Thai surgeon attaches a toe to replace thumb after boy attacked by dog

webfact

Thai surgeon attaches a toe to replace thumb after boy attacked by dog

4pm.jpg

Thai caption: Surgeon attached toe to hand

A seven year old Thai boy who was attacked by a dog and lost his right thumb has a new hand thanks to the skill of a Thai surgeon. 

The boy had gone to hospital after the attack and looked to be on the mend. But after a few days the medical team had to amputate his thumb due to an infection and circulatory problems. 

The decision was taken to cut the second toe from his left foot and replace the thumb with that. 

It was felt that this would have no detrimental effect on the boy's walking but would be very beneficial for his hand. It was also similar in appearance.

It was a tricky operation to attach blood vessels, tendons and nerves but was ultimately successful. 

The story of the operation was recounted by orthopedic surgeon Dr Wichit Sirithatthamrong of Chularat 3 Inter hospital online. 

Sanook said that the doctor in question had also saved the badly mangled hand of a patient who had caught it in a pump in July resulting in 100% usage of the limb. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-09-10

29 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Very well put, if it wasnt for the skill of a Thai surgeon at a government hospital, i would not be making this post.

We have both been blessed by the dedication and skills of a surgeons in different parts of the world mate. They are worth every cent they’re paid. Forever grateful ???????? 

Not to be derogatory, but surgery replacing a thumb with a big toe and visa versa was started in the late 1970's.

Nothing spectalar in surgery, but a good acomplishment by a surgeon and his theatre team, thai or farang.

Well done to all of the surgical team.

BTW, just don't ask the kid if his feet smell, or his nose runs....if the answer is yes, the kid will have been built upside down. 555.

6 hours ago, Inepto Cracy said:

Not to be derogatory, but surgery replacing a thumb with a big toe and visa versa was started in the late 1970's.

Nothing spectalar in surgery, but a good acomplishment by a surgeon and his theatre team, thai or farang.

Well done to all of the surgical team.

BTW, just don't ask the kid if his feet smell, or his nose runs....if the answer is yes, the kid will have been built upside down. 555.

You people really are jerks

A different kind of procedure, but my life was saved by a surgical team that grafted a piece of a vein from my leg into my heart to route blood  around a couple of arteries blocked by clots and rerouted my mammary artery to bypass a third, all while my heart was turned off for a couple of hours! Amazing these docs today.

Happy for that youngster. 

22 hours ago, webfact said:

The story of the operation was recounted by orthopedic surgeon Dr Wichit Sirithatthamrong of Chularat 3 Inter hospital online.

Shame he wasn't the first doctor to treat the patient.. might have saved the real thumb !

Archived