Are western falang no longer welcome in Thailand

Garbol56

Is it just me or does it seem that the current Thai government is hostile towards western falangs, my plan was to retire to Thailand in 2 years but I'm having second thoughts. 

A lot can happen in 2 years so now I will sit back on my couch with some popcorn and watch how it unfolds. 

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This government is in the business of looking for scapegoats for the country's woes to deflect any criticism of themselves. Falangs are an easy target, but I sense that if they go too far it will lessen the chances of investments from farangs home lands. Money talks.

7 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

605796844_bored3.jpg.5029d3b01b80107baff70d17b6c4c031.jpg

What's your problem? The OP has raised a very important subject here, given the current percieved attitude of Thai Immigration, government and the local populus at large towards western expats. Its about time someone had the balls to start a discussion on this topic on an open forum such as Thai Visa.

To the OP, what's your nationality and what is your financial situation? That makes a difference on how your future in Thailand may work out, or not. Nationality mattering for embassy income letters and more local alternatives than Thailand. Yes there are a number of other choices for you other than Thailand. It's dropped dramatically in ratings in best places to retire and there are very good reasons for that.

The Thais never liked westerners. They only admired our power. 

Asia is the most xenophobic place on earth, and many reputable Asian and non-Asian authors have written about this. 

Part of what is happening now is a Thai realignment away from the West to China, it's brother and with whom it has deep cultural affinity.

The Thais with influence are almost exclusively of Chinese ethnicity and will inevitably align with Chinese nationalistic sentiment. 

There are many old farang who, due to

* being unconnected with Thais of any influence,

* and interacting predominantly with a selection of poorly educated Thais such as having transactional relationships with Thai women based on sex and companionship in exchange for pension monies, 

* or having been in careers that required very little global knowledge or education 

... are fairly clueless as to the shifting geopolitics and xenophobia. Many are guys who genuinely believe that any Thais who smile at them do so genuinely and because they are deserving of such regard. 

8 minutes ago, grollies said:

What's your problem? The OP has raised a very important subject here, given the current percieved attitude of Thai Immigration, government and the local populus at large towards western expats. Its about time someone had the balls to start a discussion on this topic on an open forum such as Thai Visa.

The perception you allude to is only on this forum exacerbated by the people who reside in the farang ghettos of Pattaya and Phuket. They seem to feed on each others misery (lack of funds perhaps) and blame Thailand for all their woes.

They try to do outdo each other in their whining about Thailand and all things Thai.

Possibly they got burnt by an uneducated farm girl...imagine that?

Add in the losers who couldn't survive and went home with their tails between their legs but continue posting in their ill perceived status as elder statesman of the forum.

As an added benefit include the guys who spent 2 weeks in Pattaya ten years ago who see themselves as the font of all knowledge about Thailand and Thai people but now can't wean themselves off the forum and you have the perfect storm.

To the OP...there are many. many more people who have happily made Thailand their home than will ever post on this forum.

Give it a go and see for yourself.

@emptypockets I disagree.

I maintain a residence on Wireless road. 

From your comments, I would guess that you are not on speaking terms with many wealthy farang in Thailand. 

Because they largely share the OP's observations. 

These are guys who have NO financial issues, in any country anywhere on earth. 

Do you know any such farangs? Or, are you taking about pensioners? 

17 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

The perception you allude to is only on this forum exacerbated by the people who reside in the farang ghettos of Pattaya and Phuket. They seem to feed on each others misery (lack of funds perhaps) and blame Thailand for all their woes.

They try to do outdo each other in their whining about Thailand and all things Thai.

Add in the losers who couldn't survive and went home with their tails between their legs but continue posting in their ill perceived status as elder statesman of the forum.

As an added benefit include the guys who spent 2 weeks in Pattaya ten years ago who see themselves as the font of all knowledge about Thailand and Thai people but now can't wean themselves off the forum and you have the perfect storm.

To the OP...there are many. many more people who have happily made Thailand their home than will ever post on this forum.

Yes emptypockets, i really hope that I can call Thailand home, cheers.

38 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

I really have not noticed much difference in the process for myself... nor in the attitudes of everyday Thai people... I am not in a tourist area... I do the same visa process every year and enjoy my life. 

Totally agree.

I have never had to jump through any hoops at immigration, I just comply.

Walking round the lake in the mornings at 4.45am, feeling pretty safe, get smiles and acknowledgements from most, if not all, Thai walkers (and no need to wear a stab vest, like I would in UK), and never have any problems with Thais in my everyday life, regardless of their status or wealth.

I think it is more about each individual farang's attitude (or paranoia), rather than the Thais themselves. 

25 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

and god help you if you start a topic about how happy you are in Thailand on this forum.

the Misery Zombies swarm over you like The Walking Dead.

35 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

To the OP, what's your nationality and what is your financial situation? That makes a difference on how your future in Thailand may work out, or not. Nationality mattering for embassy income letters and more local alternatives than Thailand. Yes there are a number of other choices for you other than Thailand. It's dropped dramatically in ratings in best places to retire and there are very good reasons for that.

That's all from research is it jungthing?

21 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

From your comments, I would guess that you are not on speaking terms with many wealthy farang in Thailand. 

Of course you do Fex, just keep on telling us how wonderful your life is: awesome!

2 hours ago, faraday said:

Of course you do Fex, just keep on telling us how wonderful your life is: awesome!

I do so only to illustrate how facile arguments are that suggest it is only farang without money or who have led uninspired lives who have noticed Thailand's changing geopolitics and xenophobia. 

The regional signs of anti westernism and anti globalism are EVERYWHERE! Particularly strong in China and its derivative countries like Thailand. 

Below is a video of what is happening in China - which I can confirm as several prominent business friends have left are in the process of leaving.

Thainand is no different, and more forum members would know if they knew people of any significance in Thailand, as opposed to random broke farangs. 

35 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

You maintain a residence in the city, how very Victorian of you, normal people have houses or flats or apartments ! Do you retire to your Country Estate for the Summer by any chance?

47 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Only if you read this forum.

There are thousands of 'farang' blissfully unaware of the alleged hatred going about their lives very happily in Thailand.

Well,  I do sense there is a strong dislike from Thais that come into contact with rude, entitled, arrogant, disrespectful, complaining, loud, smelly, shirtless, uncouth foreigners. (feel free to add to list)

I have observed that the majority of said foreigners are from western countries.  

These situations are mostly in the tourist areas or where farangs have retired en masse (CM for example)

The majority of farangs are not  bad but with the increased number of retirees and long stayers over the last ten years or so the saying "a few bad apples can spoil the bunch"  now applies.   Thais (not just the govt ! ) are getting sick of it ....... as am I.    Fortunately those of us who live away from groups of farangs are indeed unaware of any animosity and are doing pretty well, thank you. 

2 minutes ago, stuandjulie said:

You maintain a residence in the city, how very Victorian of you, normal people have houses or flats or apartments ! Do you retire to your Country Estate for the Summer by any chance?

Normal people don't maintain residences? 

Anyway, Farang really do need to toughen up and learn to treat people as potential threats where necessary. 

Ignorance is bliss only until it's too late. 

Don't become a victim because you don't understand the enemy. 

25 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

and god help you if you start a topic about how happy you are in Thailand on this forum.

the Misery Zombies swarm over you like The Walking Dead.

haha    post positive things at your own peril     ????

Archived