Higher tax on sugary drinks aims to control consumption

snoop1130

2 hours ago, madmitch said:

Imagine the price of a bottle of Hales Blue Boy Syrup in a few years with these compounding tax rates!

But it's also the sugar in noodles, curries, sweet tea and coffee, condensed milk etc. I really don't believe that table published by Yinn.

What about syrup for pancakes it's supposed to be sweet or honey they going to tax the bees

Personally I'm sick and tired of other people telling the Government to not only tell me what or what not to eat and drink but then having the nerve to want to charge me for it. <deleted> off the lot of you do gooders - I'll make my own decisions thank you.

If something is really bad then ban it, but that will stop the taxation revenue won't it, which is the plan all along.

I reckon, on average, every decade, I have heard about how bad eggs and butter are for you as well as how good eggs and butter are for you.

You get the hand wringing mob saying how the world is overpopulated and unsustainable, then the very next day telling us how to live longer and healthier when they should be encouraging the opposite.

I'm sick of them!!!!

These two images may give an impression of how much sugar per 100 ml...

page8_softdrinks.png

32442BD700000578-0-image-a-13_1458225460

Edit: I.e. a coke with 10.6 g per 100 ml will be taxed 3.5 baht for a 350 ml bottle/can (3.5 x 1 baht).

The sugar content might be adjusted to the market, Thais in general like sweet drinks.

A lot of people don't realise but SUGAR is one of the worst things you can put in your body. You don't need it, it plays havoc with your blood sugar levels and will ultimately make you fat. Try to take out as much as you can from your diet and you will be doing yourself a massive favour. Switch to water rather than sugary drinks and avoid sweet snacks, and watch your waistline disappear! Trust me, it will make a big difference to your physique over time

6 hours ago, stephenterry said:

Generally speaking, even more beneficial is to eat the fruit and avoid the juices. Fruits contain fructose which is more slowly absorbed by the body, and has doesn't spike insulin as quickly - which is the main rationale (of higher tax on sugary drinks - probably some juices as well) aiming to require manufacturers to provide less risk to diabetic-prone people.

Unfortunately, the 'Western diet' led by the USA is the most unhealthy on the planet, and now mega US manufacturers like coca-cola, pepsi, mcdonalds, burger king et al are pervading Thailand and other Asian countries to boost their obscene profits. 

It's all about money, not health...

As for the Thai government's extra income, the above applies.

Very confusing. Your first paragraph makes sense, but not the second and the third makes sense no matter what country of the world you are referring to. If everything is about money, like you say, no country can lead the charge of a diet, pockets will dictate that. I doubt you will see one of the aforementioned fast food places sell a lot of meat in a predominately Muslim country, due to the diet of that country. If they did, that business would not be open for for long. For indtance, China is full of many large people, and I doubt their bad diet and overweight problem is to blame on western food. You ever seen Chinese people at the floating market in Bangkok? They destroy all seafood/Thai food in front of them. East Asians, first and foremost love east Asian food. Have you ever watched Thai people get together on the floor and eat Thai style? Between the small group of 5 people, there is often 7-10 dishes, all Thai food, but not many that are healthy choices, containing added sugars, fried foods, simple carbohydrates.

Thai people becoming larger is true but I blame that on the fact that the country has become richer and more industrialized so what people can afford to consume has risen and most people, Thai's or not love to consume food that is healthy for them in large quantities. 

2 hours ago, curlylekan said:

Thailand is becoming as large as the people of the USA and will soon see a lot of health related issues from this, yet they only consume a quarter of the sugar the USA does. I wonder what else is leading to the health risks?

Look at all the fat they eat it's almost impossible to find lean meat

2 hours ago, foxboy said:

A lot of people don't realise but SUGAR is one of the worst things you can put in your body. You don't need it, it plays havoc with your blood sugar levels and will ultimately make you fat. Try to take out as much as you can from your diet and you will be doing yourself a massive favour. Switch to water rather than sugary drinks and avoid sweet snacks, and watch your waistline disappear! Trust me, it will make a big difference to your physique over time

Physical activity also plays a part in how fat a person gets

15 hours ago, robblok said:

Say whatever you wan Yinn, but it is becoming a problem in Thailand i see far more fat Thais then I did when I arrived here. I am happy they are trying to do something about it. Now if there were more sugar free alternatives it would be a good thing.

http://worldpopulationreview.com/countries/most-obese-countries/

Farang more fat than Thai. Sure.

8 hours ago, Yinn said:

Your missing the point, foreigners are indeed fatter then Thais but changing habits now before it is too late is a good thing. If you havent seen the change in Thailand then your blind. 

Its not some sort of contest who is worse its about stopping a problem before it develops further. 

It would also be nice if there were more sugar free alternatives and more healthy food available. I am an exercise freak and keep a good eye out for changes. What i see in my country is that more and more healthy food is becoming available and labels are checked better. I am not sure if you have seen the news recently about certain Thai foods totally ignoring the labels (something about a dangerous conservative at many times its allowed level) and the fact that there is more and more bad food available here is showing that its going the wrong way.

Change now before you got the same problems as for instance in the US / Netherlands / UK and so on. I have only seen Thailand get worse while where i come from its slow getting less worse (reversing slowly long way to go and still worse then Thailand). For me its a good thing that they are finally starting to do something and I hope for more good alternatives.

Sometimes your too nationalistic and think its all about thaibashing, i can understand but that is not always the case. 

I hope they ban sugar use everywhere. Diabetics running up medical insurance costs, fat people and their 2nd-hand waists overflowing airline seats, theater seats, and crowding me out of the buffet line. Tax them! It hurts my eyes to look at them! And what I want is the most important thing in the universe. (Now what's next for bossy people to throw their weight around? - pun intended - Meat or booze? Uh oh, it might be girls.)

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Your missing the point, foreigners are indeed fatter then Thais but changing habits now before it is too late is a good thing. If you havent seen the change in Thailand then your blind. 

Its not some sort of contest who is worse its about stopping a problem before it develops further. 

It would also be nice if there were more sugar free alternatives and more healthy food available. I am an exercise freak and keep a good eye out for changes. What i see in my country is that more and more healthy food is becoming available and labels are checked better. I am not sure if you have seen the news recently about certain Thai foods totally ignoring the labels (something about a dangerous conservative at many times its allowed level) and the fact that there is more and more bad food available here is showing that its going the wrong way.

Change now before you got the same problems as for instance in the US / Netherlands / UK and so on. I have only seen Thailand get worse while where i come from its slow getting less worse (reversing slowly long way to go and still worse then Thailand). For me its a good thing that they are finally starting to do something and I hope for more good alternatives.

Sometimes your too nationalistic and think its all about thaibashing, i can understand but that is not always the case. 

I just put the graph, show the truth. Show the real thing. Why not? And say the truth. Not say much.

Only say farang is more fat than thai. Nothing more. Is true.

I see a lot of Fatty Farang in Phuket, wear the swimsuit.

In my village we grow organic a lot. Share. House chicken. I don’t use white sugar, something put the palm sugar for flavor. Not much. I never drink coke, Fanta etc. Never eat the McDonald’s clown food.

i don’t care what other people eat. Not my business, up to them.

1 minute ago, Yinn said:

I just put the graph, show the truth. Show the real thing. Why not? And say the truth. Not say much.

In my village we grow organic a lot. Share. House chicken. I don’t use white sugar, something put the palm sugar for flavor. Not much. I never drink coke, Fanta etc. Never eat the McDonald’s clown food.

Palm sugar or white sugar are the same.. how the body uses it. 

I don't care much about what other people eat but I care about healthy alternatives and if this tax makes this happen I am all for it. 

I see a lot of fatty Thais where I live (probably because there are no foreigners besides me).

I think that Thais are in general far more ignorant about healthy foods. In the gym i often get asked why I look so lean and good. When I tell them its not about the exercise but about the food they look at me like I am crazy. A lot of foreigners also don't know about it but at least more information is available. I had expected a little bit more from instructors at my gym about food. Like i said education on food is lacking in Thailand. In the west the education is there but many are just not doing it because bad food often tastes better and staying healthy means a lifestyle change. 

1 hour ago, Mac98 said:

I hope they ban sugar use everywhere. Diabetics running up medical insurance costs, fat people and their 2nd-hand waists overflowing airline seats, theater seats, and crowding me out of the buffet line. Tax them! It hurts my eyes to look at them! And what I want is the most important thing in the universe. (Now what's next for bossy people to throw their weight around? - pun intended - Meat or booze? Uh oh, it might be girls.)

I could care less about others its just nice if taxes like this make it so that more healthy alternatives are available. Back where I come from slowly they are changing and more healthy alternatives become available. 

31 minutes ago, Yinn said:

It would also help if you don't put all "farang" in the same category since there is a big variance between them. It's a little bit like in my country everyone call Asian "Chinese". I don't know if you understand the difference but my Thai wife do when I call her Chinese. American are no1 fat for sure but their influence is already in Thailand. Not a good thing. Traditional Thai diet was nutrient dense and healthy. This is unfortunately not the case anymore. 

Archived