Jump to content
BANGKOK
webfact

Israel's Netanyahu announces post-election plan to annex West Bank's Jordan Valley

Recommended Posts

It's quite scary what world leaders can do when given a map and a sharpie.   

  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing to worry...

 

Israel is the only democracy in the region and has an army with high moral values.

 

Plenty of ancient Israelites archeological sites to be discovered soon in Samaria exclusively on the West Bank.

  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Thorgal said:

Nothing to worry...

 

Israel is the only democracy in the region and has an army with high moral values.

 

Plenty of ancient Israelites archeological sites to be discovered soon in Samaria exclusively on the West Bank.

 

"Israel is the only democracy in the region and has an army with high moral values."

 

Relative to the neighborhood - mostly yes.

 

"Plenty of ancient Israelites archeological sites to be discovered soon in Samaria exclusively on the West Bank."

 

Many already discovered and surveyed over the years. Hardly necessary anymore as pretext. The last bit ("Samaria exclusively on the West Bank") is redundant.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the OP annexation happens it will be the final nail in the coffin of the two state solution, with Israel's new eastern border entirely shared with Jordan. The only problem for Israel is that it cuts off 2.5 million indigenous Palestinians living within Israel's new borders but without equal rights. 

 

The only solutions would be:
1. Ethnic cleansing of the non Jewish indigenous population.
2. Overt apartheid...bantustans of Palestinians living within Israel's external borders but without any civil rights.
3. A single democratic state with a whole host of political solutions: variations from one man one vote through to managed confederation.

 

Thanks to Trump and Netanyahu a single state solution that I thought would take decades to achieve is progressing towards its inevitability.

 

Younger generations of Palestinians, liberal Israeli Jews and diaspora Jewry are beginning to realize this natural conclusion...if we can't agree to divide the land, then share it. The only impediment will be cowardly EU and US leaders who continue the charade of urging negotiations for a mythical two state solution, but without actually applying any pressure to achieve it. So it may mean the business of occupation will continue as usual but hopefully without the facade of a redundant PA, forcing Israel to manage security and to take full responsibility itself for the situation they have created.

 

All roads will eventually lead to a single annexed state anyway.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/11/2019 at 6:07 AM, Morch said:

 

If reading this as anything more than an election-related stunt, then I think he either -

 

(a) Familiar with the so-called peace plan, and jumping the gun assuming the Trump administration would go along and endorse it. Or..

 

(b) Makes a move aimed to preempt certain elements of the supposed "peace plan".

 

But again, I think this relates more to recent polls, the need for a political spin and Netanyahu's pattern of behavior when a close election race reaches the final stage.

By the way, what is your guess ? Do you think Netanyahu will be able to form a government again after this coming election ? 

 

Of course, even if he does, he might find it hard to keep this government going for long. 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, dexterm said:

If the OP annexation happens it will be the final nail in the coffin of the two state solution, with Israel's new eastern border entirely shared with Jordan. The only problem for Israel is that it cuts off 2.5 million indigenous Palestinians living within Israel's new borders but without equal rights. 

 

The only solutions would be:
1. Ethnic cleansing of the non Jewish indigenous population.
2. Overt apartheid...bantustans of Palestinians living within Israel's external borders but without any civil rights.
3. A single democratic state with a whole host of political solutions: variations from one man one vote through to managed confederation.

 

Thanks to Trump and Netanyahu a single state solution that I thought would take decades to achieve is progressing towards its inevitability.

 

Younger generations of Palestinians, liberal Israeli Jews and diaspora Jewry are beginning to realize this natural conclusion...if we can't agree to divide the land, then share it. The only impediment will be cowardly EU and US leaders who continue the charade of urging negotiations for a mythical two state solution, but without actually applying any pressure to achieve it. So it may mean the business of occupation will continue as usual but hopefully without the facade of a redundant PA, forcing Israel to manage security and to take full responsibility itself for the situation they have created.

 

All roads will eventually lead to a single annexed state anyway.

 

Your rant hangs on its first word - "if". No actual input offered on the likelihood of this "if" coming about or the motivations behind the statement.

 

De facto, Israel's eastern border is exactly in the same place (along the Jordan river), and it's been this way for over 50 years now. Most (if not all) realistic programs for a peaceful solution include provisions for continued/prolonged presence and control of Israeli (or an agreed third party) at the border. 

 

The "cutting off" beat doesn't relate anything that is not a long standing reality. Trying to cast it as a new development is odd, at best.

 

Your usual list of "only solutions" fails to include, as usual, the possibility of a civil war, or the current state of things going on, one way or another. The rose-tainted nonsense about all them people coming together for the greater good doesn't reflect reality, political circumstances or demographic trends. 

 

And as armchair wannabe activists do - not much care or thought given to how certain suggestions and ideas might effect the lives of the populace. It's all very well wishing the PA gone and Israel assuming responsibility - kinda doubt that indicates much familiarity with the implications for the Palestinians. Apparently, the possibility of scoring some obscure PR points for the "cause" outweighs that - at least from a comfy armchair.

 

Blaming it all, as usual, on Israel, the USA and the EU is getting old. Ignoring the Palestinian side's part in all of this, other than casting them as passive, eternal victims is ridiculous, at best.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, JemJem said:

By the way, what is your guess ? Do you think Netanyahu will be able to form a government again after this coming election ? 

 

Of course, even if he does, he might find it hard to keep this government going for long. 

 

 

 

Sadly, I think he'll win, yes.

 

It's a close race, but he's a better and more experienced campaigner than his rivals, elections timing favors him as well, and last minute surge of support is already a thing with him. He's also better positioned to form a coalition, although this too, like his support, got eroded some.

 

One of the much talked about hypothetical options is a national unity government. Some say that's the best realistic result the opposition may hope for. While there's also talk of Netanyahu being replaced as head of his party to facilitate such moves, this is less likely to happen.

 

One way to understand Netanyahu's recent spate of statements (annexation plan, toppling Hamas rule, Iran this-or-that etc.) relates to how tight the race is. All of these statements target voters considering support for parties to the right of Netanyahu. One main reason is that votes cast for parties not making the 4% support line go to the drain. Hence he's trying to paint himself as a credible alternative to the more extreme elements, hoping to retain overall right-wing support rates.

.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...