Compact Camera Vs. Smartphone? Please Help

Stubby

Good evening, Forum, I wonder if someone can help with my camera/phone dilemma?

I have an old Sony Cybershot 3x Optical Zoom. Sadly, it's died on me, and the LCD panel at the back has also given up. So, I thought it was time for a new camera. The problem is there's so much choice now I don’t know which way to turn. 

POINT ‘N’ SHOOT VS. SMARTPHONE CAMERA

Someone said to me that no one of working age bothers with point-n-shoot cameras anymore. That's because Smartphone cameras are just as good—or even better—they say. I don’t know, hence this message.

See, I already have a cheap smartphone that does everything I want, except take decent photos. That's fine because I didn't buy it for the camera at the time. But can a modern smartphone camera provide the same versatility as a point and shoot?

CAMERA FEATURES I’D USE

Here are the kind of features I would use:

• Wide/telephoto zoom
  • Long timed exposure control
  • Aperture priority
  • Shutter priority
  • Shutter speed control
  • Timer and remote shutter release
  • Program and manual modes
  • Ability to mount onto a tripod

These things and others are what I got from my 3x Cybershot compact.

CAMERA VS. COST VS. VALUE

Also, I don't want to spend a small fortune on a smartphone only for its camera. I mean, I only use mine to exploit a few apps, listen to the radio, and make the occasional call. 

So, do I Keep the basic Smartphone and get a new compact camera? Or… update the smartphone with a camera that meets the above criteria, if there is such a thing?

Any guidance from those in the know is much appreciated ????

Stubby

17 minutes ago, madmen said:

You're far better off googling the question. But unless your taking pics for a living then stick with smart phones

Thanks for your feedback, Mad Men.

But my question is, can I do things with a smartphone that I can do with a mid-range compact? Take the three attached images as an example. These are timed-exposures, taken on a tripod in dark spaces without flash. So, tripod mount, exposure manipulation, that sort of thing?

I'm sure there are some keen photographers out there that have experimented with both mediums.

Yes, I could run around on Google, but that kind of defeats the purpose of a hobby specific forum ????

Stubby

1.png

2.png

3.png

• Like 1

As you are looking at a hobby perspective, my opinon is that a good camera in a smartphone, most times can be seen as equal to a compact camera. If you want good pictures, then it´s a system camera in the price range of 12-15k baht and up that makes the real change.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

As you are looking at a hobby perspective, my opinon is that a good camera in a smartphone, most times can be seen as equal to a compact camera. If you want good pictures, then it´s a system camera in the price range of 12-15k baht and up that makes the real change.

Thanks, Matzzon. 

But I'm still waiting to hear from those with knowledge of smartphones cameras and whether they can check any of the features boxes in my opening post. I know some smartphones can take tack-sharp pics; you see them all over social media. But it's really the features I'm interested in.

Stubby

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Whilst attributes vary from phone to phone, the phone camera will do most but not all the things you list.

My opinion, based on your OP and description of use is to get anther camera that ticks all the boxes for you and stick with the phone you have as that already suits your needs.

Thanks, CharlieH, that's what I thought.

I only asked because I was told that smartphone cameras are as good as or better than compact cameras.

I'll start to shop around for a new compact ????

31 minutes ago, Stubby said:

I'll start to shop around for a new compact ????

I'd consider what you are doing with the images. If you intend on getting them printed, get a camera with at least a 1 inch sensor.

Having said that, this attached image was taken with a 7000 baht phone, hand held and no touch up. I have only reduced the file size dramatically to 91kb. No easily visible noise in the blacks really suprised me. But I wouldn't have a hope of printing the original. - Not that I would want to print it. I was just walking and wanted to try out the new camera and see what it could do.

The other thing you might consider is ergonomics. I've shot with a DSLR for years and being able to grip the camera and lens, locking the elbows in to the body and fitting up o the viewfinder helps me stabilize. Holding a phone at arm's length is not something I enjoy doing.

You can get a tripod for the phone, you always have your phone with you. On the other hand you can't use filters well on a camera. If you use a circular polariser or ND filter you might struggle on a phone. You could probably get away with no grad filters.

Let us know what you end up buying.

1512467016443.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stubby said:

timed-exposures, taken on a tripod in dark spaces without flash. So, tripod mount, exposure manipulation, that sort of thing?

If you look at photography as a hobby you will not be happy with only the camera on your phone. The things you mention above you will not do with a phone. Better to look for a nice compact camera or a SLR. 

• Like 2

The Huawei that I actually bought for me but it's somehow now being used by my lovely Thai wife is as great tool with plenty of functions.

And you can make phone calls, pay your bills online and make some photos of some stunning girls. If I were you, I'd go for the phone.

• Thanks 1

I miss my old sony cybershot.  The thing took fantastic pictures but the screen is what crapped out.  I don't have a smart phone yet, still flip top voice and text 3 g only. It has a camera, but not of any quality.  I replaced my Sony with a cheap fuji film camera model in 2012 and it still works OK.  Pictures not as good as the cybershot was.

I had a samsung camera years ago and it took good pics .

Didn't need to charge it because it ran on 2 double A batteries which you could buy at any tourist attraction od you needed.

I've thought about getting another but will stick to my phone Samsung S9 plus which the pics are good.

Like to know about an app or lens to use with phone for wide angle shots

Good evening, Forum, I wonder if someone can help with my camera/phone dilemma?

I have an old Sony Cybershot 3x Optical Zoom. Sadly, it's died on me, and the LCD panel at the back has also given up. So, I thought it was time for a new camera. The problem is there's so much choice now I don’t know which way to turn. 

POINT ‘N’ SHOOT VS. SMARTPHONE CAMERA

Someone said to me that no one of working age bothers with point-n-shoot cameras anymore. That's because Smartphone cameras are just as good—or even better—they say. I don’t know, hence this message.

See, I already have a cheap smartphone that does everything I want, except take decent photos. That's fine because I didn't buy it for the camera at the time. But can a modern smartphone camera provide the same versatility as a point and shoot?

CAMERA FEATURES I’D USE

Here are the kind of features I would use:

• Wide/telephoto zoom
  • Aperture priority
  • Shutter priority
  • Shutter speed control

These things and others are what I got from my 3x Cybershot compact.

CAMERA VS. COST VS. VALUE

Also, I don't want to spend a small fortune on a smartphone only for its camera. I mean, I only use mine to exploit a few apps, listen to the radio, and make the occasional call. 

So, do I Keep the basic Smartphone and get a new compact camera? Or… update the smartphone with a camera that meets the above criteria, if there is such a thing?

Any guidance from those in the know is much appreciated ;)

Stubby

Sent from my SM-G965F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Stubby said:
  • Wide/telephoto zoom
  • Aperture priority
  • Shutter priority
  • Shutter speed control

In don't know of any smartphone with an optical zoom. Digital zooms manipulate the image for a zoom effect.
All the rest of the features can be found.

Don't know if any smartphones shoot "stacked" photos for you to process later. Some do "HDR" internally. But, it doesn't allow you own input.

One big problem is that, no matter how many megapixels you have, the sensor is still so small.

If you are OK with the digital zoom, and you're mostly into posting photos on the internet, a great smartphone will do fine.

• Like 1

Look for an Olymus or Lumix kit M4/3 rig. You can get them with decent kit lenses, they are small and when you want to expand, you an go lens first, up to Leica 400mm pro lenses.

I dont use Sony because I am used to Lumix interface. use a G9 Lumix. Its not what you want, too big and too many features and too expensive. But any lens I can buy (and I have the Pro lenses) you can stick on your Oly or Pentax above. I prefer Zoom Camera in MBK for my camera shopping in Bangkok, in the USA I use Amazon, B&H and Adorama.  expect to pay $500 USD for a useful kit..Too bad you arent in the USA, G85 Lumixs (an older semi pro model and very handy) are being heavily discounted.

This is one I did from the hip. I love Bangkok.

https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/bangkok-thailandseptember-7-2019-personal-electric-1498444598

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dimitriv said:

If you look at photography as a hobby you will not be happy with only the camera on your phone. The things you mention above you will not do with a phone. Better to look for a nice compact camera or a SLR. 

There are plenty of phones that allow all the features of a basic DSLR camera. Here is an example.

Screenshot_20190910-082045.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Curt1591 said:

In don't know of any smartphone with an optical zoom. Digital zooms manipulate the image for a zoom effect.

Don't know if any smartphones shoot "stacked" photos for you to process later. Some do "HDR" internally. But, it doesn't allow you own input.

Optical zooms on phones are created with separate cameras on phones now. There is still the 'crop' image digital option. From what I can see the Google phone app is using stacked images often to mask noise. I'm not exactly sure on the process but I imagine they are firing off several shots and subtracting the odd pixel in the set.

Whatever they are doing the low light features are suprisingly good with hand held - when viewed on a screen. Printing them at any usable size for display will be another matter completely..

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Farangwithaplan said:

I'd consider what you are doing with the images. If you intend on getting them printed, get a camera with at least a 1 inch sensor.

Having said that, this attached image was taken with a 7000 baht phone, hand held and no touch up. I have only reduced the file size dramatically to 91kb. No easily visible noise in the blacks really suprised me. But I wouldn't have a hope of printing the original. - Not that I would want to print it. I was just walking and wanted to try out the new camera and see what it could do.

The other thing you might consider is ergonomics. I've shot with a DSLR for years and being able to grip the camera and lens, locking the elbows in to the body and fitting up o the viewfinder helps me stabilize. Holding a phone at arm's length is not something I enjoy doing.

You can get a tripod for the phone, you always have your phone with you. On the other hand you can't use filters well on a camera. If you use a circular polariser or ND filter you might struggle on a phone. You could probably get away with no grad filters.

Let us know what you end up buying.

1512467016443.jpg

Thanks, FarangWithPlan. That's a great shot, and all the more impressive because its handheld. I would have definitely had a camera on a tripod for such a dark shot with no flash. I have no intention of selling photos, and I'm not even an enthusiastic amateur. But when I do take pics, I like to have options to be a bit creative, hence my original post. My three examples above where taken in very dim light. The third one was almost dark and had the shutter open for about 15 seconds.

13 hours ago, dimitriv said:

Thanks, Dimitriv, I agree. I was told that only pensioners carry compact cameras in handbags and pockets nowadays. I'm no longer convinced ???? 

13 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

The Huawei that I actually bought for me but it's somehow now being used by my lovely Thai wife is as great tool with plenty of functions.

And you can make phone calls, pay your bills online and make some photos of some stunning girls. If I were you, I'd go for the phone.

Thanks for your feedback, Isaanbiker. But my mind is now made up to opt for a compact based on the limitations of a smartphone camera ???? 

9 hours ago, katana said:

If your budget stretches to it, I would look at the Sony RX100 range of cameras.

It's now in its 7th iteration. I've used the Mark II and V models and been pleased with the results, especially low light performance.

That's an impressive little camera, Katana. I wouldn't use it enough to justify its 32K+ price tag, though.

5 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

I miss my old sony cybershot.  The thing took fantastic pictures but the screen is what crapped out.  I don't have a smart phone yet, still flip top voice and text 3 g only. It has a camera, but not of any quality.  I replaced my Sony with a cheap fuji film camera model in 2012 and it still works OK.  Pictures not as good as the cybershot was.

It sounds like it's time to treat yourself again GK100020000 ????

4 hours ago, Curt1591 said:

One big problem is that, no matter how many megapixels you have, the sensor is still so small.

If you are OK with the digital zoom, and you're mostly into posting photos on the internet, a great smartphone will do fine.

Thanks Curt1591. But if a 'great' smartphone is going to cost the same as or more than a 'great' compact, then there's no point. I already have a 2,000 THB smartphone that works fine as a phone and for apps usage. So far, the debate has favored a separate camera, and that seems to be my route now. Good point about MP and sensor size. I wonder how many people even think of that when considering photographic quality.

Edited by Stubby

2 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Look for an Olymus or Lumix kit M4/3 rig. You can get them with decent kit lenses, they are small and when you want to expand, you an go lens first, up to Leica 400mm pro lenses.

I dont use Sony because I am used to Lumix interface. use a G9 Lumix. Its not what you want, too big and too many features and too expensive. But any lens I can buy (and I have the Pro lenses) you can stick on your Oly or Pentax above. I prefer Zoom Camera in MBK for my camera shopping in Bangkok, in the USA I use Amazon, B&H and Adorama.  expect to pay $500 USD for a useful kit..Too bad you arent in the USA, G85 Lumixs (an older semi pro model and very handy) are being heavily discounted.

This is one I did from the hip. I love Bangkok.

https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/bangkok-thailandseptember-7-2019-personal-electric-1498444598

Nice photos, Nyezhov ???? Your suggestions are a little out of my budget, though. I'm thinking more along the lines of 12-15,000 Baht max. I can afford more, but I don't take enough photos to justify cameras over 20,000B.

You might like to read some reviews of the Google Pixle 3a and it's outstanding camera. It is available on Lazada for only 15,000 baht, and take photos which just simply shouldn't be possible for a phone of that price. It's up there with the 30k+ Huawei P30 and Samsung Note 10 for quality. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Katipo said:

You might like to read some reviews of the Google Pixle 3a and it's outstanding camera. It is available on Lazada for only 15,000 baht, and take photos which just simply shouldn't be possible for a phone of that price. It's up there with the 30k+ Huawei P30 and Samsung Note 10 for quality. 

Thanks, Katipo, I'll give it a look out of curiosity ????

i suggest you look  at Panasonic LX10 or Sony RX100-4 or 5 series of compacts.  smartphones can not compete with compacts optics and zoom range, IQ.  plan on spending between $550-1k.  i have a Panny LX5 and love it.  you could find these on Ebay as well.  check out Digital Preview

Edited by malibukid

5 hours ago, Stubby said:
14 hours ago, katana said:

If your budget stretches to it, I would look at the Sony RX100 range of cameras.

It's now in its 7th iteration. I've used the Mark II and V models and been pleased with the results, especially low light performance.

That's an impressive little camera, Katana. I wouldn't use it enough to justify its 32K+ price tag, though.

Hi Stubby.

Agree, the later models like the VII version are ridiculously expensive, but the earlier models are still around and more reasonably priced.

• Like 1

There are no mobile phones with a 1” sensor. Your 1” sensor size requirement limits your choice of point n shoot. The Sony RX 100 iv has a 1” sensor but it doesn’t come cheap. To get your sensor, you are looking at $1000 ++.

mobiles are improving with each new release but, at the moment, you will not get the freedom of Av or Tv. They do produce specific lenses, I.e. wide angle, telephoto but there is no actual adjustment capabilities.

If you really want all that you have listed, you will need to splurge a bit and buy, either the Sony RX 100iv or the Canon G7X iii.

You can get some decent mirrorless cameras now for around $500 but you will also need a lens. Worth looking at though as the kit could come to less than a point n shoot.

cheers

oops....for some reason I thought you stipulated a 1” sensor. Best of luck anyway mate.

Edited by ianezy0
  • Like 1