Porcelain capped tooth needs repairing

oporhatch

I was just looking for information about the best/cheapest  way of getting it fixed/repair/new porcelain tooth as  a cap -  but still looking half decent.

first went to a website..for a bangkok dentist and they wanted £400.............personally I was only looking to pay at most £150.  (1 small tooth,next to the front ones)

What are my best options...........I am actually living in SA KAEO  and was going to go to a hospital in Chanthaburi..........I thought it would be overpriced, but not extortionately overpriced !!

As stated I am looking for the job to be done well.     What are the standard dentists like here.....  My one fear -  (with my wife is not the pushiest) ..  is that 

they say we can not do anything -  just take it out and have a false one.....(which is the easiest solution for the dentist ) which I would refuse as the previous cap has lastedd for 25 years.....I just want another decent one at a decent price .

Advice would be appreciated        

If you have had for 25 years hope the condition of original tooth can still support a crown.  Was a root canal/post done on original tooth?  If not it would likely be required and increases the cost.

From experience I would not recommend a general dentist for such work - go to a hospital or larger clinic with doctors that have experience fitting crowns.  Dr. Yankem would not be my choice.

OP, if you go to the dentist and your main priority is price then the dentist will give you the cheap options, ie: pull it out, replace crown without any work to original tooth. (a good chance the original tooth now needs work to support a crown)

Unfortunately you dont really get to dictate the price you want to pay, mostly the prices are set and reasonable compared to western prices and will reflect the extent of the procedure.

£400 is lower than the NHS price I was quoted just last week in London, so 8k to 10K sounds a good deal to me. provided you can find one of the half trained, brain dead dentists in Thailand to do the work competently, good luck with that. 

The least expensive option is a government facility but these are not fast, especially for crown work. Not unusual to have a 1 month wait just for the appointment.

I believe there is a Thai Red Cross dental service in Aranyaprathet but not 100% sure. It was mentioned to me when taking a  Cambodian friend to Red Cross dental clinic in Prachinburi. Probably located somewhere in the TRC complex which is off Suwannasorn from the clock tower, same road as Immigration.  Usually would be an after hours service. Google shows tel number 037 231 207 but it can be hard to get through and need a Thai speaker to call.

Alternatively if you are closer to Chanthaburi than to Aran, the main government hospital in Chantaburi (Phrapokklao) will have a dental clinic that can do this. Likewise, expect long wait.

Even at government hospital it may cost more than the £150 you expected given today's exchange rate. May be more like 200 - 250.

If the tooth root is damaged/no longer able to support a crown  then matters are more complex.

Thanks for the input

Went to a dentist in SA KAEO  - Pun rak fun (good name)  dental clinic.

Female dentist who was pleasant and not to pushy...........

Fitted the Crown back for 1,000 bhat ............said that potentially I needed the my crowns (2)  replaced as they had 

come away from the gum a little ................but that was up to me ..... half guessing I would not go back until it needed fixing again 

Said it would be 10,000 bhat  a crown .......................

if required I will use her again 

Just to complete the post ..,thanks again for your input    

10 minutes ago, oporhatch said:

Thanks for the input

Went to a dentist in SA KAEO  - Pun rak fun (good name)  dental clinic.

Female dentist who was pleasant and not to pushy...........

Fitted the Crown back for 1,000 bhat ............said that potentially I needed the my crowns (2)  replaced as they had 

come away from the gum a little ................but that was up to me ..... half guessing I would not go back until it needed fixing again 

Said it would be 10,000 bhat  a crown .......................

if required I will use her again 

Just to complete the post ..,thanks again for your input    

Good luck with it but I bet you come back on here at some point as the crown/s have come off and you either swallowed them or bit down on them.

You seem to be wanting "cheap" dental work.

Up to you if you lack money I guess, but it can manifest itself into much more expensive work if all you are looking for is cheap.

One crown I had (with attached post) had come out. I had it recemented a couple of times. Eventually, decay got underneath it, and it had to come out as there wasn't much tooth structure left to suport the post and crown. In the OP's case, a new crown (and post if there is a post) would be a better option. Not cheap, but a lot cheaper than an implant. 

You should try contacting Thantakit International Dental Center. The place is reputable and I have positive experience with them. I believe they provide 10% discount for cash payments as well as payment plans for their treatments. If money is an issue, this may help. That is, if you are willing to travel. Cheers.

Archived