Jump to content
BANGKOK
webfact

Motorcyclists demand the right to use under and overpasses in Bangkok

Recommended Posts

On highways in my home country you are required to not ride/drive slower than 60km/h. And there are no restrictions for motorcycles. There are no restrictions in France, Italy, Spain, Austria and more states.  And there is no point to restrict the use of underpasses, overpasses and highways at all.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It wouldn't be so bad if one could continue on through the intersection. I find that many of these intersections force one to turn - no through traffic. Then, on down the road, one is forced to make a U-turn, a much more dangerous situation!

Edited by Curt1591

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, prism said:

They should at least allow larger motorcycles, >300 cc to use the under and over passes. 

and also to use the carriageways, ie, the one which passes Don Muang airport. I should not have to ride on them with 300Bt in my pocket all the time.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

How many care about that rule in the moment?

Personally I use any under- or overpass I want to use. If the police stops me 1 in 100 time and collects 100B that's 1B per usage. I can live with that.

It's true, nobody cares about it and I never will. The issue is just that if you have an accident as a biker, you'd probably be legally guilty whatever the circumstances as you're not supposed to ride there. 

I 100% agree that the ancient laws should be changed. I do understand where they come from though, as I was just riding over the overpass on Rama 9 road the other day. All the other traffic was going 80km/h as per the speed limit, but there was one helmetless somchai grandpa riding his old two stroker at 50km/h on the left side. Caused an awkward situation as I was filtering through but a car overtaking me swerved in front to avoid the old man. 

Nowadays most motorbikes can easily go well over the 80km/h Bangkok speed limit. The problem is that some of those smaller +100cc scooters are not able to go 80km/h safely because of their <deleted>ty brakes and suspension. So I guess they should set the limit somewhere.. with a slightly bigger scooter (Aerox 155) already no issues. 

Edited by SS1
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

a bottomline argument in their favor:

 

 - a car driver would be equally as dead as were a rider,

if his car were bounced over the side of a bridge...

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, mrfill said:

Only more affluent people can afford bigger bikes so this would keep the riff-raff off the under/over passes and in their place.

More like 1000cc.

Lots of riff-raffs below 1000.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, SS1 said:

It's true, nobody cares about it and I never will. The issue is just that if you have an accident as a biker, you'd probably be legally guilty whatever the circumstances as you're not supposed to ride there. 

I 100% agree that the ancient laws should be changed. I do understand where they come from though, as I was just riding over the overpass on Rama 9 road the other day. All the other traffic was going 80km/h as per the speed limit, but there was one helmetless somchai grandpa riding his old two stroker at 50km/h on the left side. Caused an awkward situation as I was filtering through but a car overtaking me swerved in front to avoid the old man. 

Nowadays most motorbikes can easily go well over the 80km/h Bangkok speed limit. The problem is that some of those smaller +100cc scooters are not able to go 80km/h safely because of their <deleted>ty brakes and suspension. So I guess they should set the limit somewhere.. with a slightly bigger scooter (Aerox 155) already no issues. 

Sure the problem is those slow moving scooters and food carts that make it hard. Those should be banned from using flyovers and underpasses and other places where they endanger everyone. But the majority of new scooters can goo easily up to 80 Km or more my Aerox has no problems what so ever. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Curt1591 said:

What does displacement have to do with it?

When the current laws were made the only legal larger motorcycles were 150cc hence bikes were, and I believe still are forbidden on the highways

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, robblok said:

Sure the problem is those slow moving scooters and food carts that make it hard. Those should be banned from using flyovers and underpasses and other places where they endanger everyone. But the majority of new scooters can goo easily up to 80 Km or more my Aerox has no problems what so ever. 

I believe those 'food carts' are technically illegal anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, fxe1200 said:

On highways in my home country you are required to not ride/drive slower than 60km/h. And there are no restrictions for motorcycles. There are no restrictions in France, Italy, Spain, Austria and more states.  And there is no point to restrict the use of underpasses, overpasses and highways at all.

Comparing laws/rules in Europe is not a like for like comparison.  Although I agree in principle for allowing bikes access to bridges etc., the main problem here is the sheer volume of motorbike traffic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, robblok said:

Sure the problem is those slow moving scooters and food carts that make it hard. Those should be banned from using flyovers and underpasses and other places where they endanger everyone. But the majority of new scooters can goo easily up to 80 Km or more my Aerox has no problems what so ever. 

The Aerox 155 is the best 😉 I've got mine with a variator mod for better acceleration (top speed still 110km/h), RCB rear shocks and stiffer front springs for farang weight. It's a weapon.. I choose it every day over my 1000cc for Bangkok. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SS1 said:

The Aerox 155 is the best 😉 I've got mine with a variator mod for better acceleration (top speed still 110km/h), RCB rear shocks and stiffer front springs for farang weight. It's a weapon.. I choose it every day over my 1000cc for Bangkok. 

I had a 650cc ninja... but i prefer this scooter, not only because its smaller but because it has good space for shopping. That is what i use it for mostly. Those bigger bikes are not good for it at all.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, fxe1200 said:

On highways in my home country you are required to not ride/drive slower than 60km/h. And there are no restrictions for motorcycles. There are no restrictions in France, Italy, Spain, Austria and more states.  And there is no point to restrict the use of underpasses, overpasses and highways at all.

But in your home country, bikers (& car drivers) can also drive around corners without slowing down to snail speed or cutting other lanes. And they do not fall off the bridge driveway !!! 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HHTel said:

I believe those 'food carts' are technically illegal anyway.

Technically illegal? I think that refers to more than half the bikes in use. No licence, no helmet, no lights etc. The 'food carts' are especially dangerous as many are completely unlit and difficult to avoid at night when suddenly coming across one. This may be the reasoning behind the access to bridges and underpasses. If it rained, they would possibly set up shop in an underpass....😅

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, BKKMG said:

Technically illegal? I think that refers to more than half the bikes in use. No licence, no helmet, no lights etc.

That doesn't make the bike illegal, it makes the drivers illegal surely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...