BANGKOK
khunPer

Samui Driver's License guide

Well done khunPer. All good stuff. Very comprehensive information.

I did my 5 year renewal yesterday and at 68, I too passed all tests. Two hours from start to finish. I am off to Suratthani tomorrow for my International Driving Permit.

• Thanks 1

Men also have to wear long trousers, i turned up in smart chino shorts and was sent away to buy trousers before they would accept my renewal and allow me to take the eye and reaction tests.

I protested at the time before noticing ample signage stating the same, I guess I was lucky they did not fail me for my lack of observation skills.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Democracy74 said:

Men also have to wear long trousers, i turned up in smart chino shorts and was sent away to buy trousers before they would accept my renewal and allow me to take the eye and reaction tests.

I protested at the time before noticing ample signage stating the same, I guess I was lucky they did not fail me for my lack of observation skills.

Yes that's rights – thanks for adding this – I perhaps should haven mentioned the dress code, and they do check it at DLT.

7 hours ago, Democracy74 said:

Men also have to wear long trousers

Not only men, female friend was also turned down. 

• Thanks 1

For the International Driving Permit:-

Off the ferry and follow the 4142 until it meets the 401 at a T junction. Turn right and head into Suratthani. 

Under the new flyover still on the 401. Over the bridge and there are signs on the left telling you that you are approaching the Suratthani Land transport office.

Parking is a pain for cars, easy for motorbikes.

Up to the 4th floor and ask the old guy on the desk for a number. He tells you to sit and wait until the number is called. The ticket machine voice will call your number and tell you to go to window 1, 2 or 3. Hand over your driving licence and sign the form that they give you. (Name and telephone number.)

Sit down again and wait for your name to be called. Window 1 for bikes and cars.

The girl has a checklist for foreigners wanting an IDP.

Original and copies of driving licence (she already has the original).

Original and copies of the passport. Must be the same number as on your DL.

Copies of your latest visa.

Original and copies of Work Permit or letter from immigration with your address.

Two photos - passport size. Usual head shot.

Official translation of documents. We hit a bit of a wall here. She was just going by the checklist. I patiently explained that all of my documents were Thai with the exception of my details page in my UK passport.

DL was Thai.

Visa was Thai.

WP was Thai and so on. Eventually the setang dropped and we carried on.

Pay 505 baht and sit down to wait for the IDP

When you pick up the IDP you just have to sign their copy and off you go.

As always with government offices/officials - long trousers and shirt with a collar.

Copies of passport are  - detail page, visa page, last entry stamp page.

Copies of work permit are - every page with something entered on it. For my DL I only gave them a copy of the detail page and the page with my address on it. In Suratthani they wanted the following page as well - (when it expires)

Elapsed time from entry to exit was 30 minutes. Delay was the translated documents conversation. It was quite busy (about 20 people before me - all Thais renewing their DL's) but they are very organised.

I forgot to mention.

If my new Thai IDP has an expiry date on it, I cannot see it. The UK ones used to state 'valid for one year from DD/MM/YY'

On 9/11/2019 at 10:13 AM, Tropicalevo said:

I forgot to mention.

If my new Thai IDP has an expiry date on it, I cannot see it. The UK ones used to state 'valid for one year from DD/MM/YY'

Normally an IDP is valid for one year only, so as long as the IDP got an issue date, it expire one year later.