Dust mites, where to buy the special sheets and products for control

daoyai

It seems I have a dust mite problem,  allergies and skin irritation is the result Dr. Google says I need special very tight weave cotton sheets, pillow covers and mattress pad as well as "anti-mite" powder. Anybody know where to get in CM? thanks

On 9/10/2019 at 9:57 AM, daoyai said:

It seems I have a dust mite problem,  allergies and skin irritation is the result Dr. Google says I need special very tight weave cotton sheets, pillow covers and mattress pad as well as "anti-mite" powder. Anybody know where to get in CM? thanks

A couple of things here.... I have a considerable dust mite allergy as confirmed by skin testing, and have dealt with these kinds of issues for years.

1. From your post above, I'm not sure on what basis you've concluded you have a dust mite allergy. You may well, but I'm not sure how/why you think it's dust mites as opposed to anything else.  Skin testing by a dermatologist where they inject a bit of allergen serum under the skin on your forearm and watch for and measure reaction is the best method.

2. Dust mites thrive in humid, hot/warm conditions, including places like traditional mattresses here. But actually, what humans generally react to is dust mite droppings and such which are microscopic and can easily be spread through the air by human movement in a bed or elsewhere.

3. You can wash bed linens and pillows in very hot water, and that will kill the mites. There also are solutions you can add to your washing machine to neutralize the allergic effect of dust mite droppings. But for mattresses and box springs, the best solution usually is to completely encase them in special dust-mite proof covers made of material that allows the mattress to breathe but prevents dust mites or their dropping from getting out.

I've seen some of those kinds of products (mattress enclosures and anti-mite laundry solutions) offered for sale here in Thailand in the past, either thru Facebook sites or places like Lazada. But I usually buy mine from the U.S. via Amazon or other similar sources, where there's a much larger industry of products related to combating dust mite allergies, and I'm more inclined to trust their quality control.

This is one local service provider I'm aware of. But I've never used them myself, and don't know how effective their methods are:

https://www.dh-thailand.com/?lang=en

https://www.dh-thailand.com/our-service/mattress-sanitizing-service/?lang=en

I suspect, dust-mite mattress and box spring enclosures would be a more economical solution.

And here's a website from a U.S. retailer of dust mite-related products:

https://www.natlallergy.com/find-relief-from/dust-mites

12 hours ago, daoyai said:

...it is actually the GF, she has exema from childhood and is certain it is from enzymes produced by mites...  me?  no probs, I am a caveman.

To properly solve a problem, obviously, you have to identify the correct cause first and then find a solution.

Saying the GF "is certain" her skin problems are from dust mite allergies isn't exactly the basis for a conclusive diagnosis.

Don't know if this is going to be any help.

Each time sheets are changed I sprinkle lots of Prickly Heat Powder on the mattress before putting on clean sheet.

Don't know if it actually does any good, but I would imagine any mites or bed bugs would hopefully choke on the powder and move on. 

Anyway the bed always feels fresh. 

12 hours ago, Daffy D said:

Don't know if this is going to be any help.

Each time sheets are changed I sprinkle lots of Prickly Heat Powder on the mattress before putting on clean sheet.

Don't know if it actually does any good, but I would imagine any mites or bed bugs would hopefully choke on the powder and move on. 

Anyway the bed always feels fresh. 

Sprinkling talcum powder on your bed or mattress isn't going to do anything to prevent dust mites. But it may well cause allergy or respiratory problems for the people who end up inhaling the talcum powder not only from the bed but as those talc particles get airborne.

I don't know if something like this is available in Thailand.  It might work if you bag or enclose the mattress temporarily and "fumigate" it.  Might take a few days or more. The no-pest strip contains 18.6% Dichlorvos AKA "Vapona"  (2,2-dichlorovinyl dimethyl phosphate, commonly abbreviated as an DDVP).  It is volatile and the insects inhale the vapor.  I've used it against yellowjacket wasps with immediate results. 

40 years ago I got some of the concentrate in Thailand and it was used to spray a mung bean field.  I don't recall if I bought in Loei or had to get it from BKK.  A local agriculture research station (ICI?) recommended it.

I'm not certain if it is effective on dust mites.  There is renewed interest in using DDVP against bed bugs.  https://www.wired.com/2014/01/cdc-warning-misuse-pest-strips/

http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles/extoxnet/carbaryl-dicrotophos/dichlorvos-ext.html

image.png.199ab76ece6663f6f15e71bcfcd92b27.png

13 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Sprinkling talcum powder on your bed or mattress isn't going to do anything to prevent dust mites. But it may well cause allergy or respiratory problems for the people who end up inhaling the talcum powder not only from the bed but as those talc particles get airborne.

Yea!  Yea!  Yea!  Don't affect me so whats the problem?

I'm sure allergic people are smart enough to know this, tough judging by posts on here perhaps not.  

Archived