BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

Thailand worries mass tourism is bringing terrorism troubles

OPINION

Thailand worries mass tourism is bringing terrorism troubles

Easier visa system poses national security challenge

Kavi Chongkittavorn

NER.jpg

11 million Chinese tourists are expected to visit Thailand this year//FILE photo © Reuters

Thailand, popularly known as the "Land of Smiles," is no longer smiling so much as fears grow that the rapidly rising inflow of tourists may be undermining the country's national security.

Even as Thailand hit a record 38.3 million visitors last year, the issue has taken on added urgency following recent proposals to grant visa-free access to tourists from China and India, which together accounted for almost a third of the country's visitors in 2018.

Since 2013, when the annual influx of tourists nearly topped 30 million -- mainly due to a meteoric rise in the number of Chinese visitors -- Thai authorities have been struggling to monitor the whereabouts of foreigners, largely because of the shortcomings of the country's traditional, paper-based system for registering entries.

A biometric identification system was recently introduced at major entry points to improve data collection. But the country's immigration bureau remains understaffed, and would have faced significant increased pressure as a result of the visa-free regime for Chinese and Indian visitors, which was proposed by the Ministry of Tourism and Sport in July.

Full story: https://asia.nikkei.com/Opinion/Thailand-worries-mass-tourism-is-bringing-terrorism-troubles

-- NIKKEI ASIAN REVIEW 2019-09-10

Sometimes you get what you wish for. 

Take the rough with the smooth.

You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Deal with it.

Ah yes what we need is  more TM30's  how  about a  weekly Tm30 which can be  updated to daily..............of  course seeing older people who have been on extensions for years with no problems  caused is  too easy to select these out of the "all falang" mentality.

34 minutes ago, webfact said:

Thailand, popularly known as the "Land of Smiles," is no longer smiling so much as fears grow that the rapidly rising inflow of tourists may be undermining the country's national security.

what ?

TM30 

If I was coming to Thailand to do bad things I will of course fill in my TM30

what a pile of complete hogwash 

The most embarrassing thing I have ever seen in Thailand was when a senior IO was trying to explain and justify the need for TM30

And how many of the terrorists in the past were western farang??

Right, we need to make it harder for them to visit Thailand...

Thai authorities have been struggling to monitor the whereabouts of foreigners.

Really!  Maybe they can make a case for GPS tracking devices for each foreigner...

Went to immigration yesterday...they have installed facial recognition for visa applicants...probably tied to a world's fugitive database...be advised if you have outstanding warrants in your home country.

Visa process for extension of stay at Udon Thani took about 20 min from time I handed over documents until I received back my passport with new 1 year extension...kudos to Thai lady who did my paperwork...👍

They wants the money, statistics and prestige associated with big tourism but not the hassle of actual people. Perhaps everyone should just send money and stay home. Would that help? 🙄

Any threat to Thailand is already there or close by.

It's becoming more surreal and farcical by the day!

"But it must also keep its own house in order by adopting an effective and efficient system to manage the influx."

And therein lies the problem , nothing much in Thailand is effective and efficient.

Seems like the Thais are REALLY trying to justify the TM30/TM28 nonsense ...

May I suggest for every tourist entering ,a full body cavity search, a brain scan and a rectal probe followed by the most dreaded of all the TM-3O, The Thai way or the Hiway....

48 minutes ago, Puchaiyank said:

Thai authorities have been struggling to monitor the whereabouts of foreigners.

Really!  Maybe they can make a case for GPS tracking devices for each foreigner...

Went to immigration yesterday...they have installed facial recognition for visa applicants...probably tied to a world's fugitive database...be advised if you have outstanding warrants in your home country.

Visa process for extension of stay at Udon Thani took about 20 min from time I handed over documents until I received back my passport with new 1 year extension...kudos to Thai lady who did my paperwork...👍

Really....?

I was in Udon immigration about 10 days ago, & didn't see this. They've got a new fingerprint scanner though.

What does device look like, where in the office is it?

WUtter claptrap. Thailand's terrorism is entirely domestic. The bombs and murders in the southern three provinces are not carried out by a family of 4 from Dorset upset with the price of pad thai. 

Thailand needs to monitor its own people first before it points accusing fingers at foreigners. 

Perhaps they should prioritize. Maybe draw a pyramid and draw horizontal lines representing the likelihood of various groups being terrorists, based on prior stats of course. I'm certain that they would realize the farang occupies the space at the base of the pyramid.

With the project complete, relax their stringent rules for those in the bottom half of the pyramid and tighten it at the top.

Funny, they don’t seem to care about their drug-dealing agriculture minister because his crime wasn’t in Thailand. So if everyone visiting Thailand has a clean Thai police record, what’s the problem?