4am closing: Will put Thai tourism "down the drain", says Dr Mohamed

webfact

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, nickstav said:

There are after-hours clubs already tucked away in all of the cities mentioned. Additionally, you can buy alcohol after bar closings in convenience stores, which results in a lot of street drinking. I would imagine monitoring bars would be easier.

Two different clientele...  people that flip over a bunch of milk cartons and setup and impromptu bar or something to that effect have not very much overlap with those that are going clubbing.   I would say a compromise of a hard 2am closing would be a reasonable compromise (legal - not based on tea money) [depending on area].   Thailand already has enough tourists, they don't need any more -- and not those that would make visiting dependent on having a 4am closing.

"Dear" "Dr." Mohamed.

if you would be actually really concerned about safety, how about asking the honorable RTP to enforce actually existing laws, instead of trying to tell adults, what to do and when?

Secondly: bars are empty all around the place as it stands now!

Now matter what time of day or night!

It will make absolutely ZERO difference, except for people having a choice (I know: something you are not too fond of, in this neck of the woods!)

Yours "sincerely"

St. Nick 

Jees the most stupid rule this country or have positions higher up isn't it?
Chiang Mai is the perfect example of being ruined due to midnight hours, that is the word backpackers passed on + just few come / stay shorter.

Then on top of that you ask a muslim his opinion about drinking? He should be stripped of his Dr. title as well, he is too stupid.
Pff.... I am sure he also thinks we should throw stones at drinking Thai girls. Thailand is so done.. Hello Vietnam.

Guess I have to speed up relocating our business and life. Luckily the visa applications are on the way already.

I often wonder why folk do not start drinking earlier to finish earlier. Lots if the bars staffing cost will increase if open to 4 am ...it is bad enough neighbours rolling back at 1.30 after closing down that would be 5.30 .. Hmm maybe a good idea they can keep bars going until 6 am?.. And all the drunk drivers with the morning traffic .. Will help to keep accident kevels up too! 

I’m sure this won’t go over well among some of you, but expanding bar hours till 4 is a terrible idea. 

All it it does is promote more crime and cause needles violence.

When bad things happen anywhere it’s usually late and at a bar. People get wasted and do things they wouldn’t do otherwise. And drunk tourists are sitting ducks for criminals.

I enjoy a few like anyone, but if you need to be at a bar after 2 or before 10 me thinks you’ve got a drinking problem.

Ok boys, have at it!

12 minutes ago, brucegoniners said:

I’m sure this won’t go over well among some of you, but expanding bar hours till 4 is a terrible idea. 

All it it does is promote more crime and cause needles violence.

When bad things happen anywhere it’s usually late and at a bar. People get wasted and do things they wouldn’t do otherwise. And drunk tourists are sitting ducks for criminals.

I enjoy a few like anyone, but if you need to be at a bar after 2 or before 10 me thinks you’ve got a drinking problem.

Ok boys, have at it!

well guy you are right - I don't like what you say. That's because I don't need nor want a control freak nazi telling me what/when I can and cannot do.

In older days I would stay out late, 4-5am, yea, would certainly be well buzzed by then, and never have I caused or promoted crime or cause any violence (needless or otherwise). Neither did I see other patrons doing same. And I was not the victim or a sitting duck for other criminals. 

You, are speaking for yourself and yourself only, and trying to lay your line of <deleted> on everyone else is a full load. idiot.

Does Thailand need another preachy ninnie recommending a prudish and a pure lifestyle to us? I have a recommendation to the Dr. Lead by example. Show us the glory and virtuosity of your own life and perhaps we will be inspired by your lead. Frankly, your words mean less than zero. They are just that. Words, without substance. Do you really know anything about that which you preach?

As for tourism going down the drain, the Thai authorities have already seen to that. Pay attention please Dr. Mohamed. Class is in session. 

As a muslim who has no choice but to campaign against booze,  gay rights, women's equality, democracy  free thought etcetc I have no interest in his bigoted,  ill informed prejudices nor should anybody else especially TAT. Before Taksin 4am was standard closing time and Thailand had a reputation as a good place to come on holiday and party. Then puritanical authoritarianism became the norm and became reinforced recently because the power elite do their partying in free Europe but wish the Thai people and visitors to conform to stringent norms  of behaviour dictated by hypocrites, religious extremists and the military mind set. God help us. There is more fun and freedom in Bahrain and Dubai. 

Craziest idea ever was closing early if you want to attract tourism.

We a;ways looked at what times the discos closed in the old days.

It was the first thing we looked at before deciding where to go.

Dr Mohamad........Dr of what? certainly no brain surgeon

2 hours ago, madmen said:

At midnight the party has just started. Did you never party/ night clubbing when you were younger?

Agree- we used to go out to clubs that opened at 4am - staggered out at 2pm next day ( in just a slight chemical haze)-  those were the days . That was just Saturday night - not every day. 

Spare a thought for the girls and guys who have to work until 4.

Personally I think 2 is late enough- then move on to clubs that go on much later .  

I would like to see them commit to their arrogance.

Close all nightlife/bar establishments by 10pm. 

After all, the Thai elites have been rambling on for years about how they want certain upscale tourists and not others. 

Show your stones, and do it! 

Archived