BANGKOK
webfact

U.S. doctors' group says just stop vaping as deaths, illnesses rise

6 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

No, it could never be considered healthy because imo it irritates the airways, and contains nicotine which is a narcotic.

But that's a long way from declaring it unhealthy, unsafe, or whatever.  It won't cause cancer or heart problems per se.

Agree with you. I would guess BTW it is approved in the UK as it is seen as less damaging than cigarette smoking, therefor a viable option for people to quit smoking.

5 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

No. Of course not. Not sure how you made that leap?

Just highlighting the fact that cigarettes remain unbanned in the U.S., even though they appear to be a vastly larger health crisis.

I have no horse in this race, just find it odd that in the space of a week or so we hear reports of vaping issues, and wham, they're banned.

tmg-article_tall.jpg

And also agree with you. I made that leap because someone gave the impression it was not unhealthy, as he was comparing it to smoking.

Regarding cigarettes not being banned, agree that looking at health risks they should be. However this has started a long, long time ago, at the moment the attempts taken are meant to stop new smokers. If introduced now cigarettes would probably nowhere in the western world be allowed.

Must be weak americans, no one ever in any other part of the world died in 15 years of vaping.

Gods natural selection - i guess.

It's really too stupid to even discuss it further, the same old fart Bloomberg who hates Bitcoin also hates vaping, oh surprise, he's massively invested in robbing the US citizens the traditional way.

1 minute ago, stevenl said:

Agree with you. I would guess BTW it is approved in the UK as it is seen as less damaging than cigarette smoking, therefor a viable option for people to quit smoking.

And also agree with you. I made that leap because someone gave the impression it was not unhealthy, as he was comparing it to smoking.

Regarding cigarettes not being banned, agree that looking at health risks they should be. However this has started a long, long time ago, at the moment the attempts taken are meant to stop new smokers. If introduced now cigarettes would probably nowhere in the western world be allowed.

That's why IQOS heating devices from Philip Morris just got approved? 

https://www.ft.com/content/574bbd32-6b71-11e9-a9a5-351eeaef6d84

They lose out on massive tax revenue if people vape due to the Master Settlement Agreement, the MSA says that  for every cigarette sold x amount of money goes to the state and in RETURN PEOPLE ARE NOT ALLOWED TO SUE CIGARETTE COMPANIES: https://www.publichealthlawcenter.org/topics/commercial-tobacco-control/tobacco-control-litigation/master-settlement-agreement

According to A State-by-State Look at the 1998 Tobacco Settlement 19 Years Later, states will collect $27.5 billion from the MSA and taxes in Fiscal Year 2018, but will spend less than 3 percent of it on programs to prevent kids from smoking and help smokers quit.

This is government protected theft and gives tobacco companies the green light on damaging millions of people.

Don't have much to add, but as MommyB says, they are being sold in some UK hospitals.  Ejuice is only sold in 10ml bottles in blighty; it suggests they are more cautious..?

sake_8.jpg

18 hours ago, stevenl said:

Comparisons with smoking are important because the whole point is about replacing smoking with something that is hopefully harm reducing.  At least 95% of current vapers are people who are former smokers. The over-riding contention which appears to be supported by fact is that whilst smoking cigarettes can and does cause cancer and heart disease, vaping doesn't when done properly.  Thus, it has enormous potential to reduce premature death in smokers.  Indeed, it is to everyone's benefit because vaping does not markedly change ambient air conditions, except for nicotine at low levels.

Although claims were made about cigarettes being safe 60-100 years ago, these did not have the benefit of the scientific analysis available today.  Nowadays, scientists can minutely examine any gas or liquid and accurately detect content, and compare that with a whole array of charts which have already determined what are safe levels, at work, in the factory, and at home.

But in comparison there is the danger of conflation- which for this example might be described as grafting the problems of smoking on to vaping.  Thus, people just look at it and assume danger. And if that belief is so strong, any indication supporting it is seized upon without proper investigation.  Thus we have the situation in the USA where a contaminated product that isn't even vape juice is used to confirm that vaping (as we know it) is harmful, and even dangerous.

It also ought to be acknowledged that whilst in yesteryear claims about safety were being made by the tobacco companies, these days they are being made by respected scientific bodies.

Edited by mommysboy

11 hours ago, BestB said:

Apparently he will not end it, he is backpedaling on his announced ban.

On this one, I entirely support Thailand in banning these killer items, despite the fact that the ban is not on health issues but rather for fiscal resons