Renting in High Season

Flynt

Me and my partner (who is in a wheelchair) are visiting Hua Hin from early November 2019 to early March 2020. We are staying at the villa of my partner's nephew until late January. From then on we want to rent a condo which is wheelchair friendly (no stairs).  

My partner's nephew suggested to start looking for a place once we arrive, that would be our preference as well. According to him due to the strong Baht, there should still be a lot to choose from with our own eyes once we arrive in November. I'm actually a bit nervous about that- I don't want to be in a situation where a lot is 'sold out' and start an odyssey.  

Any thoughts?

Many thanks in advance!

My condo Tira Tiraa, just north of the train station, has a wheelchair ramp at the front entrance and a dedicated handicap parking space right next to it.  There's an elevator to all floors.  There is also one unit on the ground floor with an arm lift from the patio into the pool.

More details here on the rental web site: https://www.tiratiraaholiday.com/  Khun Golf has a desk in the front office and will help you with your inquiries via the site.

P.S. I'm not involved in the rental program, I just know how it works.

You're saying you will stay in the villa until late January. At that time the high season will be almost finished. I don't think it will be so difficult finding something,but you want it to be wheelchair friendly. That might be the hardest part. Beside that,no one knows if it will be a "high season" worth the name. 

You will have plenty of selection of Condo's, even right on the beachfront, nothing to worry on that.

As for wheelchair compatibility, thats something I joked at folks I'm with -- while pulling luggage with wheels along the sidewalks.  They are bad enough for those of us that walk, with all creaky tiles and such.

You might find a "wheelchair friendly" condo near Market Village, beach side or other side...BUT
Your next issue will be the sidewalk.  Big level drops from sidewalk, to road/soi, and up onto sidewalk to continue.

I wish you all the luck and safe travels.  Be patient and understanding of the "sidewalks" "TiT".

Thank you all for responding. It is very reassuring to read that we can go look for a place once we arrive. 

Matador I'm aware that Thailand isn't the most wheelchair friendly country in the world, to say the least. This Spring we were in Florida for the 2nd time and that is pure heaven for people with mobility issues. It makes traveling with a wheelchair so much easier.

But the opportunity arose to stay for free in a big poolvilla (no stairs) coming winter and we simply couldn't resist the offer. The sidewalks will be a big challenge, it will be near impossible for my partner to use them. Would it be possible to use the part right next to the sidewalk or would that be too dangerous?

Another thing is that he has his wheelchair 'card' for parking (it's an EU one). We were allowed to use it in the US, I hope we can use it in Thailand as well. 

Visiting Thailand with a wheelchaired person is stupid, unless that person is basically a well trained, wheelchair athlete.

There are far better places. Free doesnt mean safe. Thailand is not maintained for able folks, even worse for the disabled.

for the moment you get off the plane its going to suck. The only good thing is that you can find an aide or helper cheap.

Thats just my opinion, there are guys here in thailand in chairs but they live here. If I had wheels, Id order Pad Thai from a restaurant in Florida, sure as hell wouldnt be trying to maneuver around BKK. And Hua Hin isnt any better

Archived