Electricity Unit Price In Thailand

2 minutes ago, haymanpl said:

Did you see the above table of rates?

First time I have seen this. Maybe it is for locals.

i have seen a lot of posts here on Lekky prices and most seem to quote the 4.5 baht. I haven’t heard of anyone paying less.

18 minutes ago, haymanpl said:

I worked out i'm being charged 4.5 baht per unit.

The residential rate starts at 2.35 baht per unit.

electricity rates.png

1.1.1. Consumption not exceeding 150 kWh per month......gives a price for Over 400 kWh?

23 minutes ago, haymanpl said:

I worked out i'm being charged 4.5 baht per unit.

The residential rate starts at 2.35 baht per unit.

electricity rates.png

How can they quote in USD when the exchange rate changes daily?

Yes the rate starts at 2.35........... for the first 15 units, then progressively more.

Strange that usually the more you use of something, the lower the price gets. But TIT.

The price varies by the method used to make the electric - so there is a basic charge for various amounts used per kwh, charge for service, adj for method used, add 7% vat and total for most of use heavy users will be very close to 4.5 baht per unit

3 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

The price varies by the method used to make the electric - so there is a basic charge for various amounts used per kwh, charge for service, adj for method used, add 7% vat and total for most of use heavy users will be very close to 4.5 baht per unit

How does my lekky meter know if the power came from oil, coal, wind or cow's methane?

Just now, wgdanson said:

How does my lekky meter know if the power came from oil, coal, wind or cow's methane?

It is on your bill - vaires by the time of year.  Last few months it has been a net deduction (-0.1160) here in Bangkok.

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:

It is on your bill - vaires by the time of year.  Last few months it has been a net deduction (-0.1160) here in Bangkok.

So you are saying that the electricity is produced by different methods depending on time of the year?

I do see the deduction on my bill, same as yours here in P'lok.

The amount of each varies due water levels in rivers and costs of importing from other countries (water based).  The adjustment is a method to allow for these changes while having a fixed rate per units used.  Not a real time adjustment but should work out over the year and believe they just made adjustments this year to make sure not being abused to increase price without need.  Don't recall any negative percentage in the past.

5 hours ago, haymanpl said:

Is it the same country wide or varied for different provinces.

Same everywhere (MEA and PEA).

Private households are billed by tariff "1.2".

It's a step tariff with steps at 150 and 400 kWh.

The total price consists of unit price plus "Ft" plus service charge and 7% tax on top.

You can play with this site to learn:

https://www.mea.or.th/en/aboutelectric/116/280/form/12

Enter 150, 400 and some excessive value and do the overall math.

150 kWh -> 543.65 Baht -> 3.62 Baht/kWh

400 kWh -> 1641.95 -> 4.10 Baht/kWh

10000 kWh -> 45870.10 -> 4.59 Baht/kWh.

So about 4.6 Baht/kWh is maximum unit price possible.

A full 5 Baht per unit is unreal. At least I can't remember that it would ever been that high during my time.

Ft (fuel "surcharge") can vary every 4 months with a small impact on total price. Currently the surcharge is in fact a small deduction (due to low primary energy prices).

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

So you are saying that the electricity is produced by different methods depending on time of the year?

I do see the deduction on my bill, same as yours here in P'lok.

Yes the Ft is negative since quite a while. Currenly -0.116 Baht/kWh.

It's usually determined every 4 months (Jan to Apr, May to Aug, Sep to Dec) by some committee. Can change or not.

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

1.1.1 is for rural properties, the low rates are to help the poor.

I used to live outside Hang Dong in what was classed a rural property, every other month my bill would be free.

Anything in the city, or built recently will be on 1.1.2

4 hours ago, wgdanson said:

How can they quote in USD when the exchange rate changes daily?

Yes the rate starts at 2.35........... for the first 15 units, then progressively more.

Strange that usually the more you use of something, the lower the price gets. But TIT.

I guess the USD prices are correct on the date the tables were updated, see the very bottom of the pages.

If you look at the details, the electricity tariff also depends on the installed meter size.

Water DOES get more expensive as your consumption increases.

13 hours ago, ianezy0 said:

4.5 baht per unit. Government rate. Very good ????

it can vary at each Condo block anywhere in Thailand. There is a block near to me that charges 8.5 baht!

I almost rented s place near Sattahip 15b , saw it at last minute and cancelled 

Last month.....125 units.....426.01

FT -14.50

---------

7%  29.38

_______

Works out 3.59 baht per unit.

Living in Bang Saphan Noi 

19 hours ago, ianezy0 said:

4.5 baht per unit. Government rate. Very good ????

it can vary at each Condo block anywhere in Thailand. There is a block near to me that charges 8.5 baht!

I think that is the condo owners price not the electricity bill price. The domestic electricity price is 4.5B/kwh.Free if you do no exceed a certain amount.

44 minutes ago, worrab said:

Last month.....125 units.....426.01

FT -14.50

---------

7%  29.38

_______

Works out 3.59 baht per unit.

Living in Bang Saphan Noi 

You are a very low user household so get a much lower price - those of us using air conditioners are normally paying in the thousands of baht and that brings the average up to about the 4.5 baht per KWH we have mentioned.

18 hours ago, BritManToo said:

1.1.1 is for rural properties, the low rates are to help the poor.

I used to live outside Hang Dong in what was classed a rural property, every other month my bill would be free.

Anything in the city, or built recently will be on 1.1.2

No it isn't.

it is for users on a 5/15 meter who uses less than 150kWh per month. Once you have gone over that for three months you will be on 1.1.2 or if your meter is bigger than 5/15.

Under 50kWh is free.

37 minutes ago, Percy P said:

I think that is the condo owners price not the electricity bill price. The domestic electricity price is 4.5B/kwh.Free if you do no exceed a certain amount.

That’s correct Percy. As someone else said, it is actually illegal but some condo owners still overcharge.

Archived