cost of ultrasound at Ram vs. Rajavej ?

orang37

Hi,  

About three months ago I passed out doing early am yoga on an empty stomach after a few sedentary days of marathon programming. Broke a bone in the foot, and, maybe a toe, hitting the ground hard: that healed up okay without medical intervention.

But, demonic influences have now caused a long buried sliver of something in that healed foot to go vagabonding causing me episodic pain.

I've got a referral good at either Ram or Rajavej for an ultrasound.

Anyone have any recent experience; I'd guess Ram might have later model hardware, but, would be way pricier. I have an aversion to going to Ram based on a very unpleasant experience years ago (with the admin $ide of Ram, not the doctors).

thanks, ~o:37;

I had an ultrasound at Rajavej little over a year ago, I believe it was 1100 baht, plus the normal hosp fees/nurse fee of 150 to 300 baht.    Prices have gone up a little since then I believe.

My guess the cost at McCormick or Ram would be somewhat higher.    Hope this helps.

Ram is well priced for ultrasound.
I am also told by. And American radiologist friend that the head radiologist Ram is particularly skilled he gave an example which I cannot remember of something which normally requires a more expensive scan.
I also remember having a lung x-ray at the Ram. The radiologist noticed a curve in my windpipe at the. Very top of the frame. This turned out to be caused by a very enlarged thyroid on one side. Happily it turned out to be non-malignant but it had to come out anyway. A happy ending

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Went to Rajavej today, presented my referral document, was informed that I had to see their doctor before getting the scan.

I'll let my GP know that the information he has that you can get the scan without seeing their doctor first is incorrect.

~o:37;

During July 2018, over a 2-week period, I had a series of 5 ultrasound treatments at Bangkok Hospital for 260 baht each.  An appointment in the physical therapy department first with Dr. Thanayod ran me 400 baht.   I think that I paid upfront for the 5 treatments, and then just showed up each time as recommended.

There was never more than about 5 minutes of wait time prior to each session.  Prices may have increased by now, but I'd definitely go there again if I ever have the need.

If you did break a bone in your foot, I did as a youngster. and didn't get it set correctly, highly likely that the broken bone stopped growing or healing and the separate bones are now with a gap between them.  This was my case after having an xray for a badly sprained ankle reveal the damaged bone in my foot and was explained this way to me by the dr. who treated my ankle.

I had an abdominal ultrasound just last week at Ram, and it was surprisingly inexpensive.

Not *everything* is overpriced at Ram- and per usual, I was in and out in record time.

I know there are lots of Ram-haters out there, but my treatments have always been very reasonably priced.

Meds?  That’s another story...

20 hours ago, Brightly said:

I had an abdominal ultrasound just last week at Ram, and it was surprisingly inexpensive.

Not *everything* is overpriced at Ram- and per usual, I was in and out in record time.

I know there are lots of Ram-haters out there, but my treatments have always been very reasonably priced.

Meds?  That’s another story...

On some procedures, Ram is far less than any of the others; Sriphat, Rajavej, etc. I never buy meds at any hospitals. All of them charge as much as 400% higher than what it costs on the outside.

Update:

1. went to Ram where I was required to see their doctor

2. quoted 1500 baht for ultrasound, 470 baht for x-ray

3. doctor #1 (senor surgeon, not orthopedic surgeon) urges me to get x-ray. x-ray shows no foreign body present, and doctor believes I am experiencing neuropathic pain from improperly healed toe fracture with joint damage. 

4. sent to doctor #2 (orthopedic surgeon, younger man); this doctor believes there is an infection deep inside the foot, and, at this point, given the state of the foot, I still think there may be a piece of glass in there, but I can see infection as a plausible. i was not impressed by doctor #2 who at one point said that the infection may have "destroyed the distal toe joint." He was unable to explain why, if I had an infection capable of destroying a joint, why the foot condition had been stable for weeks, with minimal external signs of inflammation, and no systemic evidence of infection.

5 the bill: 400 baht for doctor #1; 500 baht for doctor #2, 470 baht for x-ray, 110 baht radiology fee no one can explain. Another 110 baht for nursing services and medical supplies (never even had my blood pressure taken, and no medical supplies were used).

I left with a cd of the x-rays that I am sure my GP won't be able to view, and, over-all, not much the wiser.

Next step, after 10 days of antibiotic, and little change in the foot: Maharaj/Sriphat and ultra-sound followed by whatever if a piece of glass is seen in there.

An idea (crazy ?): ask my GP to stick a small needle in the area and examine blood for signs of infection.

Unless, of course, your good advices reset my compass ????

cheers, ~o:37;

Thanks, Khun Fred, for your thoughtful response. I've had various splinters and fragments work themselves out, also.

This little demon is complicated because of its association with a fracture. Infection is now ruled out by blood test and absence of signs of infectious swelling, redness, etc.

I've just been diagnosed ... first time ... with gout-level uric acid, but, I don't have any of the lifestyle markers for gout ... I'm not obese at all, don't drink alcohol, don't eat the gouty vegetables, chicken, beef. My father and grandfather had gout in old age, but, they ate like horses, were obese, etc.  Perhaps my penchant for A&W root-beer (a six pack a week) is a culprit: I am stopping that immediately.

So, I'm on some meds (allopurin and colchecine) for gout: evidently fracture trauma followed by improper healing can produce a gouty condition. So, the game plan is stay off the foot pretty much, control the gout, and then, if it's not better, ultrasound to look for a foreign body. If all of that doesn't pan out, well, surgery is out of the que$tion.

cheers, o:37;

Thanks, Khun Fred, for another friendly post !

While I have a rich life here, I am by no mean$ rich ????

The urine test showed the high-level of uric acid. We'll see  how it goes after a few days of the meds.

cheers, ~o:37;

9 hours ago, FredGallaher said:

... be sure to drink plenty, no a lot of water. At least 3 lts/day

I am so hydrated people with liter jugs come up to me and try and put 5 baht coins in my mouth ... when cars run over me they go into a skid ... 

I avoid the farmers trying to capture me by surfing on myself.

~o:37;

Archived