Mint Booting problem!

maxcorrigan

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, maxcorrigan said:

Trouble is i have not been able to install anything from a USB until i have cleaned off all the stuff i have on the laptop hence the dban each time which takes 8 1/2 hrs

DBAN is overkill. Your trouble is booting from USB which is easier when there is nothing to boot from because of DBAN. You can press "ESC" right after you power on the laptop and then choose to boot from USB. If this fail you can also choose to boot from USB via the BIOS menu. 

47 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

Here is a thread about your graphic card (same laptop) : https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=282645

I will take the time to read it but seems like older version works fine.

The paths of least resistance at this point seem to be Linux Mint 18.03

Yes exact same model laptop and Sylvia seems the way to go, so goodbye Tina!

Thanks for your hard work and unceasing effort, you have pinpointed the exact problem. if i manage to install 18.03 it should work, but cannot afford to update correct?

46 minutes ago, maxcorrigan said:

If i manage to install 18.03 it should work, but cannot afford to update correct?

Hard to tell without trying. The thread say you need to login to cinnamon with hardware acceleration disabled. Mate and XFCE desktop seems to have better performance. The last post pointed out that your model of graphic card is losing support from the Linux kernel. If you choose to update and have the same issue you can usually boot with an older kernel from the grub menu. 

31 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

Hard to tell without trying. The thread say you need to login to cinnamon with hardware acceleration disabled. Mate and XFCE desktop seems to have better performance. The last post pointed out that your model of graphic card is losing support from the Linux kernel. If you choose to update and have the same issue you can usually boot with an older kernel from the grub menu. 

Update! Mint 18.3 booted straight away from USB have downloaded it after many freeze ups which has wiped 19.2, after downloading it said PC must restart which it did, just got to do some setting up now, first tried to download side by side but stated there was a problem, so had to re-install, will see about up-dating later, so we have proved a point, so thank you Tayaout once again you've been a great help!

32 minutes ago, maxcorrigan said:

Update! Mint 18.3 booted straight away from USB have downloaded it after many freeze ups which has wiped 19.2, after downloading it said PC must restart which it did, just got to do some setting up now, first tried to download side by side but stated there was a problem, so had to re-install, will see about up-dating later, so we have proved a point, so thank you Tayaout once again you've been a great help!

First problem keeps freezing up which means a restart every time!

8 hours ago, Tayaout said:

Did you login selecting software rendering in the drop down menu? 

Where is that, i just went through the procedure language, wi-fi etc. then it would freeze, start again freeze again a little bit further each time till i got it installed, then would freeze up again in use, am now going to download again using mint mate instead of cinnamon see if that helps!

59 minutes ago, maxcorrigan said:

Where is that, i just went through the procedure language, wi-fi etc. then it would freeze, start again freeze again a little bit further each time till i got it installed, then would freeze up again in use, am now going to download again using mint mate instead of cinnamon see if that helps!

Has'nt made much of a difference still freezing in "mint mate", Selected software rendering i believe i got through holding alt during startup chose >advanced >recover mode >open linux mint if that is what you were referring too, it has'nt made any difference though still freezes

1 hour ago, Stocky said:

What?!!? - no need, a clean install will overwrite everything anyway!

It would not boot from USB tried many many times, the only way was wipe the disk, even then took a lot of persuading to boot mint 19.2, but with mint 18.3 boots every time from USB or HDD and does all the overwriting  needed, only trouble now is it freezes a lot which so far needs a re-start each time!

58 minutes ago, maxcorrigan said:

It would not boot from USB tried many many times, the only way was wipe the disk, even then took a lot of persuading to boot mint 19.2, but with mint 18.3 boots every time from USB or HDD and does all the overwriting  needed, only trouble now is it freezes a lot which so far needs a re-start each time!

I'm 99% confident your freezing problem is an issue with the video driver. Your card is old and use proprietary driver. AMD since then has moved to an open source model that make it easier to get support from the Linux kernel. Try an older version of Mint if you don't mind.

30 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

I'm 99% confident your freezing problem is an issue with the video driver. Your card is old and use proprietary driver. AMD since then has moved to an open source model that make it easier to get support from the Linux kernel. Try an older version of Mint if you don't mind.

OK will try that!

7 hours ago, maxcorrigan said:

Has'nt made much of a difference still freezing in "mint mate", Selected software rendering i believe i got through holding alt during startup chose >advanced >recover mode >open linux mint if that is what you were referring too, it has'nt made any difference though still freezes

Update on Mint Mate been running for over three hours with no freeze, probably saying that will probably make it freeze solid next time i start, here's hoping!

Archived