British Airways pilots ground planes in unprecedented 48-hour strike

webfact

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, tgw said:

it's not about being wrong on demanding more pay, it's about the method.

The method of protesting without causing the slightest inconvenience to anyone else simply will not work. Why would you be listened to?

1 minute ago, baboon said:

The method of protesting without causing the slightest inconvenience to anyone else simply will not work. Why would you be listened to?

READING COMPREHENSION !

I wasn't suggesting they shouldn't inconvenience anyone, go back and re-read.

On 9/11/2019 at 9:07 AM, Bluespunk said:

Keep telling yourself ba has the upper hand if that makes you feel better. 

Sack the lot.Bob Hawke did in Australia. Changed aviation in Oz. Allowed international flights to run domestic routes, taught the aerial bus drivers  a lesson.

You are still in the seventies mind set where a union would rather destroy an industry rather than get modern.

How many coal mines are in the Uk? Did any union reps lose their jobs? 

On 9/10/2019 at 7:56 AM, Chomper Higgot said:

I expect my travel plans to be impacted by this strike, so be it.

The pilots are right to fight for the best conditions they can get. 

Look around at what weak unions and workers unwilling to support unions has delivered; businesses driving wages and conditions to the floor.

Wages declining, work place pensions stripped, zero hour contracts, working people reliant on welfare (AKA State Subsidies to low paying businesses) and all the while obscene levels of boardroom pay and bonuses.

I’ll put up with a delay to my travel, the pilots have a right to collectively fight for better pay, good luck to them.

Power to the people chomper you,'re obviously made of stern stuff

5 hours ago, emptypockets said:

Sack the lot.Bob Hawke did in Australia. Changed aviation in Oz. Allowed international flights to run domestic routes, taught the aerial bus drivers  a lesson.

You are still in the seventies mind set where a union would rather destroy an industry rather than get modern.

How many coal mines are in the Uk? Did any union reps lose their jobs? 

Has it not already been pointed out to a previous poster, that there are not enough qualified pilots worldwide for your somewhat facile suggestion to be effective?  

On 9/9/2019 at 7:55 PM, madmen said:

sack them all. This happened in oz many moons ago they were made redundant.. no troubles replacing them

Isn't there a shortage  of  pilots? I  thought emirates were  having trouble finding enough of them?

12 hours ago, tgw said:

pay a million or we kill the hostage!

no, please, it's not the management that killed the hostage when the kidnappers had the option to cut off a toe instead to show they were serious.

transforming into a total mess for several days the lives of 200.000 people and probably much more - people who are not only totally uninvolved in the pilots' pay dispute but are also the source of the pilots' livelihood - is vile.

among those people are probably many who saved up for a year or more for a holiday and other people who absolutely needed to get to a meeting somewhere to pay their bills.
I don't say the pilots are wrong to demand more pay, I say hurting innocent people is wrong.

I was one of the people affected, I’m not complaining, far from it I support the pilot’s right to strike.

You also paint this as entirely the fault of the pilots; BA management made the decision to suspend all flights, despite the factual knowledge that not all pilots were going to strike.

As a point of principle, I support the right of workers to protect their interests by acting collectively through a Union and if necessary go on strike. I don’t withdraw my support because I am affected by workers exercising those rights.

I’m a professional engineer and have been a member of a union all my life, I’ve been on strike once and on ‘work to rule twice’.

I’m a working man and support the hard won rights of working men.

3 hours ago, kingdong said:

Power to the people chomper you,'re obviously made of stern stuff

I’be explained, I’m a working man, a life long union member and a supporter of the hard won rights of working people to act collectively through a union and if necessary strike.

I wonder what the anti union anti strike posters do/did for a living that they are unable to grasp the importance of these rights?

Glorified systems managers most of them.They get all sorts  of perks.

Australian airline pilots went on strike when Labor Kingpin BobHawke was PM back in the eighties.

Sacked the lot of them. Spoiled brats with some of the best working  conditions in the world and simply wanted more.

It costs a fortune to maintain and keep planes safe.Pilots don't have to pay for it. They get driven to and from luxuryhotels and airports in courtesy cars,discount holidays,plenty of time off even running private businesses on the side.

BritishAirways aka BOAC went bust years ago.

What's going to happen when 10'000s of Chinese pilots graduate from their acadamies shortly?

I’be explained, I’m a working man, a life long union member and a supporter of the hard won rights of working people to act collectively through a union and if necessary strike.

I wonder what the anti union anti strike posters do/did for a living that they are unable to grasp the importance of these rights?

I was a union sheet metal worker. And I’m not anti union, I’m against striking when it directly negatively affects a customer.

I would never strike in the middle of a job, or leave a customer hanging because I wanted more money from the company.

13 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I was one of the people affected, I’m not complaining, far from it I support the pilot’s right to strike.

You also paint this as entirely the fault of the pilots; BA management made the decision to suspend all flights, despite the factual knowledge that not all pilots were going to strike.

As a point of principle, I support the right of workers to protect their interests by acting collectively through a Union and if necessary go on strike. I don’t withdraw my support because I am affected by workers exercising those rights.

I’m a professional engineer and have been a member of a union all my life, I’ve been on strike once and on ‘work to rule twice’.

I’m a working man and support the hard won rights of working men.

I support the right to strike too.

Yet I recognize there are also other things to consider when going on strike, especially when many other people's lives depend on the service being striked.

It's the job of the union leaders to imagine ways to inconvenience the shareholders/management of the company instead of the customers. And they failed in this job.

Having the right to strike is not a blanket absolution for taking passengers hostage and disrupting their lives and often also their work and business.

Doctors and nurses also have the right to go on strike, and when they do - guess what - there is still staff in the wards and for emergency service.

Let's support medical personnel's right to go on full strike. Same with firemen or police.

But this wouldn't fly.

Why not ?

Sense of duty to the public.

A thing the pilots obviously lack.

• 4 weeks later...

A ridiculous argument as it has already been decided BA pilots are private company employees not a public service. The airlines management pilots and potentially DIRTY SCABS they can whore to complete the scheduled flights were not called instead they chose to cancel the schedule.

It was a lockout not a strike.

On 10/11/2019 at 3:54 PM, Captain Monday said:

A ridiculous argument as it has already been decided BA pilots are private company employees not a public service. The airlines management pilots and potentially DIRTY SCABS they can whore to complete the scheduled flights were not called instead they chose to cancel the schedule.

It was a lockout not a strike.

To the passengers that were inconvenienced it doesn't matter what you call it.

Archived