Govt seeks more funds from Beijing for three projects including Bangkok-Kunming Highway

snoop1130

My understanding is China offers 7% on top of the total cost of project to sweeten the deal for those that can green light it. The bigger the loan the bigger the amount the politician can stash in an offshore account. With the big loan the country struggles to pay it back and takes out another loan again with 7%. Eventually the country defaults and China then owns the infrastructure.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, neeray said:

Sounds like a similar concept to the USA with the China-held treasury bonds.

Thailand likes to go-it-alone except when it comes to borrowing money from China.

Maybe there's a side deal; we'll let you put the noose around our neck if you'll send us more tourists.

The US sells China bonds. They can be cashed in at any time. Most of the world buys bonds from the US. 

16 hours ago, greeneking said:

But we also hear that their huge foreign currency reserves are causing the problem high baht.

Why are they borrowing money at all?

because in 5 years they have spent all government money and are billions in debt so why not let the next government worry about it

19 hours ago, greeneking said:

But we also hear that their huge foreign currency reserves are causing the problem high baht.

Why are they borrowing money at all?

The more I hear they need to borrow money, the more I think the whole figures and stories about foreign currency reserves are manipulated and fake, Als the money is already in other pockets

3 hours ago, chilli42 said:

They are both naive and greedy.  They will end up mortgaging their country to their Chinese masters ... which is what the Chinese belt road initiative is all about.  One only need to look at Africa to see where this can end up

And Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Malaysia, Cambodia, etc.

52 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

For Chop Suey, or any "Chinese" food that's palatable you gotta go to US. They should do a San Francisco - Pattaya train instead.

My first intro'to real Chinese food was there in the 70's. Ordered dishes I was used to in UK and when they arrived on the table they looked nothing like I had had before but they were really good.

First time I had soft shell crabs and I admit it took me a minute or two to stick the whole thing in my mouth, but, I couldn't get enough of them while I was there.

11 hours ago, Srikcir said:

True but not really countering the question 'Why is the Thai government borrowing money at all?'

BoT has sought new laws (2015) that allow it to invest in higher risk public, government and corporate bonds - a debt instrument.

The proposed law would include (unknown if passed) investment in the newly created Sovereign Wealth Fund used to buy shares in Thai companies that would build and operate government infrastructure projects in Thailand!

So while BoT holds and manages the foreign reserves, it could indirectly make those funds available to the Thai government. If and when it does, the Public is unlikely to know.

How does a central bank obtain the foreign currencies to put into its foreign currency reserves in the first place? It has to borrow money to buy the currencies, usually by issuing its own bonds. What do you think the central banks often do with the currencies anyway? A big portion of it I believe would be invested in treasury bonds of other countries. The foreign bonds would generate an income but at the same time the local bonds that were issued to pay for the currencies would incur an interest cost. At the end of the financial year, the central bank might incur a loss or a profit due to this. Central banks often do this to prevent their local currencies from appreciating too fast.

Likewise, the government can do the same thing like the central bank if it needs foreign currencies to pay a foreign supplier. But if a foreign lender can give the government a loan at preferential rates and terms, taking it might be a better or cheaper choice.

5 hours ago, bizboi said:

…the central bank IS the Governments bank, thats where reserves are held!!

The government's reserves and the central bank's reserves are two very different things. The government can only have reserves if it has been overtaxing the people. But if it is running a deficit budget, it's likely that it doesn't have any reserves.

23 hours ago, Jimdandy said:

And with the money will come more influence over culture and global expansion of Beijing's philosophy. Isn't the lesson in Hong Kong and Taiwan enough to figure it out yet?

Don't be silly, Thailand learn from other countries, like trying to teach an old dog new tricks. The only thing Thailand government learns is how to line they pockets with more money, they really don't give a sh%%$#@^&t about their country.

On 9/10/2019 at 8:58 AM, Expat Tom said:

Certainly, the people in charge of the government of Thailand are just plain stupid! They will merrily lead Thailand into the Chinese debit trap and finish ruining this country. Complete idiots....submarines? Need I say more. 

In December, I'm out of here. 

You mean like Hinkley Point and Bradwell, why do people blame Thailand for taking a leaf out of the UK's book.

Archived