Tie-ups with 24-hr convenience stores help banks flourish

webfact

The last times I visited both of my Thai banks was when my respective ATM card was up for renewal. Pretty much everything can be done online or at an ATM now, so I guess I won't be queuing up at a 7/11 for a bank transaction anytime soon.

I do realize that there are some transactions that cannot be done online or at an ATM (high amounts, getting a cashier's check, etc.). But you won't be able to do them at a 7/11 either.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, cmsally said:

I guess 7-11 employees are cheaper than bank tellers. If I were a bank employee I would be very wary of job security. In the next 10 years I would imagine many bank employees will be made redundant. It used to be one of those "jobs for life". Also I would imagine 7-11 don't provide pensions.

Fired bank employees can apply for jobs at 7/11 then. They are "High qualified" for doing bank transactions, but 7/11 customers will have to get a queue number for not to stress these spoilt new employees...

7 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

I got in a queue behind someone trying to do banking in 7-11 the other day...
I just quietly walked to the front & placed my basket on the end of the counter & mouthed "so sorry I'm not waiting" and walked out !

This did show them!

Gosh 7-11 workers are going to be the ultimate multitaskers!

Banking, groceries, bill paying, mobile top up and don't forget Barista. Some now have snazzy new coffee machines so you can have your cut price cappuccino while you wait!

5 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

7-11 doesn't provide any of the bank services. They only represent the banks who offer the services and I guess (never used 7-11 for banking) that they only provide the simpler services such as deposits and withdraws. 

That said - I don't think I'll ever use a 7-11 for my banking  activities such as deposit/withdraws which I can do through ATM / automatic deposit machines mainly due to privacy issues.

the more money channels opens the more insecurity comes with it Q..a dwqmaybe soon we will see an increase of robberys at 7/11 cause they are soft target 

6 hours ago, 30la said:

Probably in the future 7/11 will be the new target for thieves!

I can't imagine how they want to serve all customers, payments of all kinds, play with the smart phone, cash in and now also banking? The staff is not able to work properly!

They're a just a few banking services available at 7/11. You have been able to pay electricity bills for years or pay for stuff you ordered online. Top up your phone, free Lazada returns and much more. Normally the boss at every 7/11 is the one who does the more complex stuff.

As a customer why complain? 

11 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Yes, I'll have a 1000 baht petrol, a doughnut and the contents of the safe please

At least you can still withdraw and deposit Money in the banks in Thailand - far more than you can do in Europe's empty moneyless shells .. 

8 minutes ago, ttrd said:

At least you can still withdraw and deposit Money in the banks in Thailand - far more than you can do in Europe's empty moneyless shells .. 

About 78% of all purchases in Thailand are cash. In a few European countries the number is 20% or less. Some banks don't handle cash and some smaller stores don't even accept cash anymore,which is crazy.

5 hours ago, 0815 said:

Fired bank employees can apply for jobs at 7/11 then. They are "High qualified" for doing bank transactions, but 7/11 customers will have to get a queue number for not to stress these spoilt new employees...

In your view bank employees earn, no get, too much salary, are lazy, are spoiled, etc, etc.

All employees then working for peanuts.

It's called race to the bottom.

Everybody poor but the CEO and the shareholders.

16 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Does that mean money? You can withdraw at an ATM.

These bank services at 7/11 are thought to be used by Thai people. A common Thai doesn't have internet or mobile banking. Upcountry it's very useful for thai people who lives far away from their banks. And on top of that, they don't have to think about banks opening hours. Many posters doesn't have a clue what they're talking about.

11 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

These bank services at 7/11 are thought to be used by Thai people. A common Thai doesn't have internet or mobile banking. Upcountry it's very useful for thai people who lives far away from their banks. 

Up country they get paid in cash as well so no need for a bank. 

1 minute ago, wgdanson said:

Up country they get paid in cash as well so no need for a bank. 

People have ATM cards everywhere in Thailand. It doesn't matter how they get paid. You asked a question and I answered it. I repeat, the banking services are supposed to make it easier for Thai people,not for expats. 

9 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

People have ATM cards everywhere in Thailand. It doesn't matter how they get paid. You asked a question and I answered it. I repeat, the banking services are supposed to make it easier for Thai people,not for expats. 

Of course it matters. If you get paid in cash for your rice crop, you do not need an ATM.

And in answer to your last statement, the banking services are supposed to make it easier for THEIR CUSTOMERS, who may have Bht 800,000 deposited there, or a regular Bht 65,000 coming in from abroad, or Bht 300 a month from Thai Social Security.

Our last major power cut , 7-11 ceased to function . Nothing, even the sliding door didn't work. Good job the local "mom and pop" is still in business.

As an aside , the local 7-11 employees buy their lunch from a local food cart on credit (the sort of credit where you write it on a notepad and pay on payday)!

I think you need to be very wary of the monopolistic tendencies of CP (7-11). The thought of them controlling most of the banks payment services does not bring much optimism.

7 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Of course it matters. If you get paid in cash for your rice crop, you do not need an ATM.

And in answer to your last statement, the banking services are supposed to make it easier for THEIR CUSTOMERS, who may have Bht 800,000 deposited there, or a regular Bht 65,000 coming in from abroad, or Bht 300 a month from Thai Social Security.

What are you talking about? I have been staying upcountry and almost EVERYONE had an ATM-card. It's the same today. Next time you come with stupid comments, put on your glasses and read the article that this thread is about,and read what bank officials said about the banking services in convenient stores. If you think the banking services, in for example 7/11 are for expats than think again. We don't need them.

2 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

What are you talking about? I have been staying upcountry and almost EVERYONE had an ATM-card. It's the same today. Next time you come with stupid comments, put on your glasses and read the article that this thread is about,and read what bank officials said about the banking services in convenient stores. If you think the banking services, in for example 7/11 are for expats than think again. We don't need them.

Keep yer hair on Max. No need for insults. 

I have never suggested that banking in 7-11s are for expats alone. You are correct, WE do not really need them. And if as you say, almost everyone up country has an ATM card, what's the problem, they can get their money at any ATM, of which there is one or two at every 7-11 or the like.

So as I see it, the only thing you will be able to do that you cannot do now is pay cash in. Unless you know better.

1 minute ago, wgdanson said:

And if as you say, almost everyone up country has an ATM card, what's the problem, they can get their money at any ATM, of which there is one or two at every 7-11 or the like.

They get paid in cash and might not want to keep their money under their pillow but prefer to keep it in the bank

I read a few articles and as I understand it , there is a 15Bt transaction fee on every transaction. So money in and out presumably. Also it seems they can only facilitate the transaction that you bring up on your mobile app. For example they facilitate cash payment in after you do the transaction on your mobile (as I understand it).

Not quite sure but so far read about 3 articles.

Back in west, I think I went at least four years without ever needing to visit an actual bank, where I'd probably would have to make a reservation since nobody goes there for normal day to day business. Can all be done easily fully digitally - but not in Thailand, the whole infra with bills with QR/barcodes etc is still in it's infancy. 

21 hours ago, Max69xl said:

These bank services at 7/11 are thought to be used by Thai people. A common Thai doesn't have internet or mobile banking.

Sorry, but that's nonsense. Pretty much all the Thais I know - including those who live in far-away villages - do have and use mobile banking. Just as they use Facebook, Line and YouTube. You're probably right about those who are 70+ years old though.

Archived