Motorcyclists demand the right to use under and overpasses in Bangkok

webfact

4 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

When the current laws were made the only legal larger motorcycles were 150cc hence bikes were, and I believe still are forbidden on the highways

My PCX 150 will cruise happily 2-up at 80 all day and I'm over 200kg.  It'll go faster, but that's as fast as I'm comfortable with in an open face helmet, shorts and sandals. 

Now that Highway 7 is a motorway, even getting to the Land Transport Office for Pattaya is a pain now.  I'd just hire a car if I was going any distance, but I don't see the justification for banning me from motorways on a bike, seems like an old law that needs re-visited.

Having said that, if we, as foreigners, start lobbying about this and over/underpasses, we'll just get the Thai collective backs up, Hopefully the Thai bikers lobbying will get somewhere.

On 9/10/2019 at 9:03 AM, HHTel said:

Comparing laws/rules in Europe is not a like for like comparison.  Although I agree in principle for allowing bikes access to bridges etc., the main problem here is the sheer volume of motorbike traffic.

But there is no point of disadvantaging the group of motorcyclists. They rather should be promoted, because of their gas consumption and occupying only a fourth of the space compared to car.

On 9/9/2019 at 10:32 PM, SS1 said:

It's true, nobody cares about it and I never will. The issue is just that if you have an accident as a biker, you'd probably be legally guilty whatever the circumstances as you're not supposed to ride there. 

I 100% agree that the ancient laws should be changed. I do understand where they come from though, as I was just riding over the overpass on Rama 9 road the other day. All the other traffic was going 80km/h as per the speed limit, but there was one helmetless somchai grandpa riding his old two stroker at 50km/h on the left side. Caused an awkward situation as I was filtering through but a car overtaking me swerved in front to avoid the old man. 

Nowadays most motorbikes can easily go well over the 80km/h Bangkok speed limit. The problem is that some of those smaller +100cc scooters are not able to go 80km/h safely because of their <deleted>ty brakes and suspension. So I guess they should set the limit somewhere.. with a slightly bigger scooter (Aerox 155) already no issues. 

any 100cc can safely drive 80 if maintained properly.

Archived