Bought new car: rust on disk brakes after 3 days

72BKK

10 minutes ago, mistral53 said:

yes - that is correct, it's also not mentioned in my post as the reason for my car having zinc plated rotors, and the OP brake disks are obviously does not. This is not about materials, it is about rust inhibition that obviously in the case of my Trailblazer has done an excellent job in prevention surface rust.

Must confess I have never heard of zinc plated rotors...

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, transam said:

3 minutes ago, transam said:

https://www.summitracing.com/int/search/part-type/brake-rotors/rotor-finish/zinc-plated

https://www.americantrucks.com/f150-brake-rotors-2015.html

https://brakeperformance.com/zinc-plating-process.php

you get the drift............?

2 minutes ago, mistral53 said:

They are the original disks, I never touched them. Zinc plating is (was?) very common.

My 2018 Benz has zinc plated disks, too.

Yeah I can understand a high end  or performance car having zinc plated rotors but a nothing vehicle like a trailblazer.... engineers done well to get that past the bean counters !!

Jeez.... some of the comments. As a former garage owner I can't take this anymore.

If you asked me I would have said 123 posts on rusty brake discs was not possible. Would the OP please fit carbon ceramic discs and save us all the bother. (Oh Lord what have I started now?)

4 minutes ago, mistral53 said:

Yes but that is for performance stuff, I am thinking factory..

On 9/13/2019 at 7:05 PM, transam said:

Yes but that is for performance stuff, I am thinking factory..

just came across this clip - it stands to reason as this still frame shows, the brake disks are probably zinc plated, from the factory.......and its a lowly Chevy

Captiva.JPG

16 hours ago, mistral53 said:

just came across this clip - it stands to reason as this still frame shows, the brake disks are probably zinc plated, from the factory.......and its a lowly Chevy

Captiva.JPG

Looks like they had to for the view through the trendy wheels..It could be that the OP's discs did not get the final plating..

On the subject of paint and fires.

Waaay back when dinosaurs roamed I had a 2.3 Litre Vauxhall Viva. It looked like a regular HC Viva but had Firenza running gear including front disks and the 2.3 litre Victor inclined 4 engine with twin-choke Weber.

My Rostyle (Boy Racer) wheels allowed viewing of the rotors so they were painted with regular flat-black spray paint, not even high temperature.

So, even with my heavy right foot, the paint never even blistered let alone caught fire. The beast was enormous fun to drive.

Just saying. I wouldn't actually suggest doing it of course.

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

On the subject of paint and fires.

Waaay back when dinosaurs roamed I had a 2.3 Litre Vauxhall Viva. It looked like a regular HC Viva but had Firenza running gear including front disks and the 2.3 litre Victor inclined 4 engine with twin-choke Weber.

My Rostyle (Boy Racer) wheels allowed viewing of the rotors so they were painted with regular flat-black spray paint, not even high temperature.

So, even with my heavy right foot, the paint never even blistered let alone caught fire.

Just saying. I wouldn't actually suggest doing it of course.

Correct, done the same to loads of rides, even the one I have now...Normal use rotors get hot and will burn your fingers, but the hub you can spray paint just gets a bit warm, probably not as warm as a car roof out in the sun....:stoner:

Just now, alan grice said:

When i was a Pup there was a Rattle Can Paint called Spherex or sumfin like that monica, as yer cud spray on ot fings.!. I m rather certain 65 years later there must be similar available.emoji68.pngemoji439.png

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Why are you talking like an idiot?

Brake rust ... holy Hell.  I once took a crappy company car to the airport and parked it for several days.  It was rainy.  Got back late one night and the car wouldn't back out of the parking space quite right.  Chirp, chirp, squeak.  Turned out, the drum brakes in the back had rusted and frozen. I had to get out there at about 11:00 p.m., jack the car up, loosen the wheel lugs and beat the living <deleted> out of the brake drums with the tire iron until they came free.  The parking lot attendants were curious, but didn't mess with me.  They saw the look on my face.  I was not pleased.

2 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

Brake rust ... holy Hell.  I once took a crappy company car to the airport and parked it for several days.  It was rainy.  Got back late one night and the car wouldn't back out of the parking space quite right.  Chirp, chirp, squeak.  Turned out, the drum brakes in the back had rusted and frozen. I had to get out there at about 11:00 p.m., jack the car up, loosen the wheel lugs and beat the living <deleted> out of the brake drums with the tire iron until they came free.  The parking lot attendants were curious, but didn't mess with me.  They saw the look on my face.  I was not pleased.

I just rock em back and forth (1st gear/reverse) till they free up.

Archived