a boot menu that can be accessed directly. 

What is the laptop model? 

Asus X59SL series

2 hours ago, Tayaout said:

Are you installing on a fresh system? 

Check that the BIOS is not using MBR for booting instead of EFI or UEFI. You can change this in the BIOS menu when the computer boot. 

Your problem seems that you are missing the boot partition. It is usually done for you unless you manually partioned the partition. Boot repair are not that good. Usually to fix this you need to boot into Linux from a USB stick. Mount and chroot into the broken Linux install then reinstall grub. Unless you understand what I just said it's easier to do a fresh install. 

I have done some of the things you suggest update grub etc. and update everything else as far as i know!

33 minutes ago, maxcorrigan said:

Asus X59SL series

The Notebook PC's power-ON message appears on the screen when you turn it ON. If necessary, you

may adjust the brightness by using the hot keys. If you need to run the BIOS Setup to set or modify the

system configuration, press [F2] upon bootup to enter the BIOS Setup. If you press [Tab] during the

splash screen, standard boot information such as the BIOS version can be seen. Press [ESC] and you will

be presented with a boot menu with selections to boot from your available drives.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/234029/Asus-F5gl.html?page=24#manual

Edit: Might have posted the wrong manual link. You can download the right one here: https://www.asus.com/supportonly/X59SL/HelpDesk_Manual/

Edited by Tayaout

9 minutes ago, maxcorrigan said:

I don't know if this tells you anything from the BIOS

IMG_20190919_185606xx.jpg

Take a picture of the security and boot tab. 

4 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

The Notebook PC's power-ON message appears on the screen when you turn it ON. If necessary, you

may adjust the brightness by using the hot keys. If you need to run the BIOS Setup to set or modify the

system configuration, press [F2] upon bootup to enter the BIOS Setup. If you press [Tab] during the

splash screen, standard boot information such as the BIOS version can be seen. Press [ESC] and you will

be presented with a boot menu with selections to boot from your available drives.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/234029/Asus-F5gl.html?page=24#manual

I just went to the main boot setup menu picked removable usb drive as main clicked enter then F10 ie keep settings and exit, it hangs for about 5 seconds then goes to normal HDD boot which brings up mint emblem this lasts for about another 5 or 6 seconds then black screen!

16 minutes ago, maxcorrigan said:

I just went to the main boot setup menu picked removable usb drive as main clicked enter then F10 ie keep settings and exit, it hangs for about 5 seconds then goes to normal HDD boot which brings up mint emblem this lasts for about another 5 or 6 seconds then black screen!

For the USB not booting try disabling secure boot in the security tab of your BIOS. 

For the black screen after boot this looks like video driver issue but hard to tell. 

If I was you I would simply install Ubuntu see if it fixes your issues. You can install the Linux mint desktop on Ubuntu it is called cinnamon. Linux mint is derived from Ubuntu which is derived from Debian. Debian has the option to install cinnamon directly from the installer but the distro is the least user friendly of the 3.

Edited by Tayaout

14 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

For the USB not booting try disabling secure boot in the security tab of your BIOS. 

For the black screen after boot this looks like video driver issue but hard to tell. 

If I was you I would simply install Ubuntu see if it fixes your issues. You can install the Linux mint desktop on Ubuntu it is called cinnamon. Linux mint is derived from Ubuntu which is derived from Debian. Debian has the option to install cinnamon directly from the installer but the distro is the least user friendly of the 3.

Referring to your post above this, pressing "tab" at the startup and after American Megatrends (or something) now goes straight to the screen below which is what i was using before, to get into mint, using "tab" cuts out the need of having to go to the boot menu select, then hit "alt" which then brings up the same option below, so have gained a little, a bit wary bout installing ubunto, as i presume it will wipe the mint i have already got which i said before took a hell of a long time to get to the position of installing!IMG_20190919_194400bb.thumb.jpg.3a6623135e3d921b889197b4b25a8da2.jpg goes straight to

32 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

I've tried looking for the secure boot option and cannot seem to find it anywhere, something i've wanted to do all along, if you know how please let me know!