Loaded! Thai Airways hostess faces sack after bringing in brand name haul from Italy

webfact

4 minutes ago, whaleboneman said:

Yes, that would be a fine lesson for all. I am sure a thief is devastated when caught also. Unfortunately in a society where there is corruption from top to bottom, all the people learn the wrong principles.

like:    how to Not be caught!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

There is a HUGE local market for luxury goods, and many, many, many Thais, incl. TG staff, have big businesses on FB and LINE. Many items are pre-ordered. This is done in part for lower prices, and in part for select items only available in Europe.

IMO, taxes (duty, excise, but not VAT) on luxury items should be removed. This would create more demand for high-end tourists to come to Thailand to shop (yes, the VAT would be sacrificed), and with locals buying here, and paying VAT, and more total tax revenue would be generated. 

you i an insider i presume. 

Yes there is a big market in Thailand , I am sure the Thai airways hostess earn more money on shopping for others than the salary she get from the company. 
And the reason for this is the crazy import taxes. Foreign tourists must be stupid to buy any real luxury items in Thailand.  

17 hours ago, neeray said:

You just dissed my home country's flagship carrier !!!

But I totally agree. What a let down, after Asian carriers, if I connect through Vancouver and then onto Toronto.

Just used Air Canuck on the way back to LOS,one of the hostess had the shape of a linebacker handing out tiny bags of peanuts and plastic cups of water....comical!

It's so refreshing to hop on an Asian carrier no matter where its going.

11 hours ago, Fred white said:

Yeah right just like the taxi drivers that get caught ripping off costumers don't do it again

Yes, but it is about the level of punishment vs the level of crime.

I think a taxi ripping off a customer is much worse. What does he get? A slap on the wrist.

Here she is risking her career, her dreams, and is being shamed publicly.

Near my hometown in France, UK people load their cars with wine and beer just before boarding the ferry to England. This is completely legal and this is fine.

Here Thai customs make it illegal to bring in large quantities of luxury items from Italy. Ok, fine. Then people should not do it. But how fundamentally different are these 2 situations?

11 hours ago, Swedenlars said:

This a really a true story. My wife, at the time in Sweden, ask me on my frequent tips to Bangkok to bring a MIICHEAL KORS bag. But NOT a copy !! So I went to the SIAM PARAGON mall and and I saw a original MICHAEL KORS shop. A 5* mall just to remember. I bought the bag, went back to Sweden. All OK, after one week my wife said you brought me a copy ! I said <deleted> I bought in SIAM PARAGON. We went to a MICHAEL KORS shop in Sweden to check it up. Bingo, a copy. Story not finished. I went back to this shop a few weeks later with the bag and receipt. You know, what the Manager said, of course, this is a copy for sure. But definitely not from our shop. <deleted> ? So simple, they got original stuff from overseas and sell the copies to the stupid tourists. In order to increase their business they  use the THAI AIRWAYS staff to bring in more original stuff. These are sold at the discount to Thai friends and relatives. The copy <deleted> is sold to us stupid Farangs. Never again. I will buy just simply nothing any more in Thailand. And you what, Sale Sale Sale in Thailand if just a load of BS. Real sales are in Europe and the US. I bought recently a branded shirt on a summer sale in Europe for 7 Euro. Was 49 Euro before. That is a sale. Thailand ? Forget it !

I don't get it. Why didn't you show him the receipt to prove that you got it from the shop, or compare it with all the other fakes on display? I don't see how that store could carry on doing business if this was exposed. If not the law, then the customers will bring it down with just a bit of social media pressure.

On 9/9/2019 at 9:23 AM, mtls2005 said:

There is a HUGE local market for luxury goods, and many, many, many Thais, incl. TG staff, have big businesses on FB and LINE. Many items are pre-ordered. This is done in part for lower prices, and in part for select items only available in Europe.

IMO, taxes (duty, excise, but not VAT) on luxury items should be removed. This would create more demand for high-end tourists to come to Thailand to shop (yes, the VAT would be sacrificed), and with locals buying here, and paying VAT, and more total tax revenue would be generated. 

you are talking sense here but TIT so no sense in anything 

21 hours ago, mrfill said:

So if you knew it was 'contraband', you were party to conspiracy to defraud by allowing it to happen. This is how the privileged get away with it.

'Party to conspiracy to defraud', 'the privileDged', waow! LOL!

Read it again 'mrfill', for us selling it was 100% legal, exported goods under direct Customs' officers' control! But so, according to your book, DF shops for passengers should refuse to sell f.i. 4x 200 box of cigs or 3 large bottles of alcoholic beverage to individuals, as that'd always be above the legal DF import limit...

When you're always like that, maybe 'mrnanny' would suit you better...

19 hours ago, dallen52 said:

Why bring in brand name goods to the Land of Knock off reproduction. 

Because the so-called 'hi-so's want to show off wearing the real thing, and would 'die' of loss-of-face when another pretentious sh.t in the club would detect a copy/fake, and tell everybody, one by one, it's 'a secret', about that great shame...

46 minutes ago, Jiggo said:

Move her to ''Swampy'' Check In, that should make her lose face.

Yeah! And let me wonder about how you would react when this would be about your sister/daughter, cousin/niece (no idea how old you are), a FA flying with your national carrier every week or so to/from, say, Dubai, and bringing to the family and friends DF articles at near half the price... How 'injust' you would consider the disciplinary measure you propose here...? 

13 hours ago, bangrak said:

Yeah! And let me wonder about how you would react when this would be about your sister/daughter, cousin/niece (no idea how old you are), a FA flying with your national carrier every week or so to/from, say, Dubai, and bringing to the family and friends DF articles at near half the price... How 'injust' you would consider the disciplinary measure you propose here...? 

I would be ashamed of her, and not invite her to any family gatherings.

On 9/9/2019 at 1:21 PM, JamesBlond said:

Never mind, I looked it up. Personal use items are okay up to 80,000 baht limit.

The article didn't mention the value the goods so it's almost useless as a piece of journalism, but the stuff in the picture doesn't look more than 80,000 baht's worth to me.

Peasant ????

On 9/9/2019 at 8:34 AM, BuckBee said:

perfect proof they need invest money in education rather than personal belongings .

but Thailand already has one of the world's highest literacy rates, of any country.  and they learn both a 2nd language, which is written as well as spoken, and is done such almost 100% phonetically even to the length of not putting spaces between words because we don't do that when we speak or we would sound like a robot talking.... plus English or some other foreign language as a 3rd language in school. how do you improve on that? it's quite impressive.

Archived