Stickman says Hooters Silom is closing...

fforest1

5 hours ago, neeray said:

As a rule, "closed for renovations" usually means "scrambling for new sucker investors". In many cases, the place never reopens (couldn't find the suckers).

Suckers?  I didn't know Hooters was that sort of place.  Maybe you're confusing it with Lolitas?

Cheap Charlie's survived by moving to cheaper rent.  I hope they are successful, and others scatter, too. Compare opening a bar in a high rent area to buying a shop house away from the tourist Hotspot and running a smaller operation.. the latter would be 100 times safer investment, and you could still live upstairs, not pay rent, and possibly position yourself for a large payday, when the bulldozer comes.  Seen some very accessible shop houses underneath the Purple line around Bang Song or Tao Poon, that have so much upside potential compared to Sukhumvit.  

hooters seems like a good idea in thailand as a western corporate looking in, but in reality its not thai at all and i dont think the concept will ever work here.

hooters is the kind of thing that works in vegas or orlando. caters to a specific customer base. your not going to find the type of customers you need in cheaper countries, maybe hong kong, shanghai or japan it could survive on hiso business clientele.

4 hours ago, mercman24 said:

i was told yesterday soi 4 Bangkok Hooters was going up for sale, 18 million was mentioned, (i would have thought more) and as an add to BAR 4 doi 4, has been sold and being gutted out now.

i would guess that 18 mil is just the key money a new renter would need to pay to take on the lease for the space, ie the right to pay the rent!  for however long , plus fixtures and fittings (maybe)

On 10/4/2019 at 9:57 PM, toast1 said:

The Soi 4 Golden Bar was always packed, they had a license to print money.
Could not understand the logic of replacing it with a tacky, expensive corporate chain.

Not surprisingly, it was generally as quiet as a Buddhist monastery retreat, I would see green tourists in there sometimes, looking bored.

Sure The Golden Bar was a sleazy, dirty, run down dump, but it was our sleazy, dirty, run down dump.

And we liked it!

Absolutely! Was a great place to meet pals, have a few beers in the evening, watching the circus roll by, or even just to chill out with some good tunes on the MP3 player, however 'they' seem to think that continual modernisation and change is a good thing. They don't seem to realise some of us like it just the way it is or they way it was.

It's like some of the abominable new bars in NEP these days, all chrome and hideous Eurotechno, when the 'old skool' type of bar like 'Sexy Night' (the last survivor, and long may she survive) the old DC10, 3 Roses, Hogs Breath to name but a few classics which have been blitzed in the name of 'progress'. Sure they may have been dated, dirty and dingy, but they were 'our dated, dirty and dingy' places.....

I read an article in the U.S. news just recently that said the Hooters chain in the U.S. is having financial problems and declining business, and raising the possibility that the entire company might close up and/or entirely change the style of their restaurants away from large breasted servers.

The chain closed a significant seven percent of their locations in the years between 2012 and 2016, and sales have continued to stagnate. Though Hooters has a unique business model based on a combination of bar food and sexualized servers, it suffers from a lot of the same hurdles as other restaurants on this list—the general decline and increased competition in the sit-down casual dining market.

The company has also tried going in another direction with similarly named Hoots, a new quick-service restaurant with a pared-down menu of only Hooters’ takeout bestsellers. Hoots employees are clad in v-necks and polos paired with khakis, a far cry from the skimpy attire expected from Hooters servers. 

https://babbletop.com/10-fast-food-chains-struggling-to-stay-in-business/

And this news out of Hong Kong just in the past day:

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/community/article/2151690/only-hooters-restaurant-hong-kong-closed-questions-linger

6 hours ago, mercman24 said:

i was told yesterday soi 4 Bangkok Hooters was going up for sale, 18 million was mentioned, (i would have thought more) and as an add to BAR 4 doi 4, has been sold and being gutted out now.

On a parallel note, the Snapper New Zealand fish and chips restaurant that not long ago relocated to a side-soi of Suk Soi 8 (not too far from Hooters Soi 4) sent out an email recently saying they were going to be closing that location later this week and putting the whole place up for sale.

Though their website at present makes absolutely no mention of their impending closure that I can find...

http://www.snapper-bangkok.com/

never understood how such a place could make money in Thailand. Maybe at some very busy tourist spots with people fresh off the plane, but other than that, it's completely pointless. Food and drinks are expensive and the waitresses too conservatively dressed.

4 hours ago, inspire15 said:

Looks like the IQ level in the US is increasing

unlikely.

more likely: the level of humanity is decreasing. more and more humans behaving like obedient politically-correct mainstream robots.

On 10/6/2019 at 1:37 AM, sunnyboy2018 said:

I think in this case the term sucker refers to a foolish person not the act of fellatio.

Whoever managed to orchestrate this photo across the soi should really have got some sort of photojournalism award... 

1570668294719.jpg

Archived