Pattaya: Inquiry underway after police sergeant shoots chef dead in hotel car park

webfact

Pattaya: Inquiry underway after police sergeant shoots chef dead in hotel car park

4pm.jpg

Picture: Naew Na 

Naew Na reported that four witnesses have been interviewed after a fatal shooting by a police officer in the car park of a North Pattaya hotel on Friday night. 

A chef armed with a knife was shot in the head after apparently resisting arrest.

Two patrol officers had responded to calls that a chef with a knife had entered the New Seaview Resort Hotel in Na Klua Soi 18 at 11.40 pm.

The man was Prajakchai Siriwech, 35 and the police officers responding were Pol Sgt Rungniran and Pol Cpl Natthawut. 

The officers went to the third floor of the hotel but the suspect evaded capture and was found in the car park still armed with a knife. 

Naew Na said that Sgt Rungniran ordered the suspect to lay down his knife which he did. As the sergeant moved in to cuff the suspect he picked up the knife again and went for the officer who tried to defend himself with his truncheon. 

The officer was hit in the right hand and lost the truncheon that flew off. 

The suspect went for the officer with his knife and the sergeant drew his 9 mm gun and shot low but hit the suspect in the head killing him. 

The suspect had a conviction for possessing drugs in Bung Kan province in 2012. 

A full inquiry interviewing four people at the scene is underway. 

Source: Naew Na

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-09-09

4 minutes ago, webfact said:

Naew Na reported that four witnesses have been interviewed after a fatal shooting by a police officer in the car park of a North Pattaya hotel on Friday night. 

I would have liked to have heard what the four witnesses had to say, to see if it confirms the police version we are being given. Aiming low, but actually popping one between the eyes is quite an achievement.

If someone is charging at you with a knife I doubt you can take the time to have a steady aim. It seems that in Thailand it is a measure of last resort for a policeman to use a firearm, as in this instance where the officer used a baton first.

17 minutes ago, champers said:

If someone is charging at you with a knife I doubt you can take the time to have a steady aim. It seems that in Thailand it is a measure of last resort for a policeman to use a firearm, as in this instance where the officer used a baton first.

How do you know the chef was charging at the policeman with a knife?

Ohh the policeman said so, when do the police here ever tell the truth?????????

Never, been involved here twice with the police and both times the police involved lied.

It would be interesting to know the witnesses accounts of what went on.

3 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I would have liked to have heard what the four witnesses had to say, to see if it confirms the police version we are being given. Aiming low, but actually popping one between the eyes is quite an achievement.

Possible the cop fired far too low, if that were the case then the blame could conveniently be apportioned to a foreigner namely...................

Rick O'Shea.

29 minutes ago, colinneil said:

How do you know the chef was charging at the policeman with a knife?

Ohh the policeman said so, when do the police here ever tell the truth?????????

Never, been involved here twice with the police and both times the police involved lied.

It would be interesting to know the witnesses accounts of what went on.

I see nothing in Naew Na's account to say who their source is, though one might assume that the officer concerned is one source. Maybe Naew Na spoke to the 4 witnesses too. I don't know.

From other reports I have read over the years, the police in Pattaya do try to disarm people with knives without shooting them.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The suspect went for the officer with his knife and the sergeant drew his 9 mm gun and shot low but hit the suspect in the head killing him. 

Maybe a bit of confusion with translation here. I would think the officer aimed low (lower than the head) for maximum body mass as his target, and the gun either kicked or the victim moved. This is what they're taught, aiming for maximum body mass; no such thing as aiming to wound.

6 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Lucky he didn't double tap... could have gone anywhere !

8 hours ago, transam said:

"Death Wish"....

436182267_deathwish2.jpg.2ebb9b962db75988d906f31338d95dd8.jpg

Is he allowed to smoke in the train? Bad movie for kids, encourage smoking when they see their hero smokes. And why was that guy using such a small knife? Charlie Bronson said, "I only fight with guy who got big knife, now leave me alone to read my paper"

6 hours ago, champers said:

I heard in US the police said , "drop the knife" and at the same time he shoots you dead. ( if you are a color guy you don't stand a chance, no, not at all). That's what I heard from an American backpacker.

11 hours ago, ylmiri said:

Is he allowed to smoke in the train? Bad movie for kids, encourage smoking when they see their hero smokes. And why was that guy using such a small knife? Charlie Bronson said, "I only fight with guy who got big knife, now leave me alone to read my paper"

He and I grew up in an era where probably the vast majority smoked. Strange that folk from that era are living longer, we ARE living longer even after smoking, coal smog etc. Strange that eh.....

Archived