BANGKOK
Stubby

Compact Camera Vs. Smartphone? Please Help

By reading the list of functions you use I think you need a real camera. However,  Ive been getting great results with Samsung note 4, S8+ S7 High quality resolution and great video with remarkably good sound. I travel round Thailand and mix with photographed and videographers. Even the pros with two cameras use their camers phones. I cant recomend them highly enough. Also you stand out less , are less intrusive when you use a camera phone. I now shoot a vid, edit it, then up load it in the field due to phone wifi ability 

Edited by sunnyboy2018
  • Like 1

I am a Sony fan and last year I have been using Sony A6000. 

I want to be in control of the settings and I use bracketing (for HDR) a lot, I use changing ISO, always contolling time and opening. 

The Sony A6000 is well known for its fast focusing and 95% of my shots are very sharp. 

Link to Sony: Sony A6000

13 hours ago, SteveInBKKandMAUI said:

Aloha,

As a semi-pro photographer, I've used Canon DSLR's for a long time.  I sold my big Mark II and all the lenses.  I now shoot with a Samsung Galaxy S10+.  Three lenses.  Shoot with tripod.  Also, shoot in 4K.  I use the timer, and can say:  "Shoot" and it takes the picture.  I use "Pro" mode, and change the aperture, shutter speed and ISO.

Now ... I am starting to shoot a lot at night, and now miss my full frame camera.  My dinky Canon G10 and G12 point-and-shoot are not doing it for me.  So, I am considering a Canon M50. Reasonable in price.  About $695.00 here in USA.

By the way .... I am a Big YouTuber -- with multiple channels.  My Maui Travel Videos channel has over 35K Views, and I only shoot with the Galaxy S10+.  I just bought a Samsung Galaxy S8+ for my back-up.  I use an external lavalier microphone, and several ND filters.

It just depends on what you want to do.  As a YouTuber, I am very good with Smartphones.  You can even sell on Shutterstock and other stock photography sites.  I also use a Zhiyun Smooth 4 Gimbal.  Quite nice and don't have big lenses and big body to carry with me on my travels.

Just some insight here.  Either way is good.

Best wishes and shooting.  Remember -- it's not about the equipment.  It's about your ability to frame an image that tells a story.

Good Luck.  Steve

Thanks, Steve 😉

• Like 2

12 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

By reading the list of functions you use I think you need a real camera.

I think you're right, SunnyBoy2018. After all, there's a reason why 'real cameras' are still around despite the developments in smartphone optics and functions. Some will remember when first electronic all-singing, all-dancing musical keyboards came about. People said then that they'd be death of guitars and other instruments. They never were. The right tools for the right job, springs to mind. It's going to be a camera for me 😉

8 hours ago, XJ650 said:

I am a Sony fan and last year I have been using Sony A6000. 

I want to be in control of the settings and I use bracketing (for HDR) a lot, I use changing ISO, always contolling time and opening. 

The Sony A6000 is well known for its fast focusing and 95% of my shots are very sharp. 

Link to Sony: Sony A6000

NIce camera, XJ650, but I couldn't justify its price tag 😉

On 9/10/2019 at 3:59 PM, Skeptic7 said:

While agreed that phones are amazing these days and photos of landscapes, some close ups and general picture taking can be as good and possibly better in dim light, than a point and shoot camera...not gonna get the pix like I posted above with a phone, nor like the ones below. These hawk moths are tiny and the pix are hand held from 4-6 meters.

374138876_DSC06148_edited(Large).jpg.582db413f0877f1e560bc227d1cf2c64.jpg

DSC06037_edited_edited.jpg.a7baa7539fe00e9251fec8c1a1f9e815.jpg

Hi Skeptic7,
That's a great couple of photos of the Hummingbird Hawk Moth. I've always wanted to film one of those but never had the chance.
Is there any favoured location in Thailand where you're likely to encounter them? Or any tips on finding them?

• Thanks 1

I use to have a Sony RX100 when the first version was released, back then those cameras take amazing pics and smart phones have not caught up yet. But nowadays, phones have caught up and take pics just as good.

It really depends if you enjoy adjustments and taking pics as a hobby vs taking a good picture fast and move on. I notice smart phones have the ability to take pics in the dark fast compare to cameras where you have to adjust settings etc etc to get a shot as good as a smart phone. The program on the smart phone makes adjustments fast, its superior to a cameras "auto mode".

It also depends how often you will use your camera, I use mine only 2-3x per year during travels only. So its not worth upgrading for a better camera, so I stick with my smart phone.

So if you have a passion for taking pics, of course go with a camera - you already have a smart phone.

49 minutes ago, mike324 said:

I use to have a Sony RX100 when the first version was released, back then those cameras take amazing pics and smart phones have not caught up yet. But nowadays, phones have caught up and take pics just as good.

It really depends if you enjoy adjustments and taking pics as a hobby vs taking a good picture fast and move on. I notice smart phones have the ability to take pics in the dark fast compare to cameras where you have to adjust settings etc etc to get a shot as good as a smart phone. The program on the smart phone makes adjustments fast, its superior to a cameras "auto mode".

It also depends how often you will use your camera, I use mine only 2-3x per year during travels only. So its not worth upgrading for a better camera, so I stick with my smart phone.

So if you have a passion for taking pics, of course go with a camera - you already have a smart phone.

Thanks for your feedback, Mike 😉

4 hours ago, katana said:

Hi Skeptic7,
That's a great couple of photos of the Hummingbird Hawk Moth. I've always wanted to film one of those but never had the chance.
Is there any favoured location in Thailand where you're likely to encounter them? Or any tips on finding them?

Thanks. Not sure of any "hot spots" but they are seen throughout the Kingdom. My pix were taken in late May of this year in Kanchanaburi province. Very rural area with alot of natural habitat around. We have lots of plants and flowers and a large "butterfly garden", which attracts many species. Flowers Flowers Flowers would be my advice. Hope you get your pics and vids! 

Edited by Skeptic7
  • Thanks 1

I agree with the poster who said the best camera is the one you have with you.

You always have your smartphone with you....

You have said you are not a "pro" photographer, and I can vouch for absolutely fantastic pictures taken with smartphones.

Regarding features, you can most if not all of the features you need on smartphones nowadays.

If your "stock" camera app on your phone does not have the feature you need, you can always download another app from Google Playstore which has the feature you need (free).

I just checked my phone, a Huawei YMax, for features, and posted one of the screens below.

It has a lot more photography features, though! 

A great phone, with the added benefit of it having the largest screen in the world (7.12 inches), so easy to see what the picture looks like after you've taken it (not so easy on a tiny camera screen).

Sorry, I don't remember how much I paid for it, but it was not that expensive, as I recall.

Good Luck!

Screenshot_20190929-222954.jpg

Edited by CanadaSam
Added Screenshot
  • Like 1

Using a real camera over a smartphone gives you many benefits but as mentioned smartphone cameras have come a long way lately, some even have 3-4 lenses on the back! 

But for me the user experience using a smartphone camera is not very satisfying, I like my viewfinder and the real cameras got all the dials and bottoms handy for quick adjustments.

I currently have a Sony RX100 mk3 and an old Fuji XPro1 (bought used). The RX100 is so small it can handy fit in a belt-bag and takes quite good photos. I also have a Fuji X100T(also bought used) that is a real enthusiast camera, fixed non zoom lens but boy this camera can take some nice photos and just using it, puts a smile on my face each time.

You can save quite a lot of money buying 2nd hand photo gear but be very careful if you go this way, cameras are delicate electronic units and are often not worth repairing if they go bad.

Below a heavily down seized photo from my 1:1 Tamron manual focus lens bought real cheap 2nd hand (app 130$)

image.jpeg.20998b2e13929245ef67f00f964ade8d.jpeg

• Like 2

^ I use Fuji's and it has put the fun back into photography for me, small and portable compared to DSLR's, brilliant image quality and can be had for great secondhand prices. 18-55mm kit lens is a great value walkaround lens.

Shot below x100T jpeg straight out of camera

DSCF1008.jpg

• Like 2