What options are left for British PM Johnson on Brexit?

webfact

2 hours ago, stephenterry said:

Brits have a 'long-standing and mature reputation' for reaching a consensus agreement and, as I hope Johnson told Arlene Foster, the DUuP must be willing to accept a viable compromise regarding the Irish backstop.

The British maybe, but the Ulster Unionists, compromise?

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

I don’t have to. As a European, I can live a pretty life in Thailand and laugh at how Brexiteers are destroying their country. ???? 

As soon as I read that a vision from the last century popped into my head that I recalled.

It was a bloke standing on the french shore line looking through a periscope at the white cliffs of Dover, big smile, bobbing up and down on his toes, staff behind all smiles.....

Then I smiled, cos guess what happened........????

32 minutes ago, transam said:

So you are a concentration camp kinda guy...?

"The people have spoken and should never be allowed to speak again "

you even don't understand his sarcasm …..? OMG.....! could mean after 1e lection we also could stop having any other future ones as we like the result keeping forever .. 

1 minute ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Ever since the referendum it was clear that this would end in a disaster. Everyone told you so. 

It has not ended yet, and as much as you like to deceive and say that nobody voted for no-deal, that is not true. People voted for a deal and if a deal hasn't been found within a two year period we should leave with a no deal.

But what I can say without fear of contridiction (yourself excluded of course) is that no one voted for these pointless extensions.

2 minutes ago, vogie said:

It has not ended yet, and as much as you like to deceive and say that nobody voted for no-deal, that is not true. People voted for a deal and if a deal hasn't been found within a two year period we should leave with a no deal.

But what I can say without fear of contridiction (yourself excluded of course) is that no one voted for these pointless extensions.

Those extensions are a direct result of people voting to leave with a deal and others voting to leave without a deal. And the only way out is to either frustrate some of those voters or to find a compromise. 

4 hours ago, Basil B said:

More to the point I would not think there are many actual MP's in that boat but many may well have friends and contributors of election funds who are, funny how a party contributor will donate more to a political party than they avoid in paying in tax...

Sorry BasilB in my haste I've tarred you with the no-deal nutter brush when you are nothing of the sort !

Because in the real world there are more colours than black and white - anyway looks like your new champion Boris is looking to sell you out to keep his skin (who would have thought that eh ? ) with a backstop tweaked Brino so it's time to support Nigel and the Brexit party for a clean break Brexit if you still believe in this no deal nonsense. If Boris brought the rebels back in , whipped the ERG at gunpoint , ignored the DUP and reached out to others in parliament like Stephen Kinnock who is making the right noises he would have the support of a lot of folk who just want this over without the pointless destruction No Deal would bring. It's really the only option left and we have the Rebel Alliance to thank for forcing his hand. 

Here's the withdrawal agreement - it talks about good faith not war. 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/withdrawal-agreement-and-political-declaration

6 minutes ago, david555 said:

"The people have spoken and should never be allowed to speak again "

you even don't understand his sarcasm …..? OMG.....! could mean after 1e lection we also could stop having any other future ones as we like the result keeping forever .. 

Oh, so I must look at all remainer daft stuff as sarcasm...Well thanks for the tip off, that explains a lot of things...????

Those extensions are a direct result of people voting to leave with a deal and others voting to leave without a deal. And the only way out is to either frustrate some of those voters or to find a compromise. 

I would love know to what you base your evidence on, when the only two options on the ballot paper was remain or leave, the electorate either voted leave or remain which wouldn't give you any indication of what they were thinking at the time of placing their cross, so by saying nobody voted for a no-deal is purely imaginary.

Just now, vogie said:

I would love know to what you base your evidence on

When a person voted to leave in 2016, and subsequently against May’s deal in the Commons, it is evident that there are voters who voted to leave but not with a deal. 

When a person voted to leave in 2016, and subsequently against no-deal in the Commons, it is evident that there are voters who voted to leave but not without a deal. 

7 minutes ago, transam said:

Oh, so I must look at all remainer daft stuff as sarcasm...Well thanks for the tip off, that explains a lot of things...????

That would anyway be more intelligent than give it a wrong twist who fit you better than posters real meaning 

3 minutes ago, vogie said:

I would love know to what you base your evidence on, when the only two options on the ballot paper was remain or leave, the electorate either voted leave or remain which wouldn't give you any indication of what they were thinking at the time of placing their cross, so by saying nobody voted for a no-deal is purely imaginary.

Correct, he was spouting more remain daft stuff, and they have the front to say MP's lied.......Bwaaah..

When a person voted to leave in 2016, and subsequently against May’s deal in the Commons, it is evident that there are voters who voted to leave but not with a deal. 

When a person voted to leave in 2016, and subsequently against no-deal in the Commons, it is evident that there are voters who voted to leave but not without a deal. 

The electorate didn't vote in the HoC, so that makes your argument rather pointless again.

8 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

anyway looks like your new champion Boris is looking to sell you out to keep his skin

He is not my champion...

Save his skin? not sure if when the documents that should be published today that it may prove some "Skulduggery" if so I would be content that he and others were barred from public office. (including the House of Lords) 

2 minutes ago, Basil B said:

He is not my champion...

Save his skin? not sure if when the documents that should be published today that it may prove some "Skulduggery" if so I would be content that he and others were barred from public office. (including the House of Lords) 

yes humble apologies BasilB - I like 75% of the the UK just want an end to this so the deal and then pound back to 45 I would raise a glass to. Enough is enough the British do not want NO DEAL.

5 hours ago, darksidedog said:

He knew the chalice was poisoned, yet still hungered for it, a decision he is probably already regretting. This mess gets worse by the day. I just wish they could agree to any bloody deal, just to get this disaster behind us, so we can all move on, with the Pound and Euro hopefully making some form of recovery.

Whatever they agree to and whenever that happens, currently it's only about the exit of the UK out of the EU.

The work on the trade deal and the future of the UK/EU will happend after that. 

That will keep the UK busy for years. And I am sure the UK citizens will argue about it for the next years...

Part of the electorate did vote in the HoC. Those of the electorate whose job is MP. 

Most people would concede they don't have a point, but not you, change the discussion into mindless drivel. No point in sharing rhetoric, good bye everyone, goodbye.

Now that Boris Johnson doesn’t have to dance to “Come on Arlene” the obvious choice is to isolate the backstop to NI, use the political declaration time period to work on credible “alternative arrangements” and then move on with his domestic agenda, which, as much as I dislike him, looks like a vote winner and a much better alternative to Corbyn. He also needs to reinstate the whip to the rebels. 

It’s obvious what he needs to do. The last thing he wants is to be the shortest reigning prime minister in history. 

1 minute ago, vogie said:

Most people would concede they don't have a point, but not you, change the discussion into mindless drivel. No point in sharing rhetoric, good bye everyone, goodbye.

I must agree the bloke is tiresome, but I reckon the Remain camp also know that..????

1 minute ago, AlexRich said:

Now that Boris Johnson doesn’t have to dance to “Come on Arlene” the obvious choice is to isolate the backstop to NI, use the political declaration time period to work on credible “alternative arrangements” and then move on with his domestic agenda, which, as much as I dislike him, looks like a vote winner and a much better alternative to Corbyn. He also needs to reinstate the whip to the rebels. 

It’s obvious what he needs to do. The last thing he wants is to be the shortest reigning prime minister in history. 

Winston Churchill didn't last that long but he got the job done..

Archived