BANGKOK
snoop1130

Higher tax on sugary drinks aims to control consumption

I wonder what the beer industry thinks of this? While they do not consider themselves the sellers of sugary drinks they will come under the range of taxes outlined on the OP.

Did they give permission to the government to raise this tax?

• Like 1

Well its a pretty pointless exercise unless and until they get the wholesalers and retailers on board as the price in the shops is usualy the same for Coke and Coke Zero despite the previous tax, so it has zero effect on customer behaviour at the point of sale.

• Like 1

Is this because thai people cant think for themselves? Or because a government that cant think of anything better to charge the people.

This place is crazy

• Like 1

Yep, right up there with China is paying the USA tariffs. And Mexico will pay for the Trump Wall.

''The Tax will not be passed on to the consumers''.     If you believe that then you believe Pixies exist !
  • Like 2

If they use the tax to educate people and if there are sugar free alternatives then this is a good thing. The amount of overweight Thais is rising. Soon it will be as bad as in farang countries, lets hope it never gets as bad as in the US.

Not many are health conscious though I see some Thais and foreigners that are in the gym. Still a minority but at leas they are there. I also see a lot of Thais exercising in the park next to me. But is see some real fat Thais and foreigners who don't care one bit. 

It their choice to be fat as long as they don't complain about it and say how impossible it is to lose weight I am ok with it. Everyone has the right to abuse their body how they see fit. Eating healthy and exercising can be hard work at times. Certainly less fun as stuffing yourself with whatever you like.