Thailand's August foreign tourist arrivals up 5.6% year on year

snoop1130

11 minutes ago, madmen said:

Dude what is wrong? if you put half the effort in promoting you're broken "hotel" as you do trashing Thailand around the clock you may Even turn a profit ..

How do you know its broken? i am not the one, but you who is  flying back to Oz to buy and bring back towels because you can not afford to buy locally????

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the past two years, I have been going to Don Muang airport at least three times per year. Every time I got off the A 1 bus and walked into the terminal, there would be a line of Chinese waiting to check in. The line was unbelievably long. Yesterday I was there and there was no line. I always got there at the same time of the day and there always was a line. Not yesterday. Guess its possible that the departure time could have changed so maybe this means nothing. Also the amount of people at the airport was noticeably less.

14 hours ago, Jane Dough said:

Contrary to many people on this thread banging on about lies and statistics, it is perfectly reasonable to suggest that the numbers are up year on year. The effects of the the Phoenix boat tragedy, in July 2018, were mostly felt by cancellations in August of last year. The question is whether the year on year increase can be maintained over the next few months compared to the general recovery after the cancellations from Phoenix. That is more debatable.

Rooster

Looks like you are right. Arrivals in August 2018 were very low and even lower in September 2018.

http://www.atta.or.th/?p=4019

Tourist Arrivals.xlsx

14 hours ago, DrTuner said:

You do if you transit to a regional airline, say you arrive with Thai at swampy and take a connecting with Air Asia from Don Muang. Or any other connecting method. I suspect quite a few have just a single overnight stay to wait for the connecting one. Impossible to say for sure though as only immigration has the stats and hasn't released them AFAIK.

The statistics are TAT statistics and like every country who report the same thing they'll be based on the Arrival cards all non-Thais complete. They count arrivals, and that's what they're reporting. They don't count departures, since it's assumed that all tourists depart at some point

>> The number of foreign tourists arriving in Thailand rose 5.59% in August from a year earlier, with Chinese visitor numbers rebounding strongly, the tourism ministry said on Tuesday.

This is contrary to what is written in this article: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-09-05/bali-beaches-bangkok-temples-go-quiet-as-chinese-stay-at-home

“The slump in Chinese arrivals and tourism spending is being felt throughout the region,” said Kampon Adireksombat, Bangkok-based head of economic and financial market research at Siam Commercial Bank Pcl. 

Who is right ?  The tourism ministry or Siam Bank ?

I think there is a new band of tourists on the way!  

634133-railways.jpg

Knowing that the Indian Railways have experienced much trouble with derailments, etc., how do they expect that train and its load of tourists to take off and fly to Thailand?  If the authorities in India change their minds maybe they expect it to travel across the sea.  Also, impossible, me thinks.
'nuf sed.

On 9/10/2019 at 9:01 PM, Fex Bluse said:

I learned from educated Thais that you never trust whatever is being claimed. 

Thais know themselves.

Any announcement needs to be met with suspicion and read between the lines. 

In Thailand there is a very weak attachment to truth, so words are fairly meaningless on their face. 

Did they 'claim' to be edu- faketed ? ????

23 hours ago, khunpa said:

I can’t believe I keep returning here and spend my time reading this <deleted>.

Was at a food market in the center of CM last weekend. Half the food stalls were closed at 19.00 and only a handful of tourists to be seen. The place was completely dead!

Congrats to the government for completely having destroyed the tourist industry.

I have been told of a 7 in bang bau that closes now at 7pm.

2 hours ago, wotsdermatter said:

I think there is a new band of tourists on the way!  

634133-railways.jpg

Knowing that the Indian Railways have experienced much trouble with derailments, etc., how do they expect that train and its load of tourists to take off and fly to Thailand?  If the authorities in India change their minds maybe they expect it to travel across the sea.  Also, impossible, me thinks.
'nuf sed.

Maybe they left and on their way home !

2 hours ago, Globe Trotter said:

Because the Chinese and Indians don't tend to frequent bars, clubs or most restaurants; not to mention beaches 

So if they make up the majority of preferred tourists but don't frequent the above why does the T.A.T minister think it's going to increase profit margins by up to 25% by extending closing time by 2 hours?

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

So if they make up the majority of preferred tourists but don't frequent the above why does the T.A.T minister think it's going to increase profit margins by up to 25% by extending closing time by 2 hours?

I never said that it makes sense, I am merely pointing out how it is. I was shocked when I visited Pattaya last week with how many Chinese were there, of course all cooped up in tour buses or walking around the harbour. 

5 minutes ago, Globe Trotter said:

I never said that it makes sense, I am merely pointing out how it is. I was shocked when I visited Pattaya last week with how many Chinese were there, of course all cooped up in tour buses or walking around the harbour. 

Well it's not all that bad. The Chinese basically keep to themselves, they keep there dicks in their pants - but they do buy alcohol, food and rent accommodation. Correct ??

23 minutes ago, Melbun said:

Well it's not all that bad. The Chinese basically keep to themselves, they keep there dicks in their pants - but they do buy alcohol, food and rent accommodation. Correct ??

To an extent. My GF works in a hotel back in Hua Hin, and it often is the case that there will be a room booked for a Chinese guest, but they turn up with 7,8,9 or more people, expecting to stay in 1 room. 
If Thailand keeps heading in the way it is now, the restaurant and bar scene will crumble more and more. I'm speaking from what I've seen in Hua Hin, after talking with restaurant owners and such. Things have never been as bad as they have been this year according to them.

8 hours ago, ThaiBunny said:

The statistics are TAT statistics and like every country who report the same thing they'll be based on the Arrival cards all non-Thais complete. They count arrivals, and that's what they're reporting. They don't count departures, since it's assumed that all tourists depart at some point

But if you took the detailed data you could take departure time - arrival time = time in Thailand and publish that data. They don't so it's impossible to see which are legit tourists that stay >1 day.

Swampy is a regional hub so I suspect there are quite a few that just used it as a hop.

On 9/10/2019 at 8:25 PM, BigBadGeordie said:

There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.

Four actually, you forgot 'Thai lies', which are the most unbelievable kind and fly in the face of all evidence that they are indeed lies. 

Archived