Calls for higher wall as fourth motorcyclist dies on same Sri Racha bridge this year

webfact

Calls for higher wall as fourth motorcyclist dies on same Sri Racha bridge this year

6pm.jpg

Thai caption: Fourth death this year

A 40 year old motorcycle delivery man fell ten meters to his death after crashing on a bridge near the Nong Kham motorway toll booth in Sri Racha, Chonburi. 

It was the fourth similar death at the same spot this year. 

A motorway rescue official who saw the accident said that the rider was driving at speed and lost control on loose sand. When he rushed to investigate he found only the Honda Click - rider Wirat had been propelled over the barrier. 

Other rescue was called who performed CPR on the still living rider. He died soon after in hospital. 

News sources said that calls have been made to raise the height of the wall of the bridge that is only one meter high and not sufficient to contain a rider in the event of coming off. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-09-09

Some proactive policing, on an ongoing bases, would probably be much less expensive, quicker to put in place and be even more effective as a taller wall would still possibly wipe out the speeding motorcycle driver.

(Others would know better than me but the bent bike doesn't even look like a high speed machine, probably a 125 cc maximum)

A higher wall will just ping them back into traffic and they will squashed anyway, driving within their ability to react and in accordance with the road conditions is the answer, but i guess we all know thats not going to happen anytime soon!

2 minutes ago, Anythingleft? said:

It's a step through scooter for gods sake!!!

Education of the riders, why always with an alternate option other than addressing the root cause?!?!?!......

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Because Thailand only ever has band aid solutions, hence the reason I provided my answer with putting up a mesh fence, i.e. you have to start thinking like a Thai, but then again, I think "that went over the top" for some readers ????

11 minutes ago, Anythingleft? said:

It's a step through scooter for gods sake!!!

Education of the riders, why always with an alternate option other than addressing the root cause?!?!?!......

Because....just because!

Because Thailand only ever has band aid solutions, hence the reason I provided my answer with putting up a mesh fence, i.e. you have to start thinking like a Thai, but then again, I think "that went over the top" for some readers [emoji846]

Well my post wasn't directed at any of the forum posters, maybe that went over the top too.....555

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

24 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

It wouldn't take much to put up some kind of mesh fencing, but the question is, do they really care about saving lives on Thai roads, and I think we all know the answer there, "up to you"

This is the best solution and is done on MOST all USA over passes. the likelihood of a motorbike rider dying from the fall is WAY more than him bouncing off the fence and back onto the road, at least there on the road he has a fighting chance.

Root cause appears to have been "sand" on the road that the bike skidded/slid on? May be an idea to clean the roads occasionally and prevent overloaded trucks dumping their loads on the roads! - but that would take active policing so not going to happen!

41 minutes ago, likerdup1 said:

Are the guys in the picture morning the death of the motorbike? You'd think they'd be looking over the barrier rather than at the bike. Wow???

They are working out how much they could get for scrap.

RIP the rider!

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

It wouldn't take much to put up some kind of mesh fencing, but the question is, do they really care about saving lives on Thai roads, and I think we all know the answer there, "up to you"

Not sure how many deaths it takes before someone decides to do something, they have to take the money and use it rather than pocketing it. Judging by the Hwy 7 access flyover, off Sukhumvit neading North in Pattaya there needs to be 3-4 high profile incidents and deaths. 

1 hour ago, webfact said:

lost control on loose sand.

How about enforcing laws on lorries  dumping <deleted>  on the roads  or actually  keeping roads free from rubbish like this also, followed many  lorries  spilling rubbish off the back and mounds of  loose  gravel all over Thai  roads, roadworks  with  rubbish all around them when theyve  finsihed.

46 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Not sure how many deaths it takes before someone decides to do something, they have to take the money and use it rather than pocketing it. Judging by the Hwy 7 access flyover, off Sukhumvit neading North in Pattaya there needs to be 3-4 high profile incidents and deaths. 

Judging by the amount of deaths of Thai roads annually, usually somewhere in the vicinity of 23,000-24,000 around 70% are reported to be bikes, one can only guess how many riding without helmets, are intoxicated, etc, etc, etc, while the lack of police presence remains the same year in year out, with lack of law enforcement, the death rates will continue to remain the same or climb.

One solution would be to cull the police force and start over again, while at it, I can think of a few other agencies ????

Worth a shot.

4 hours ago, likerdup1 said:

This is the best solution and is done on MOST all USA over passes. the likelihood of a motorbike rider dying from the fall is WAY more than him bouncing off the fence and back onto the road, at least there on the road he has a fighting chance.

Only problem here is , if he bounces back off the wall and under some poor innocent drivers vehicle , that poor sod will get arrested and charged with manslaughter.

They could build a wall 50m high, clean the roads daily but some clowns will still find their way into it, over it or though it. There is no solution to Thai driving inabilities.... other than a compulsory trade in of vehicles in return for a buffalo.

A buffalo a least provides some road sense.

19 hours ago, CGW said:

Root cause appears to have been "sand" on the road that the bike skidded/slid on? May be an idea to clean the roads occasionally and prevent overloaded trucks dumping their loads on the roads! - but that would take active policing so not going to happen!

In Australia we have things called road sweepers that clean all the roads and highways, not just humans with straw brooms.

Archived