Thailand worries mass tourism is bringing terrorism troubles

webfact

3 hours ago, smedly said:

what ?

TM30 

If I was coming to Thailand to do bad things I will of course fill in my TM30

what a pile of complete hogwash 

The most embarrassing thing I have ever seen in Thailand was when a senior IO was trying to explain and justify the need for TM30

I am just still laughing on this article ... Especially the bit about this years bumper tourist numbers 5555555555

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just more words trying to justify more regulations; prove where income comes (just in case you get it from dodgy sources Ha!), two tier pricing at gov. hospitals for forefingers (as from this month, just in case those naughty foreigners get shot by police,Ha!), TM 30 issues.

I'm now convinced that the folder shown to me as the local gov. office (mentioned on a TM30 thread) as being full of new regulations for foreigners was genuine and that there is more to come. Oh happy days ????????

So instead of ammending / scrapping the TM30 laws, Immigration run around like headless chickens lol. Gotta love the chaos that is LoS. It's impossible to monitor every tourists movement every 24hours. Impossible. Why try? They aren't catching any 'bad guys' this way, as they aren't silly enough to do their TM30, 90 day or even keep a valid extension. 

Let there be reciprocal agreements (including dual pricing and buying land) placed on Thai tourists world-wide. Let's see how fast they change their rules then. 

4 hours ago, webfact said:

But the country's immigration bureau remains understaffed

Sometimes the solution is right under your nose, but you can't see it, even with a small Thai nose, so to speak.

How about:

A) Removing the TM47 (90 day reporting) for long time expats that are retired and or married to a Thai, alternatively make it mandatory to do your reporting online or face a penalty upon renewal, say 2,000 baht for each offence.

B) TM30 to be only done when an alien (ET) returns from a trip overseas, with all reporting to be mandatory and to be done online or face a penalty upon renewing their extension, say 2,000 baht for each offence.

Doing the above removes the many staff having to handle paperwork, i.e. entering the information into the system which was created to remove the handling of paperwork by anyone being able to do it online., not to mention how many trees they would be saving that could absorb the smoke filled air around the country. 

I reckon you could then pull 80% of the desk jockeys (IO's) out from around the country, and send them to swampy & Don Muang, where they can do more constructive work streamlining the entry/exit system for all coming and going from the LOLF, whilst at the same time employing more IO's if required.

The 20% of desk jockeys (IO's) remaining at their respective IO's could handle whatever else would be required, renewals etc etc

LOLF has replaced the LOS, now the Land of Long Faces ????

I know I'm a genius, but translate the above to a Thai and see what response you would get, ah farang stupid idiot kwai ????

Sometimes you just can't help stupid..... 

1 hour ago, holy cow cm said:

For my kids I don't care, they have USA citizenship and passports so can travel free to most all countries in the world that they want to go to

"can travel free"  5555

Glad your kids enjoy a good walk to Mexico or Canada, or maybe a swim to Cuba 

Nothing in Life is Free, unless you run a church and people give you money for nothing  :crazy:

20 minutes ago, moe666 said:

The one place I can get the same meal each and everytime I eat there, the food is good. She cannot make salary for her sister who works there because as she put it no faranges, my massage lady may have to give up her business because no customers. This government is in for a big wake up call unless the high season is very good but not looking that way. The TM30 fiasco sure doesn't help things at all

TM30 really doesn't affect real tourists, as hotels are (should be) doing the reporting. It's only us long term moaners that suffer the inconvenience. I see the situation gettign worse rather than better. When was the last time an immigtation law or policy made life easier for expats to live here? None that I can remember. If a policy significantly affects tourist numbers, there may be changes, but I don't see it happening. 

they kill more tourists themselves, even terrorists afraid come here via a minivan or use a taxi .

Don't think many chinese coming this year after the boat sinking fiasco, weak yen and strong baht .
Vietnam the new hot spot so need need worry thailand .

There really is a simple solution to the problem of foreign terrorism that would also improve the image of an unwelcoming Immigration on arrival:  give each arrival a free, hot bacon sandwich, and turn away those who refuse such kind hospitality.

2 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Each visa position has a camera that looks like a big round black eye...part of the process is to get your pic even though you bring pictures...what could this possibly mean?   ????

That's the camera that's always there....same as immigration at the airport, unless it's changed.

Whether they use a specific camera for face recognition, I don't know, but I don't think the Udon one is.

The reason they have a camera is so they have 100% sure that you came in on that day.

I agree.  The North Korean model seems the ideal country for Thailand to emulate.

You know, with personal government minders around the clock. Constant survellience wherever you go. Most of places off limits. Limited number of official tours. Inspection of cell phones/ cameras / sd cards etc

Even go further. How about mandatory microchipping of foreigners as proposed by Thai government minister in the past? 

Just so you know, a Thai government connected contact is telling me, this is due to PRChina who are pressuring Thailand (and a few other nations) in response to the recent backlash against China in Hong Kong.  They (China) want details of every single foreigner who enters thailand. I know this, because another person I know was hearing the same thing from another country. Apparently China beleive some of the key leaders of the protest are looking at asylum within south east asia or elsewhere. 

Terrorism is the excuse, but in reality it's China asserting their authority over little nations like Thailand - who are happy to comply with big brother's demands

Well I dont know that clever person who wrote this article but mind it that tourist influx has nothing to do with terrorism. Article reflects that 2 nations under discussion for visa free might bring these problems. Its absolute BS.

Top tourist destinations does not even have police visible in public. It all has to be monitored by intelligent and efficient intelligence services. Just an example, how many police or paramilitary visible in public in Singapore, Dubai,etc etc ref for Asia as example.

23 minutes ago, DavisH said:

TM30 really doesn't affect real tourists, as hotels are (should be) doing the reporting. It's only us long term moaners that suffer the inconvenience. I see the situation gettign worse rather than better. When was the last time an immigtation law or policy made life easier for expats to live here? None that I can remember. If a policy significantly affects tourist numbers, there may be changes, but I don't see it happening. 

Actually in this forum TM30 is the prime discussion and an unknown fear is created for no reason. Your clarification is true.

3 hours ago, jonclark said:

WUtter claptrap. Thailand's terrorism is entirely domestic. The bombs and murders in the southern three provinces are not carried out by a family of 4 from Dorset upset with the price of pad thai. 

Thailand needs to monitor its own people first before it points accusing fingers at foreigners. 

The Chinese, oops, Thai are certain that farang make Thai bad.

Obviously the odd bad egg is going to be in the tourists mix.

And biometric data isn't going to tell you this. 

When it comes to insurgent violence I really think that it is home grown threats they have to worry about. 

Especially when prisoners are employed making guns and weapons for the military. 

Where is any mention of the TM 30?

I read the content in light of  concerns about "undesirables" to the level of  terrorists as a confirmation of the wisdom in rejecting  visa  free travel from China and India in particular. That  plus the admission of the failings in screening entries despite the newly introduced bio metric facilities. The focus  was on an inadequately staffed system that remains  too reliant on paper shuffling despite attempts to change that which is possibly due to resistance adoption of a process which inhibits the opportunity for corruption.

IMO Thai Immigration needs a comprehensive complete revision and upgrade rather than ad hoc reliance on inefficient practices and variable implementation.

Border security is significant to any country. The TM30 is in reality an antiquated irrelevance in modern terms which has no genuine outcome despite being newly defended and implemented.

This "opinion" article seems to support the more realistic concept of radically improved border security rather than revisiting the "inconvenience" of the TM30 which seems to  preoccupy so much TVF  knee jerk commentary.

2 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

OHHHHH PLEASE! What is this... A Face thing and trying to convince the world about their terrorist problem backing up the B.S TM 30 need? Keep it up Thailand. You gonna have everyone hating you very quick. I just hope every other country considers Thai's a potential terrorist and does more extreme than the TM 30. For my kids I don't care, they have USA citizenship and passports so can travel free to most all countries in the world that they want to go to. 

With a visa.

Archived