Council garbage truck driver fined B1k for brake failure ending in 10-car Patong pile-up

snoop1130

Council garbage truck driver fined B1k for brake failure ending in 10-car Patong pile-up

By Eakkapop Thongtub

1568111268_1-org.jpg

No people were injured in the accident. Photo: Patong Municipality Fire Dept

PHUKET:-- The driver of a Kamala Municipality garbage truck has been fined B1,000 for reckless driving after the brakes allegedly failed while he was descending Patong Hill this morning (Sept 10), causing a 10-car pile-up at the bottom of the hill.

Police were called to the scene, in front of Suwankiriwong Temple (Wat Patong) at 8:45am, reported Lt Kwansirinat Thairat of the Patong Police.

Kusoldharm rescue workers and EMS team from Patong Hospital were also dispatched to the scene.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/council-garbage-truck-driver-fined-b1k-for-brake-failure-ending-in-10-car-patong-pile-up-72823.php#70HAXyPQH1hWkgys.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-09-10

7 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Found guilty and fined on the day that it happened?

(from the article:)

"The driver of the garbage truck, Huang Damrat, 51, told police that he was driving down the hill while returning to Kamala from Phuket Town when his brakes failed."

His brakes allegedly failed, but was definitely fined 1,000 Baht for reckless driving.

The police obviously did an instant technical check to prove it one way or the other: The bullsh!t detector gave a positive reading.

It's swift Thai justice.

we that will be incentive for him to make sure the vehicle he is responsible for is road worthy in the future - he doesn't want another hefty fine like that again 

How many thousands of baht damage did he cause ? not to mention the extreme risk to life

well done Thailand everyone feels much safer now ………………………….NOT

10 hours ago, smedly said:

we that will be incentive for him to make sure the vehicle he is responsible for is road worthy in the future - he doesn't want another hefty fine like that again 

How many thousands of baht damage did he cause ? not to mention the extreme risk to life

well done Thailand everyone feels much safer now ………………………….NOT

No brakes, 10 car pile-up, untold damage...bt1000 fine....only in Thailand, heh heh heh..... 

41 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Thailand …..  the brake failing capital of the world. ????

More breaks fail in Thailand than anywhere else in the world  !! 

When you know that you can buy a pickup without bumpers and also without various parts, it would not be surprising that you can also buy a vehicle without braking system ...
This is certainly why Thailand is the "hub of brakes failed" :crazy:

Maybe one day soon, in the 22nd century, for example, Thai drivers will have learned how to use their gearbox on descents and also understand what are safe distances ...

Even with a vehicle with an automatic gearbox it is very easy to use the different positions of the lever; I do it very regularly when I drive in the northern provinces;
so yes, I consume a little more GO but I hardly use my brake pads;
my Isuzu pickup is 180,000 km and the brakes are original.
Pads on the front and trims behind.
Maintenance done since birth, almost 10 years ago, at Isuzu Sawang Daen Din

1 minute ago, Assurancetourix said:

When you know that you can buy a pickup without bumpers and also without various parts, it would not be surprising that you can also buy a vehicle without braking system ...

{snipped}

I'd forgotten that.

I bought a new Mitsubishi Strada fifteen years ago and one of the many things I had to pay extra for was front & rear bumpers.

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

Thailand …..  the brake failing capital of the world. ????

More breaks fail in Thailand than anywhere else in the world  !! 

With zero maintenance it make complete sense... shame he missed a few tuk tuks!

2 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

Maybe i'm missing something, but surely the municipal or private company he works for should be fined 100k or 1 million Baht or whatever, for having an unsafe commercial vehicle on the public road, and not the driver being fined 1000 Baht.

Agreed, also fined for employing a driver without ensuring he is adequately trained. 

I suspect the brakes may have been working at the top of the hill, but by the time the truck was near the bottom of the hill they had over-heated and failed. 

A common accident in Phuket for drivers large vehicles 'ride the brakes' and rely less on engine breaking (i.e. 1st gear), ultimately the brakes fail. 

Archived