Are western falang no longer welcome in Thailand

Garbol56

5 hours ago, grollies said:

What's your problem? The OP has raised a very important subject here, given the current percieved attitude of Thai Immigration, government and the local populus at large towards western expats. Its about time someone had the balls to start a discussion on this topic on an open forum such as Thai Visa.

Its an oft repeated observation. 

.endlessly. Its a cliche which requires not balls at all rather just requires the abscence of original thought combined with a lack of understanding of Thailand. And what is a western falang? Does he mean westerners or Europeans or Whites? And is he referring to tourists, visitors, backpackers,  expat workers, retirees? Its just the start of a troll thread from some who is not in Thailand and may have never been here. Any foreigner who uses the term falang is confused and lacks credibility.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Yinn said:

Forcing farang to speak thai??????? 

Not true. At all.

Most farang can not speak thai. Don’t know about thai custom.

I never hear any my friend talk about this war??????????

Really? Most Thais do not care about farang at all. Most Thai don’t see farang, just not important to our life. 

You imagination same Fex. 

Sorry you are not important.

Farang can not change us. 

How they will do it? 

Fast food, the war on drugs   men wearing ties   women wearing doc marten boots, soccer,  feminism  Animals rights nonsense, dollar parity,  English language dominance 

Just speaking of my own experience; I find most of the Thais I interact with in my daily life quite friendly, even government officials and taxi drivers. I speak Thai and I treat Thai people with respect. Aside from some frankly idiotic rules coming from the top (immigration mostly) I find Thailand quite a pleasant place to live except for it becoming increasingly expensive due to the high flying Thai baht.

This idea that Thais hate all Westerners is, in my experience, verging on the paranoid.

1 hour ago, Ron jeremy said:

Cutting in line in front of you???????? I look forward to this type of thing happening, they don't remain in front of me for long, perhaps 2-3 seconds. 

I don't and won't stand for their <deleted>!

I was in a 7-11 a while back, and a tourist, Indian I think, tried cutting in front of me, but the Thai woman who was just ahead of me in line, pointedly told the cashier that I was next, not the rude tourist. I was served immediately. I smiled and thanked the woman.

I don't know why so many on this forum put down and insult the Thais so much. I'm not some naive newcomer either. I have been in this country on and off for 32 years now, so I have a bit of experience and the Thais are alright in my book.

I think the general Thai man/woman on the street has no problem with any white Westerner who behaves themselves in a dignified and polite manner.

18 minutes ago, charmonman said:

I don't know why so many on this forum put down and insult the Thais so much.

probably because they got burnt badly by some nana bar girl.

Do unto others as they would do unto you ….  so essentially I treat others with respect and politeness and as such get the same back …  

International Living...ranks Thailand 9th in best places to retire...give serious consideration to the other 8 countries before making your decision...

Thailand receives high marks from me on available female companionship, unique cuisines, cost-of-living, natural beauty and infrastructure...

Low marks for government instability, offensive immigration policies, police state style surveillance, culture of scalping, corruption, violence, and insane driving habits...

Good Luck!   ????

7 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Totally agree.

I have never had to jump through any hoops at immigration, I just comply.

Walking round the lake in the mornings at 4.45am, feeling pretty safe, get smiles and acknowledgements from most, if not all, Thai walkers (and no need to wear a stab vest, like I would in UK), and never have any problems with Thais in my everyday life, regardless of their status or wealth.

I think it is more about each individual farang's attitude (or paranoia), rather than the Thais themselves. 

You won't have any problem with the ordinary Thai people, the vast majority of them are decent honest, and non confrontational.

It is the Thai governments attitude towards retirees and tourists which is the biggest problem these days.

the population is friendly to me,

more so then in my home country actually.

but after umpteen numbers of visa runs,

ED visas, and now when i finally became 50,

retirement extensions too are under attack

from immigration,

- i have come to realize that i dont want to lay crippled

or die with visa hassles chasing me.

i wish i had just settled in some somewhat warm plot of EU

land where i am a citizen, have rights, and medical care

2 hours ago, charmonman said:

Just speaking of my own experience; I find most of the Thais I interact with in my daily life quite friendly, even government officials and taxi drivers. I speak Thai and I treat Thai people with respect. Aside from some frankly idiotic rules coming from the top (immigration mostly) I find Thailand quite a pleasant place to live except for it becoming increasingly expensive due to the high flying Thai baht.

This idea that Thais hate all Westerners is, in my experience, verging on the paranoid.

Yes paranoid, and I suspect a lot of people who feel this way read this forum too much and dont travel around Thailand much, are a bit racist, a bit entitled, are not very nice peope, not experienced travellers,  are Australian, are trapped here but cannot stay.

6 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

I don't have any problem, apart from boring repeated assumptions. Immigration have a job to do I just comply with it, and what's perceived got to do with it, if the OP thinks Thailand is hostile don't retire here then.

There are many of us who have put their roots down at a time when it was a pleasure to retire here, and just cannot up sticks and leave.

Sadly this is no longer the case.

6 hours ago, Momofarang said:

OP forget it. Just do not retire in Thailand. They do not want us here for the foreseeable future. Google "srrv philippines" or "malaysia M2H" and you'll see what neighboring countries do to attract retirees. There is absolutely nothing of the sort here in Thailand.

Just don't waste your hard earned retirement time and money in this xenophobic dump.

Yea, yea, the 'grass is always greener'.

Don't even live here, do you.

6 hours ago, Yinn said:

The thais never like you. You say before you don’t have any Thai friend.

But other farang have thai friend, happy life.

Who?

Fex have the big imagination he the important guy and all the Thais care and talk about him. 

But most Thai do not think anything about farang. Do england people in England care about thai people? No, they care about there own live.

sorry Fex, you are not important to thai people. Nobody even want to be friend together with you.

Hi Yinn, my friend you. 

Before na, you say me you not respond to me anymore.

Now you change your mind. 

I so happy we friend. 

Maybe I go you for eating somtam, OK mai? 

1 hour ago, Puchaiyank said:

International Living...ranks Thailand 9th in best places to retire...give serious consideration to the other 8 countries before making your decision...

Thailand receives high marks from me on available female companionship, unique cuisines, cost-of-living, natural beauty and infrastructure...

Low marks for government instability, offensive immigration policies, police state style surveillance, culture of scalping, corruption, violence, and insane driving habits...

Good Luck!   ????

I agree with your post except for the word violence.

8 hours ago, grollies said:

What's your problem? The OP has raised a very important subject here, given the current percieved attitude of Thai Immigration, government and the local populus at large towards western expats. Its about time someone had the balls to start a discussion on this topic on an open forum such as Thai Visa.

LOL. There must be dozens of threads about that very subject on TVF.

The number one rule of life is "EVERYTHING CHANGES" ( and usually when it's most inconvenient ).

IMO the real question isn't whether the government is anti farangs, but why they would be? If we can answer that, we can have a good stab at predicting the future for us.

I don't doubt that they are making it harder, and have been doing so for decades, not a few months.

While I don't think they are going to turf every farang out, I wouldn't be marrying a Thai, buying any property in LOS, nor would I be keeping all my money in a Thai bank.

Like the Boy Scouts say "be prepared".

7 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I agree with your post except for the word violence.

I watch Thai news everyday...in my opinion, this is a violent culture...arguments are settled in violent ways...women are not safe from their husbands or boyfriends, children receive harsh punishment from their teachers, dissidents disappear, and yes even farangs are not exempt from the carnage...????

8 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

I don't have any problem, apart from boring repeated assumptions. Immigration have a job to do I just comply with it, and what's perceived got to do with it, if the OP thinks Thailand is hostile don't retire here then.

Obviously my extremely poor attempt at irony was missed by you and a few others.................????

Big difference between "tourists" and expats living here in the eyes of the Thai people IMO. 

"western falangs" are welcome as long as they are 2 week millionaire tourists  spending big baht every day

Retirees/expats  $ contribution to the Thai economy is insignificant compared to the $ contribution from tourism.   

Article on Pattaya News. 

https://thepattayanews.com/2019/09/10/thai-tourism-ministry-announces-august-tourism-results-up-5-59-year-over-year-chinese-rebounds-strong/ 

The 3.41 million foreign arrivals in August spent 170 billion baht ($5.55 billion), up 7.12% year-on-year, the ministry said in a statement after a cabinet meeting.

The number of Chinese tourists, Thailand’s biggest source of visitors, jumped 15.6% in August from a year earlier to 1 million, after increasing 5.81% in July 

12 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

@emptypockets I disagree.

I maintain a residence on Wireless road. 

From your comments, I would guess that you are not on speaking terms with many wealthy farang in Thailand. 

Because they largely share the OP's observations. 

These are guys who have NO financial issues, in any country anywhere on earth. 

Do you know any such farangs? Or, are you taking about pensioners? 

Read my post again. I am talking about forum posters.

However, since you brought money into the discussion I know people (and not necessarily all farang) who could buy and sell most farang in Thailand. I know some (asian) who would toss a coin if the wealthy farang had the balls to take on a bet for his total wealth, and do it just for a laugh.

Good luck maintaining the residence on Wireless road. if you have a bit of spare time I need some maintenance done on my place. Not a lot, just mow the lawn and clean the windows. Do you work on an hourly rate or do you quote for the whole job?

11 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

Normal people don't maintain residences? 

Anyway, Farang really do need to toughen up and learn to treat people as potential threats where necessary. 

Ignorance is bliss only until it's too late. 

Don't become a victim because you don't understand the enemy. 

IMG_20190911_090645.png

12 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Totally agree.

I have never had to jump through any hoops at immigration, I just comply.

Walking round the lake in the mornings at 4.45am, feeling pretty safe, get smiles and acknowledgements from most, if not all, Thai walkers (and no need to wear a stab vest, like I would in UK), and never have any problems with Thais in my everyday life, regardless of their status or wealth.

I think it is more about each individual farang's attitude (or paranoia), rather than the Thais themselves. 

That sounds like my life in London.

Londoners also greet you with a bright good morning, if you greet them first. 

Life is what you make it.

I don't know anyone who wears nor feels the need to wear a stab vest, other than police officers.

The only caveat for me is that I prefer warm weather, so I prefer to spend the winter in warmer climes.

Never impressed with those who feel the need to denigrate their own. Either the women or their own country.

11 hours ago, stuandjulie said:

You maintain a residence in the city, how very Victorian of you, normal people have houses or flats or apartments ! Do you retire to your Country Estate for the Summer by any chance?

You misunderstand.  He maintains it.  He's the janitor.  

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. There must be dozens of threads about that very subject on TVF.

The number one rule of life is "EVERYTHING CHANGES" ( and usually when it's most inconvenient ).

IMO the real question isn't whether the government is anti farangs, but why they would be? If we can answer that, we can have a good stab at predicting the future for us.

I don't doubt that they are making it harder, and have been doing so for decades, not a few months.

While I don't think they are going to turf every farang out, I wouldn't be marrying a Thai, buying any property in LOS, nor would I be keeping all my money in a Thai bank.

Like the Boy Scouts say "be prepared".

Sums it up very well. Everything changes. If you are not adaptable then this will be problematic.

My take on it all is this. Do they want westerners/foreigners out...YES!!...but.....Only the riff raff that create loads of bad press, problems for the police and cannot viably sustain themselves. I do not blame them. When I lived in the states I was always bothered by immigrants that were in trouble with the law or freeloading. Why should Thai people not make changes to their system to do the same?  Yes there will be some collateral damage where some that have lived close to the edge will be caught up in the clean up. No system change goes off perfectly.

But all of this BS people spew that Thais want westerners out is really nonsense IMHO. If you are aligned, meet the requirements you will have no issues.

4 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

Hi Yinn, my friend you. 

Before na, you say me you not respond to me anymore.

Now you change your mind. 

I so happy we friend. 

Maybe I go you for eating somtam, OK mai? 

No I busy today Walter Mitty guy.

Prince Harry and Megan come my house for lunch. 

The answer to the question is... Yes and No but seems to be bordering more on the no side from the Government. The immigration is surely putting the clamps down on open mobility come as you go for domestic freedom. So if feeling like a criminal is ok, then yes, you are feeling welcome.

Archived