Thailand worries mass tourism is bringing terrorism troubles

webfact

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, newnative said:

Total <deleted>.  The unrest in Thailand stems from the political system, corruption, and the most unequal wealth distribution in the World.  Filling out a TM30 isn't going to solve any of that.

Wrong there, TM 30 is going to cure all Thailand's problems - just ask the knobs - believe it is also great on in-grown toe nails and haemorrhoids. 

15 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

Coming?

Its here already. 

My last area Nern plub wan is predominantly Muslim and the call to prayer is publicly broadcast several times a day. 

And populus wise, they don't have the 0.7 children like the western world. 

They have them by the litter.

Radicalization is quite possibly already festering away. 

Hate speech posting. But I guess you are merely replicating the attitudes of Thais towards falang that posters on this thread seems to believe are endemic.

So much of the unpleasantness of today's world in these 7 pages

56 minutes ago, BuckBee said:

they kill more tourists themselves, even terrorists afraid come here via a minivan or use a taxi .

Don't think many chinese coming this year after the boat sinking fiasco, weak yen and strong baht .
Vietnam the new hot spot so need need worry thailand .

Why would the Chinese worry about the weak Yen?

Considering that the vast majority of Problems here is caused by THAIS, be that killing people while driving, scamming other Thais, poor buildings ( built by Thais ) Bad food ( made by Thais ) Corrupt THAI officials . How could yopu possibly blame all the tourists, as any sane intelligent Terroist will NEVER if ever follow any law made to track his/her movements, be that at port of arrival or subsequently. So as usual THAI Authorites are clutching at straws and speaking utter clap=trap . But then all my time here I have never heard a logical intelligent utterance from any Thai Government relating to terrorism , I expect they follow the PMs view, Thais do not do this ! 

34 minutes ago, brianbbb said:

The days of mass tourism are going with TM 30 and new visa regulations

Nonsense. I doubt if any tourist would even know what  30 is. The new visa regulations mean that many tourists now get a free visa on arrival instead of paying 2,000 baht or so.

I think you are confusing tourists with long term visitors. I won't call them expats as I detest that term except when applied correctly. Others may disagree on this point but I really couldn't give a tinkers cuss.

30 million folks a year is just too many people to keep track of. 

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Since 2013, when the annual influx of tourists nearly topped 30 million -- mainly due to a meteoric rise in the number of Chinese visitors -- Thai authorities have been struggling to monitor the whereabouts of foreigners, largely because of the shortcomings of the country's traditional, paper-based system for registering entries.

How about the gov't makes the immigration police salary a little attractive. There will be a large influx of new recruits to help solve the monitoring problems.

3 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Each visa position has a camera that looks like a big round black eye...part of the process is to get your pic even though you bring pictures...what could this possibly mean?   ????

This has been at Chaeng Wattana for a couple of years now. I doubt if it is for facial recognition, but probably more a digital photo to attach to the digital file. 

Yuh. I'm so worried that the gov't is so worried about terrorism I've decided to leave. It's obviously not safe for me or my family (or my money) here anymore. 16 years in and forced out by all these  'security' concerns and accompanying measures. 

Hopefully our departure will help the gov't to worry less (at least it'll be a dozen less tm30s per year for them to process, several less 90 day reports per year and one less annual visa extension).

I expect Vietnam will be safer.

Adios. 

....there are concerns that a number of mercenaries and criminal elements from the former Soviet Union have set down roots in Thailand. According to Thai police, they have engaged in money laundering, drug smuggling, weapons trading, human trafficking and other crimes.

In 2008, Viktor Bout, a well-known Russian arms trader, was apprehended in Pattaya, causing outrage in Moscow. Bout was subsequently extradited to the U.S. and sentenced to 25 years in prison after being convicted on charges of conspiracy and terrorism.

Since then, Thailand has been cautious about granting visa waivers although it has had considerable success with a bilateral visa waiver program with Japan.

What a complete load of rubbish.  I hope this article was only published online and that there wasn't any paper wasted on this dribble.

So they extradited this guy 11 years ago, probably not because he was committing crime but because the US Feds asked them to, and now they are citing this case as reason to believe Russian Mercenaries are doing business in Thailand.  Seriously?

And still, 11 years our efforts to stop international terrorism within the kingdom amount to pen and paper TM 30 forms which the government cannot even analyse the data because they are understaffed.

No background check or other hurdles before entering the country, just make sure we know where you're staying once you're here, thank you very much.

1 hour ago, Thaifriends said:

Well I dont know that clever person who wrote this article but mind it that tourist influx has nothing to do with terrorism. Article reflects that 2 nations under discussion for visa free might bring these problems. Its absolute BS.

Top tourist destinations does not even have police visible in public. It all has to be monitored by intelligent and efficient intelligence services. Just an example, how many police or paramilitary visible in public in Singapore, Dubai,etc etc ref for Asia as example.

Actually on my last stay in Singapore, there were large numbers of police/para-military police both walking the street and in vehicles. Not all carried side-arms, but most did. This was in the Little India area on a Saturday night, perhaps a hot-spot area for troubles. After 8 years here, I have yet to see a Thai policeman do any patrolling.

Maybe at visas on arrival, there would now be a nursing station to implant chips?

Or if needed for all arrivals, the chipping needles could be added to the biometric reader... put your hand on there to read fingerprints... "*AUCH*! What was that?!"

"Nothing to worry about Sir, it is just Thailand Immigration 4.0 souvenir... for your own safety..."

The pitcher goes to the well until it breaks.

Means they Thai overact with their TM30 (like Eastern German "Stasi" method) etc. till no foreign tourists come anymore.

But that is what the Thai male goverment wants, because they don't like foreign male.

Reason: Most foreign males treat women nicer then Thai male.

2 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

Maybe at visas on arrival, there would now be a nursing station to implant chips?

Or if needed for all arrivals, the chipping needles could be added to the biometric reader... put your hand on there to read fingerprints... "*AUCH*! What was that?!"

"Nothing to worry about Sir, it is just Thailand Immigration 4.0 souvenir... for your own safety..."

Take a look at today's cartoon in the "other newspaper". Hilariously close to reality.

5 hours ago, Chazar said:

Ah yes what we need is  more TM30's  how  about a  weekly Tm30 which can be  updated to daily..............of  course seeing older people who have been on extensions for years with no problems  caused is  too easy to select these out of the "all falang" mentality.

I'll up that and propose an hourly check in. It's mandatory the government realize where we are, what we're doing, and with whom we're doing it.

21 minutes ago, stereolab said:

Actually on my last stay in Singapore, there were large numbers of police/para-military police both walking the street and in vehicles. Not all carried side-arms, but most did. This was in the Little India area on a Saturday night, perhaps a hot-spot area for troubles. After 8 years here, I have yet to see a Thai policeman do any patrolling.

I see the RTP patrolling all the time in lower Sukhumvit - two on a CBR. Also, I've been able to spot Thai undercover cops hanging out here and there just watching. These are hard to miss since they virtually wear the same outfits and are probably armed with concealed carry.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Even as Thailand hit a record 38.3 million visitors last year,

LAST YEAR. The numbers are down, way, way down THIS YEAR.

One actually has to have "mass tourism" before you can link it to any increased terrorism threat.

5 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Went to immigration yesterday...they have installed facial recognition for visa applicants...probably tied to a world's fugitive database...be advised if you have outstanding warrants in your home country.

Ummm... so they took your picture. They've been doing that for the best part of 2-3 years already.

5 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Visa process for extension of stay at Udon Thani took about 20 min from time I handed over documents until I received back my passport with new 1 year extension...kudos to Thai lady who did my paperwork...

Can you PM me with your agent's contact details please?

Thanks!

NL

4 hours ago, jonclark said:

he bombs and murders in the southern three provinces are not carried out by a family of 4 from Dorset upset with the price of pad thai. 

With price rises in Thailand and the falling £, it's only a matter of time.

Seriously considered petrol bombing my local bar last week. 90 baht for a large Leo? They don't know who they're dealing with.

6 hours ago, fruitman said:

And how many of the terrorists in the past were western farang??

Right, we need to make it harder for them to visit Thailand...

Farang specialty is criminal rings, drug trafficking and pedophilia.   No one is competing with them.  

Archived