Bought new car: rust on disk brakes after 3 days

72BKK

Hello everybody

I am no expert on cars, I have had 2-3 new cars in the past but really have not expertise as I just said so i am here asking advice.

My wife bought a new Isuzu truck and last thursday was delivered to us. 

The first 2 pictures are exactly from thursday morning and of course disks brakes were in perfect conditions as you can see.

Then saturday it rained and I was around driving our new car and the day after, sunday morning i noticed rust on the disks brakes on both the front wheels (pics 3 and 4). A lot of it.

Yesterday We visited a mechanic who told us Isuzu would have put the anti-rust on the brakes so then went to meet the Isuzu dealer that sold the car and they told us the rust was absolutely normal

and that there is nothing to do about that. They said this occurs to all new Isuzu cars and there is no reason to worry about.

I tend to believe them and I am sure they are right cause i am no expert.

By the way better to ask for advice: is it perfectly normal like they said?

Thanks in advance

Andrea

freni a disco.JPG

freni a disco2.JPG

IMG_20190908_161705.jpg

IMG_20190908_161737.jpg

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surface rust on the rotors is nothing to worry about (they are cast iron or something similar).

I'm quite surprised they weren't painted, but if you don't like the look of it there's nothing to stop you painting the rusted areas. Obviously keep the paint off the braking surface (the shiny bit).

H

57 minutes ago, Sam Lin said:

This is completely normal, you can glance in the wheels of other cars next time you're in a parking lot.

Honestly i did check other cars in a parking lot and of course i found some with rust but no rust in apparently new cars like ours.

I'll do it again

20 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Off topic, but relevant.

Rust is more annoying on a cast iron frying pan as the taste gets on the food. Yuk.

Always wipe it with a thin coating of oil after washing.

Yes you are right.....

OP, what you have is perfectly normal but doesn't look nice. If you take the wheel off, get a bit of rag and spray WD40 or Sonax on to the rag, not the disc. Wipe the rusty bits with the soaked rag, the rust will come off, then wipe with a dry rag. The slight residue will stop the rust for a while.

On my run around I sprayed the non contact area with black paint. Looks cool.

Years ago some motorbikes (and maybe some cars too?) had stainless steel disks to prevent the unsightly rust - only problem is they didn't work in the rain. 

So now most disks are cast iron.

Normally the heat from braking dries them out and prevents the rust on the braking surfaces - but if the brakes get wet when they are cool (rain or washing) and the car is stationary for a few hours, they will show some rust on the braking surfaces too - but as soon as you use the brakes it will clean the rust from the rotor - but the hub and the edges will stay rusty.   Quite normal.

Heat proof paint (designed for engines) on the edges and the hubs can be used if it bothers you, but don't get oil near brakes, (or use engine oil on your cast iron frying pan ???? )

car may be new, but it sat outside in the humid Thai air for several months before you bought it.  Some surface rust is OK.  But frankly what concerns me is the white chalk mark on one of those pictures.  Why is it marked?  Is it possible the brakes or disk were swapped out? 

Perfectly normal ..... Discs are made of steel which oxides, this is quite normal.  Vehicles like motorbikes with exposed discs may sometimes use a stainless steel. .this is for appearance sake, but stainless doesn't actually make for such good brake characteristics.

Once the car has been driven for a while, general dirt deposits will make the rust less visible

17 hours ago, sweatalot said:

Oil on a braking disk? Are you joking?

He didn’t say oil on a disk brake. He was talking about cast iron frying pans. Oiling the frying pan after washing a drying. Wiping with very thin coating of olive oil using a paper towel perhaps. 

I also use put a very thin coating of olive oil on my coconut and palm wood chopsticks after washing and drying.  Let them sit coated in the olive oil for a couple of hours, then wipe again with a dry paper towel. The chopsticks last for decades that way. Always look brand new. ????????

22 minutes ago, Boon Mee said:

Beat me to it 

As Neil Young famously stated:  "Rust Never Sleeps. 

You need to consider the action of disc brakes in two components, the disc pad and the rotor. The pad acts on the rotor to effect braking this has the combined effect of wearing on the surface of both items, primarily the wear will occur on the pad but a lesser amount will be to the metal rotor - the debri from both tend to combine and when combine with moisture the surround affected areas with show surface rust. Although normal, it can be unappealing, depending on the style and quality of your wheel rims, it may over time cause blemishing of rims. Regular washing usually suffices of the rim chrome/paint surfaces.

41 minutes ago, Catoni said:

He didn’t say oil on a disk brake. He was talking about cast iron frying pans. Oiling the frying pan after washing a drying. Wiping with very thin coating of olive oil using a paper towel perhaps. 

I also use put a very thin coating of olive oil on my coconut and palm wood chopsticks after washing and drying.  Let them sit coated in the olive oil for a couple of hours, then wipe again with a dry paper towel. The chopsticks last for decades that way. Always look brand new. ????????

Doesn't  matter about whatever tangental situation the 'he' was introducing... but the OP's Thread is about brakes  

Anyhow it isn't really just about that there was rust there,  as if not there...nature would have had to have changed her mind about the natural order of things. What does affect your outcome is whether the handbrake has 'frozen' to the disk? 

Archived