BANGKOK
Michael Hare

Flooding in Ubon

The Northern part of the ring road passing Chayangkhun, Kemmarat, Tan Sum, and Phibun intersections was ok yesterday

Things can change fast.  (pic from social media)

ubon 10sep19.jpg

• Like 1

17 Ubon Ratchathani districts declared flood disaster zones

By The Nation

800_d7265ac4dad2b94.jpg

The Ubon Ratchathani provincial administration has declared 17 districts disaster zones as the flood situation in the northeastern province continued to worsen on Wednesday.

Full story: https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1122853-17-ubon-ratchathani-districts-declared-flood-disaster-zones/

8 hours ago, bergen said:

The Northern part of the ring road passing Chayangkhun, Kemmarat, Tan Sum, and Phibun intersections was ok yesterday

Thank you Bergen. I came home that way this afternoon. No problems. No traffic jams. The water levels are now higher than the big flood in 2002 but not quite to the level of the 1978 flood. I remember that flood. Roads to Ubon were closed but one could travel on the train to Warin and then get a boat across to Ubon city centre. 

• Like 1

Another item from local social media today

1568194067713.jpg

My daughters school have canceled classes for tomorrow and Friday. So apparently they only expect it to get worse than it is now.

• Like 1

Good evening. 

Is Central open for business. (Thursday)

If so I presume the best access is through town and east on Sappasit?? Any knowledge/tips would be useful. 

Many thanks

The water has almost stopped rising. Click on the red blinking box on this page and go to M.7. Hopefully it will start dropping in a day or two. It's already starting to go down in Kheuang Nai.

Edited by ubonrthai

The article I have just read in the Bangkok Post suggests the flooding will get worse tomorrow and last over the weekend. 

According to Thai media the PM is going to pray for you so nothing to worry about good luck your on your own🤔

• Haha 1

Worst floods in living memory (80+ years) in my little old village in southern Ubon. I believe that there is more to come for Ubon city.

Flat land is good when things are good.  I'm more of a hillbilly.  I like to be up a hill a ways, out of the flood zone.

On 9/11/2019 at 8:10 PM, Patriot said:

Good evening. 

Is Central open for business. (Thursday)

If so I presume the best access is through town and east on Sappasit?? Any knowledge/tips would be useful. 

Many thanks

Dunno whether Central Plaza mall was open yesterday but the western side of the Ring Road was still passable, but with backed up traffic due to 2 lanes not 4 being used (and diversions on one of the directions through Central's car park). It will not take much of a rise in the water levels to completely cut the western side.

The two Warin-Ubon bridges ('town bridge' and the 'UbonRak bridge') were impassable yesterday and seemingly likely to remain so for some days unless there is a miraculous reduction in the run-off flow rate coming down the Mun River.

The only dry route yesterday from the Southern side of Ubon into the town centre involved heading east-bound along the Ring Road South and crossing over the Mun Bridge at Ring Road E. The map posted from social media above by Farma shows this and seems to imply that the recommendation was to go all the way round to the Amnat/Chayangkhul intersection to turn left off the Ring Road down Chayangkhul. Might have been the only route, though it's possible that the the Trakan Rd route would have worked or even cutting across the top end of Huai Wang Nong. I haven't seen anyone commenting on whether the Tamsun Road, that would take you past the southern end of Huai Wang Nong, is blocked (probably is, given the map above).

Source: various social media postings, but particularly your Warin South near-neighbour, Derek, who was out and about and using the eastern approaches and coming back via the Central Plaza area. Derek recommends using the Phibun Rd to get out to the Ring Road just south of the Ring Rd E Mun bridge - surmises that it is lighter traffic than using the Ring Road South.

All this is yesterday day time info. Today and the next few days could be different/worse.

Edit/PS: haven't seen anyone comment about whether that extension of Saphasit over the Mun Diversion and to Central Plaza/Ring Road West is open

Edited by SantiSuk