That's great! Foreign tourists help Thai man after motorcycle accident

webfact

That's great! Foreign tourists help Thai man after motorcycle accident

8pm.jpg

Video caption: Worthy of praise! Foreign tourists help a man after an accident

Chiang Mai News said that Thai netizens were full of praise for a foreign man and woman who responded to an accident in Chiang Dao. 

The couple got out of their vehicle and helped with first aid before emergency teams and the police arrived on the scene and got the injured man - dressed in army fatigues - to hospital. 

8pm1.jpg

Picture: Chiang Mai News

The injured man had been on a Honda that was involved in a collision with an Isuzu that stopped at the scene. 

Chiang Mai News said it was great that even though they were tourists they would go out of their way to help in this manner. 

It happened on September 4th, they said. 

Source: Chiang Mai News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-09-10

Excellent, well done tourists! 

Now, some tool will be along to advise us ‘never help in an accident as you will be blamed’...  well, I hope this closes out that bar-stool-delusion.

We should help out if safe to do so and whenever we can - it contravenes basic decency & humanity not to. 

I’ve helped out in accidents in the past - knowing I did the right thing feels good. 

Looking at the picture it seems the farang was helping or working with a Thai, I assume the driver of the vehicle involved. This seems a safe thing to do, I would have been reluctant to get involved otherwise. Because I have both medical knowledge and some equipment I am often asked by people in my village to measure their pulse, blood pressure, blood sugar, temperature etc. I am careful to give them information but not advice, it is their decision what to do with the information. 

The last one of half a dozen or so I've assisted had a gaping foot wound directly outside a pharmacy that would only sell me a dressing "end of assistance" to cover it from the scorching road surface and the videoing crowd until the ambulance arrived didn't even say thanks but sure the next one will????

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Excellent, well done tourists! 

Now, some tool will be along to advise us ‘never help in an accident as you will be blamed’...  well, I hope this closes out that bar-stool-delusion.

We should help out if safe to do so and whenever we can - it contravenes basic decency & humanity not to. 

I’ve helped out in accidents in the past - knowing I did the right thing feels good. 

Then why do so many Thais not stop and help when they see an accident? We've all seen videos of them driving around or past someone sprawled in the road. I can only assume they lack the basic decency and humanity to refer to.

It s great yes but that s just very normal, if doing a normal thing like this deserves a thread in a forum thats mean there something very wrong here. Is that so amazing that a tourist does this??? What kind of person would not help the accidented man in this situation? Anyway its always good to see people helping each other, im sure this is happening every single day

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Then why do so many Thais not stop and help when they see an accident? We've all seen videos of them driving around or past someone sprawled in the road. I can only assume they lack the basic decency and humanity to refer to.

Because those who don’t stop are selfish or scared because they don’t know what to do.

It’s usually the story of a BG or some other uneducated person on the lower rungs of the socio-economic ladder who advise such rubbish - then the dim foreigners who date such people perpetuate the dumb myths. 

Most do stop and help... I’ve passed plenty of accidents and there are (nearly) always people getting involved & helping where they can. 

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

They do not want to get implicated, injured people tend to want to blame others for their stupidity.

The injured party could easily blame you for the accident.

This is why the Thai's mind their own business.

12 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Many Thais don't know how to give first aid, they don't have a glue what to do. 

On the other hand, my neighbor is a nurse. She goes to work in street clothes and changes at the hospital. Why? Because if there is a situation on the way to work, she doesn't want to get involved ... 

One neighbor I know I can count on in a pinch!  ????

13 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Perhaps because you are an ignorant foreigner is why you make fatuous remarks. 

14 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Maybe you assume too much.... most lack the medical knowledge so wait for the emergency services to arrive.

8 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I'm not in Bangkok. Once upon a time, but no longer. As I said, you don't even know me. What motivates you to make disparaging remarks about a stranger, I wonder?

The ugly way the strange one speaks about people for whom I have much affection.

On 9/10/2019 at 4:54 PM, Bangkok Barry said:

"We've all seen videos of them driving around or past someone sprawled in the road".

No, we haven't all seen that. 

You think that everyone in the vicinity of an accident should stop, regardless of others already there and assisting, and if anyone doesn't stop they all "lack basic decency and humanity"?

On 9/11/2019 at 6:50 AM, hmficc said:

Perhaps because you are an ignorant foreigner is why you make fatuous remarks. 

They don't know what to do and are scared to make a mistake, making them (in their minds) accountable, i am sure many would like to help if they knew what to do in such cases.

I think it has to do with the fear of ghosts.  That person lying on the road might already have died.  Thais in general really have this thing about ghosts, and won't go anywhere near where they perceive them to be.

But, that said, most Thai don't have a clue about proper first aid.  Perhaps it's not taught partially because of the paragraph above. 

Offering a bottle of water to someone who might have a minor injury, or may just be thirsty, though, could show some compassion and elicit a smile and a wai in appreciation.  I've done it on a couple occasions, and felt that I'd helped calm the situation.

Archived